Terror in London

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

Terror in London

Post by BlueChair »

Are our London friends on the board okay? This is not the news I want to be waking up to.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Scary news. Certainly hope everyone is safe and sound.

From everything else I'm reading now, definitely sounds like a coordinated series of terrorist attacks. My thoughts are with everyone in London.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Miss Macbeth

Post by Miss Macbeth »

I think there have also been reports of blasts at Aldgate East, Edgware Rd, Kings Cross, Moorgate, and Russell Square tube stations. Blair is making a live televised statement on the explosions at 1200 BST.
"Did you ever think there's far too many people in the world"?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I just saw this and immediately thought of all the board members who live around there. This is just horrible and I hope you guys are okay.

I will stop typing now and watch the live statement from Blair.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Enough about Blair, what about my hair?

Sad news.
Last edited by bambooneedle on Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Drama here this morning. My 15 year old son was in a right old state - his dad and wife live in London and his brother rang to say his dad had taken her to work this morning and both their mobile phones were dead. She uses Aldgate station which was one of the ones hit by bombing. We had a horrible hour ringing round trying to find out if they were ok.

All is well - both are ok but his dad had a lucky escape. He had dropped his wife off and decided to walk back as its about twenty min walk- got to Aldgate station and was getting some cash out of a hole in the wall when he heard the bomb blast!

More frantic ringing round ensued to my daughter and nephews all of which use the London tubes - everyone is safe thank god.
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Gillibeanz wrote:Drama here this morning. My 15 year old son was in a right old state - his dad and wife live in London and his brother rang to say his dad had taken her to work this morning and both their mobile phones were dead. She uses Aldgate station which was one of the ones hit by bombing. We had a horrible hour ringing round trying to find out if they were ok.

All is well - both are ok but his dad had a lucky escape. He had dropped his wife off and decided to walk back as its about twenty min walk- got to Aldgate station and was getting some cash out of a hole in the wall when he heard the bomb blast!

More frantic ringing round ensued to my daughter and nephews all of which use the London tubes - everyone is safe thank god.
Glad to hear they're all safe Gilli. Frightening scenes.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

My thoughts are with you guys and with those who are suffering from these attacks.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

This sounds very frightening and awful...but I have to say, wouldn't the thread have been better named, "Panic on the Streets of London"? Is it just way too inappropriate of me to say that?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Terrible stuff. Luckily I'm nowhere near London today.
signed with love and vicious kisses
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

I woke up to this news as well....scary scary stuff.

My thoughts are with all of you in London. I hope all your loved ones are ok.

I have a friend currently traveling around the UK - I know she was in London for Live8...I hope she's ok....
Poppet

plaything or pet checks in!

Post by Poppet »

got an email from our favorite pet bunny this a.m. (my a.m., her 1pm)

she's fine, and asked me to drop a note here since she can't access from work and may not be online for a bit.

hugs to all my buds on the far side of the pond from here!!!!!
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

miss buenos aires wrote:This sounds very frightening and awful...but I have to say, wouldn't the thread have been better named, "Panic on the Streets of London"? Is it just way too inappropriate of me to say that?
Definitions of terror on the Web:

panic: an overwhelming feeling of fear and anxiety

I wasn't implying any sense of responsibility, terror is terror, despite the fact that people automatically think Islamic militants when the word is mentioned.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Blue, I was making a Smiths reference.

And I really am relieved that everyone is okay, I wasn't trying to make light of it.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Must have missed that one, MBA. Sorry!
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Been in North London this morning. I sometimes use mainline rail and then take the tube back out. However, the underground has always felt vulnerable to this kind of attack and I have been put off in recent years....I took the car.

On my way out of town at 10.30, I guessed something was wrong when I kept hearing and seeing emergency vehicles racing the other way into the capital from the motorway. There'll be a lot of worried people whose loved ones won't be home tonight. Words are not enough.
corruptio optimi pessima
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

The people who perform these cowardly acts will not stop with diplomacy. It makes us all feel better to assume we can relate on some rational plane, but the foundation upon which terrorism is based is irrational and unstoppable unless force is met with an oppossing force of equal or greater might.

The mission of those who attack covertly, without warning, and indiscriminately is to eradicate western influence. Not neutralize it. Not diminish it. Eradicate it, every man, woman, and child. We were stunned to hear of a shooting in NY (Westchester County) yesterday were a perfectly innocent woman and mother was gunned down by an ex-con (con) for one simple reason: she was white. He expressed his MO as an imperative to kill any representative of the white lifestyle. He chose her because he couldn't stand how she opened her car door in the parking garage.

Irrational behaviour, no? Why isn't this big news?

But completely consistent with the acts of the terrorist. We either take the battle to them, or they will continue...and I use that word selectively, continue to take the battle to us. It will happen again, especially as public support for the anti-terror efforts diminish. It will happen again. Big cities.

God Bless and Keep all in London and thereabouts who are affected by these assholes, whatever their mission. Our prayers are with you.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
bobster

Post by bobster »

We wake up a bit later here on the West Coast and I was really worried when my radio came on and I heard live broadcasts of breifings prefaced only by "coverage of the bombing of London" and I feared something even worse.

Anyhow, right now my thoughts are with all our London-based posters. We've heard from Gillibeanz, Jackson Monk, So Lack and I gather from Poppet's post, Lapinsjoli (who I didn't even know was anywhere near London! She's from Florida....).

That leaves Otis, Anjabro, BWAP, Verbal and I'm sure I've left out a few people. Hopefully, we'll hear from all of them shortly.

Anyhow, this is a threat which I suspect, sadly will continue around the world. I'm sure New Yorkers are having some unpleasant memories today, and we in So. California are foolish if we think we'll remain eternally untouched. In fact, after 9-11, I expected this kind of thing to happen a lot more all over the world, including the U.S. We've been lucky so far.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

bobster wrote:I gather from Poppet's post, Lapinsjoli (who I didn't even know was anywhere near London! She's from Florida....)
I think that's Plaything or Pet, neé Utilitarian Bunny.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

tks for the clarification!

yes, <b>Plaything or Pet</b> is fine.

sorry for unclarity.

(there's more than one bunny. i like bunnies.)

i haven't finished my first cuppa joe this morning.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

i want to go STOMP on the people who did this, who think it's okay to go around bombing other folks. particularly those who say 'god told me to' before they set off the bombs.

i still haven't finished my first cuppa coffee. it's a BIG cup.

::imagine lots of horribly colorful swear words to descibe those g-d m-fs::

london! i LOVE london. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

and there's nothing i can do to be helpful, other than what i've done. i should be working.
double dutchess

Post by double dutchess »

I don't know what to say, but as an American, I always feel the need to say something (that's a joke).

I'm relieved that everyone and their loved ones are all right so far, and I will keep checking this thread until everyone is accounted for. My heart goes out to all of you and your beautiful city.
Last edited by double dutchess on Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wasn't born the sharpest thorn
Misha

Post by Misha »

Oh God. I feel just as freakin useless as I did with the NYC attack.

I'm going to feel much better when VG checks in .....and everyone else.

I'm thinkin of all of you.

I hate fundamentalist anythings. I don't get how this helps anyone's cause.

:cry: misha
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I spoke with VG a couple of days ago and he said he was away until Friday, he only posts from work. As he's out of town he's ok. Also been in touch with BWAP today, he's ok (I guess).
signed with love and vicious kisses
Misha

Post by Misha »

Thanks.

I'm going to feel better as we account for everyone.

I don't understand humans.
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?