What Do You Treasure?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
mood swung

What Do You Treasure?

Post by mood swung »

this ain't no Miss America contest - significant others, children, family, opportunities, health - those are all gimmes. I hate to dust, really really hate to dust, would rather scrub the men's latrine at Alf's on a Sunday morning than dust, but I have a few little perfume bottles that I lovingly polish every now and then. They aren't antiques, they're just pretty. Also a complete collection of 101 Dalmations snowglobes that McDonald's sold one Christmas. If my house were on fire, I wouldn't run back in to save them, but I'd miss them if they were gone.

so, what do you treasure?
Like me, the "g" is silent.
selfmademug

Re: What Do You Treasure?

Post by selfmademug »

mood swung wrote: significant others, children, family, opportunities, health - those are all gimmes.

so, what do you treasure?
Good caveat!

Among other things, I treasure the now-beat-to-shit black motorcycle boots I bought myself as a 30th bday present (a looong time ago).
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Oooh, I have a beat-up pair of shoes I treasure, too! A pair of Cole-Haan loafers that I bought probably 20 years ago when $150 was an insane amount of money for me to spend on a pair of shoes. They are fit only for gardening, now.

My grandmother's cedar chest. I would go into a burning house to get it.

A Santa Claus made of ribbon and beads that decorated a gift my aunt gave to me on my first Christmas. I hang it on my Christmas tree every year, and I cry every time I look at it.

All my kids' baby stuff that everyone saves. Locks of hair, tiny bonnets, ID bracelets, that kind of stuff.

My KitchenAid stand mixer.

Peace and Quiet.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
tallulah

Post by tallulah »

My lovely friends, most especially Miss SMM and my bff in New York.

Also: old family photos of my grandparents, random rocks from all over and specifically a piece of tile I found on the beach in Capri. And, lastly, music which saves my life almost daily.
And I was happy to be alive, in a magic world.
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

I don't think there's anything else better than a clean kitchen, tunes on the stereo, an ice cold beer, and cooking an incredible meal for friends and family.

Especially if the beer is Young's Double Chocolate Stout.
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

The perfect upstream dry-fly cast to a finnicky caddis-sipping brown trout, usually delivered by my 9 fott 5 weight Sage VPS, on the Current River, on a crisp early spring morning, the sun warming my back but my nose as cold as a ticket-takers smile at the Ivar Theatre.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

I still have the first eyeliner I ever bought. It was $1.29, and has been used for all manner of cosmetic purposes which I won't own up to now. Let's just say I had a unique sense of fashion at twelve. And thirteen. Now it is perfect for doing my inside rims, and I would be so sad to lose it...
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Speaking of shoes, my favourite pair is getting a bit worn now - a pair of sporty Asics felt-y mountain-y boots that are really comfortable and versatile. I can't find pair like or similar to them anywhere now. All they seem to have is super stylized ultra-chunky numbers.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

As long as we are talking about objects and not people....

My grandmother clock
My old tatty toy bunny I got when I was one year old
My late grandmothers earrings which I always wear
My box of hundreds of buttons from my late aunt - it is full of wonderful memories
My late grandfathers watch which was never off his wrist
My childrens various works of art etc from schooldays
Hundreds of old photos

None of the above are worth anything in money value apart from the clock but they are precious things which could never be replaced.
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

My baseball card collection - lots of valuable stuff in there, including a near-complete set of 1952 Bowman cards (not including Mickey Mantle - that's about a thousand dollars - but it does have Willie Mays, Yogi Berra and a bunch of other greats). The cards are paintings derived from photos, and there's something strangely compelling about them that is completely missing in the over-stylized 3D Super Action sets produced today. These are little miniature works of art, and if I ever win the lottery I'm buying that Mantle card!

Here's Duke Snider:

Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

My wedding ring

Photos of my 12 years of marriage and all the things we've done

My six-string acoustic (1st anniversary present, and main guitar I play at home--probably the one I would try to save first in case of a fire).

Autographed Cal Ripken, Jr. 1983 (World Series winning season) card.

Criterion Collection Brazil

Beatles LPs
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Emotional Toothpaste - that wouldn't be this Current River, would it?

little martinet

Post by little martinet »

-My University ring, my 'X-Ring' - it's a big thing at the school I graduated from (and am now attending again)...everybody here gets one and attends a special ceremony in December of your senior year to get it (most grads consider 'X-Ring night' a bigger thing than graduation). My brothers, sister and many relatives all went to this school and we all have 'em...they are known (somewhat) across Canada, people think we're all in a cult of some sort...!

-a silver chain with a whale tail pendant that my brother gave to me as a Christmas present, I wear it all the time and it's kind of my good-luck charm..and when I lived out West it was a comforting reminder of the East coast!

-my guitar. I'm NOT the greatest player in the world (and I don't play it as often as I should), but it was a gift from my Dad (and he's where I get my love of music from!)

-My music collection, since it's provided me with endless hours of joy!
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Goody2Shoes wrote:Peace and Quiet.
Yes!

And a have a 600mm plastic t-square that I've had since I was 16, but if I lost it I would just "let go".
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

Cute romantic notes from Blue.

Memories of Europe.

My stuffed animal koala ("Chip") I've had since birth. I re-found it in a massive attic-clean out a few years back.

A very, very worn out shirt that was once my dad's from Australia. It now only says Aust ia...but I still love it.

Family photos.

The boss being out of town for the second week in a row.
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Mood Swung-

Yep, same river. Let me guess, is your picture looking downstream from the Tan Vat access?

I love that river. You flyfish?

ET

[/img]
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

ET, no I don't flyfish (but thanks for the chuckle I got from imagining myself trying to do so!) and it's a stolen picture, BUT I have fished a spot that looks a lot like that one with my dad a long time ago. I think I mostly complained about the cold, and he caught some trout! We once lived in Van Buren, and I spent every available minute on that water, fishing, swimming or just floating. Beautiful beautiful place - you are lucky to be near it!
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Walks or runs down along the lake along the cycletrack.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

The stuffed Woodstock that Doc gave me in college when we first met - that I still have

That I got a second chance to find real love in this life

The memory of my brother when I hug my nephew

When my daughter's friends tell me they would rather be at our house than their own homes

My wooded and rocky mountain yard and all it's natural beauty

When I volunteer at the boys' school and they're not too embarassed to wave at me or hug me in front of their friends

That Doc and I were able to drag all four kids to Munich (and make it back home with no major disasters!), and especially pics of the kids in the English Gardens

Oh yeah, and KOA :)
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Looks like I'm going to have to try a bit harder to worm myself into your heart Spooky!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Oh, Verbal. I guess I thought it was obvious that I love my fellow board members. :wink:
verbal gymnastics

But this is about ME! :lol:
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Very well then.

Oh, Verbal, I think about you night and day. You rock my world. The only reason I didn't already post these special feelings is because I thought it was just between you and I, but apparently you are ready to share this with the rest of the board. I treasure you ever so much - you are what keeps my heart beating.

There, is that what you were looking for? :lol:
verbal gymnastics

It'll do as a start :lol:
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

My mp3 player.
signed with love and vicious kisses