Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

mood swung wrote:
Blue and Red: are you cushion tossers? :lol:
Wow what a personal question!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Monk wrote:he's found his level :wink:
I'll take it! He's been excellent. Great attitude as well. Clearly here to work hard and not just pick up a check.

BlueChair, Neil Young, Gordon Lightfoot, Alex Trebeck, Celine Dion... your boys took one hell of a beating! :wink:
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Gilli, you have a filthy mind. I like it! :lol:

JPA is welcome and adored at this level.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:BlueChair, Neil Young, Gordon Lightfoot, Alex Trebeck, Celine Dion... your boys took one hell of a beating! :wink:
:lol:

I hope other people know the great quote you got that from!
ps you forgot Diana Krall :)

I'm pleased to say David Beckham proved me wrong last night. He played very well. The worrying thing though is that we have gone backwards in that we are only creating chances from Beckham crosses or set plays. Nothing's really changed. The problems are still there although we did learn that Wes Brown is not international standard.

Full credit to Estonia for not defending for 90 minutes. And thanks again to John Terry who helped me win at the bookmakers with the correct score :D That last minute clearance off the line sent some money to me care of William Hill. I'm in the pub buying drinks tonight if you'd care to join me!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Full credit to Estonia for not defending for 90 minutes. And thanks again to John Terry who helped me win at the bookmakers with the correct score :D That last minute clearance off the line sent some money to me care of William Hill. I'm in the pub buying drinks tonight if you'd care to join me!
hehe

I was following the match on another forum and someone called it a "crucial clearance" by Terry, which I objected to, seeing as the match was in injury time and England were 3-0 up. Little did I know... :D

Here's the context of that "one hell of a beating quote"...

'Lord Nelson! Lord Beaverbrook! Sir Winston Churchill! Sir Anthony Eden! Clement Attlee! Henry Cooper! Lady Diana! Maggie Thatcher - can you hear me, Maggie Thatcher! Your boys took one hell of a beating! Your boys took one hell of a beating!'

Said by Bjorge Lillelien on Norwegian TV
When Norway beat England 2-1 in Oslo in a World Cup qualifier in Sept 1981

Lillelien's gloriously over-the-top response to Norway's unlikely victory over Ron Greenwood's side marked the high watermark of football commentary as social commentary. Passionate, uninhibited and a bit weird, football fans everywhere from Scotland to Argentina knew exactly what he was saying: that there is no pleasure as sweet as beating England at their own game.

It would be great if we could get RedShoes and BlueChair on the Toronto FC bandwagon.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

So Beckham's the hero now is he? God I hate the way we overreact in this country. He plays a half decent friendly and has a good game against estonia (who haven't even scored yet in this the qualifiers!) and suddenly we should forget that he has failed miserably at 5 successive major tournaments and played major direct-part in our exits in 1998 and 2002.

I like the guy and always have. I think he has an important role to play in the qualifiers and is one of the best crossers of the ball in the world.......against the likes of Estonia and Macedonia....and even a level up against Columbia or Denmark. Beckham has always produced in qualifiers......it's going up a level he has issues with.

He is not is the answer to our biggest problem.....a gross lack of creativity from midfield. Much has been made of his axeing being about personality and McClaren's worry about his influence. I think a more accurate assessment is that McClaren realised that playing Beckham leads to over-dependency on set-pieces. That will get you somewhere in Tallinn or Helsinki....it won't win world cups or European Championships. McClaren's error was in thinking that we had the players to overcome the loss of Beckham....clearly we haven't.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

If you don't want him, we'll take him off your hands. Here, Becks, I have your citizenship forms right here.

We'll let England keep Posh.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:If you don't want him, we'll take him off your hands. Here, Becks, I have your citizenship forms right here.

We'll let England keep Posh.
He'll do very well in the MSL.....where he'll get even more space than Estonia gave him.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

You can't even get the league name right - what do you know about it? :wink:

I understand that MLS is nowhere near the level of the PL, but the dismissive attitude of some toward the league is starting to cheese me off. The Guardian's crew of cheeky chappies are serial offenders. Few if any of their writers know anything about the standard of play over here, yet they dismiss it out of hand.

Last night's Toronto-Red Bulls match was more entertaining than 3/4 of the PL matches I watched this season.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:You can't even get the league name right - what do you know about it? :wink:

I understand that MLS is nowhere near the level of the PL, but the dismissive attitude of some toward the league is starting to cheese me off. The Guardian's crew of cheeky chappies are serial offenders. Few if any of their writers know anything about the standard of play over here, yet they dismiss it out of hand.

Last night's Toronto-Red Bulls match was more entertaining than 3/4 of the PL matches I watched this season.
MLS or MSL...makes no difference.
You guys can't even get the name of the game right!! :lol:

I know Juan Pablo Angel was given every chance here and only progressed from ass to donkey.

Entertainment is important.....but then, you are a Chelsea fan....so anything would be an improvement!
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Har har... :roll:

At least Chelsea don't leak goals like the Good Ship Tottenham. Talk about a shaky back line. God help us if we're seriously interested in Chimbonda. And then there's that overrated tub of lard Robinson in goal. Seriously, is he the best that England has?
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

:P
corruptio optimi pessima
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I know Juan Pablo Angel was given every chance here and only progressed from ass to donkey.

...and now he's found success with the team affectionately known as the red donkeys! You know more about this league than you're letting on, sir. :lol:

Closet Chivas fan, no doubt. :P

What's amazing to me is how the word 'Beckham' has replaced 'yo mama' in smackdowns.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

mood swung wrote:

...and now he's found success with the team affectionately known as the red donkeys! You know more about this league than you're letting on, sir. :lol:

Closet Chivas fan, no doubt. :P

What's amazing to me is how the word 'Beckham' has replaced 'yo mama' in smackdowns.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
corruptio optimi pessima
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Jackson Monk wrote:He is not is the answer to our biggest problem.....a gross lack of creativity from midfield...I think a more accurate assessment is that McClaren realised that playing Beckham leads to over-dependency on set-pieces. That will get you somewhere in Tallinn or Helsinki....it won't win world cups or European Championships. McClaren's error was in thinking that we had the players to overcome the loss of Beckham....clearly we haven't.
That's pretty much what I was saying.
Jackson Monk wrote:
Who Shot Sam? wrote:You can't even get the league name right - what do you know about it? :wink:
MLS or MSL...makes no difference.
You guys can't even get the name of the game right!! :lol:
A fine retort sir!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

"Soccer" was first coined by the English (as an abbreviation of "association football"). Since gridiron has long been established in North America as football (God knows why), it would cause quite a bit of confusion if we were to call both sports by the same name. So it's more a matter of convenience than ignorance.

At least we can design a decent logo! :D :D
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:At least we can design a decent logo! :D :D
God it's awful isnt it. £400k for that shite :roll:
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I see a few people have emerged now to try to defend it. I don't see how you can. It's just awful in every sense. Surely at some point in the process someone must have objected to it.

Are they really going to keep it?
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Har har... :roll:

At least Chelsea don't leak goals like the Good Ship Tottenham. Talk about a shaky back line. God help us if we're seriously interested in Chimbonda. And then there's that overrated tub of lard Robinson in goal. Seriously, is he the best that England has?
:shock: Good ship Tottenham? Dont like Chimbonda? tub of lard Robinson? Oy! these are my heros you are dissing here - go wash your mouth out with soap and go to your room and stay there you gloryhog supporter!! :lol:

PS Beckham for England captain!! :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Don't rise to it Gilli. I see that Chelski are after that cheat Alves - he'll get on very well with Drogba, Carvalho and the like :lol:

I guess losing one cheat (Robben) means they have to replace him with another.

Still, that's good because it means we keep Chimmy, who is the best right back in the country in my opinion 8)
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I like Beckham's return. He's being quite low-key about it, and showing some superb skill whilst at it. He was nowhere in Germany, but I'd more than happy to see him deliver in 2008, and it would be a nice swan-song.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:I like Beckham's return. He's being quite low-key about it, and showing some superb skill whilst at it. He was nowhere in Germany, but I'd more than happy to see him deliver in 2008, and it would be a nice swan-song.
I too would like to see nothing more. I like the idea of a real fruitful comeback. He's always been under more pressure than most to pefrom....but he created a lot of that pressure himself. High expectation is often a compliment.
corruptio optimi pessima
mood swung

sure, it wasn't Estonia, but

Post by mood swung »

Go, Mostest! Bad, Gooch! Timmy Howard is the Bombdiggity. Eddie Johnson, wtf is wrong with you? That Donovan kid can play( :P Sam) - who knew he had a temper?

Bring on T&T.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

We were hanging on for dear life after Gooch got sent off. He's really digging himself a hole with his lack of awareness and stupid tackles. I had high hopes for him after the WC, but he has really been a huge disappointment. Ruiz ran circles around Gooch.

Nice goal by Twellman/Dempsey though. Twellman should have buried that header to make it 2-0.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Twellman should BE buried
fixed your post.