Growin' ma hair long...

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

How hair is trimmed is fascinating to me, especially fringes, but so, on the other extreme, is hair where there is no discernible 'end' to it. The latter is a very hot look sometimes, which could suit you, SG. Anyone with a sublime neck should tie their hair back more often. It's also interesting to me when someone is trying very hard to defy the basic physical properties of their raw material, especially those who have obviously gone to get their hair "sculpted".
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I've just had my hair cut to a number one. Just as we've lost the good weather :lol:

The grey ones are showing though :cry:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Well, verbal, I think premature gray looks very handsome on a man!
verbal gymnastics

MBA - I'm 43 next month. Does that count as premature?
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

I agree with MBA. It looks distinguished.

My brother gets me to cut (shear is a better word) his hair and I always feel sorry for his grey ones. :lol:
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

Add my vote of support to the pro-gray-hair-on-men platform. One of the cruelest sexual inequities! Why can't my gray hair make ME look smarter and sexier? :roll:
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Unfortunately, most natural aging characteristics are more accepted for men than women. But I don't see anything wrong with grey hair on either sex. Doc has had grey hair for most of his adult life and he constantly gets compliments on it. As for women, Emmylou sure makes it work.

miss buenos aires

verbal gymnastics wrote:MBA - I'm 43 next month. Does that count as premature?
Yeah, why the hell not?
verbal gymnastics

Mechanical Grace wrote:Why can't my gray hair make ME look smarter and sexier? :roll:
Because you're smart and sexy enough as it is. It wouldn't be fair to the other women.

It's funny looking in the mirror (well, even funnier than usual :lol: ) because my sideburns grow at different rates so one side is slightly thicker than the other. This looks odd because one side is grey and thick and the other side is grey and thin :?

One thing I have noticed about when I have my hair cut as a number one is that women love to rub the top of my head. Naturally I complain :lol:
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Maybe I should do that too. I've been contemplating a number 4 or so. Haven't been short for ages, though I was bald as a student (needless to say with two 3-4 inch antennae en route...). The grey comments are welcome, I'm getting pissed off with the rate of change, and I'm younger than VG!

Had a vivid dream last night where I grew a nice even full face beard. Have abandoned facial hair as it's now TOOO grey, but when I wore it, it was goatee stylie as I have too many patches at the sides where I look like a 14 year old without proper hair, just tufts. I want to be a man and grow a real beard!

Just back from Spain, and the mullet is incredibly live and kicking there, to my teenage son's utter amazement (with a typical English kid's outlook that mullet = deathly insult). I'm not alone in being struck by this:

http://www.travelpod.com/cgi-bin/guest. ... b_PID=tpod

You also get girls with mullets (and short fringes). There's no name for it, apparently.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
You also get girls with mullets (and short fringes). There's no name for it, apparently.
In my neck of the woods, that style is oh-so-imaginatively referred to as the "girl mullet".
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
Otis Westinghouse

I meant no name in Spanish for 'mullet', as in the hair, chico o chica.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Ohhhhhh, okay. Yes, I see now. Sorry. My mistake.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
miss buenos aires

Apparently the Swedish word for mullet translates as "hockey hairdo." And the German one is an abbreviation for "short in the front, long in the back."

Otis, where exactly do you live? The first place I ever saw ironic fashion mullets was in London. But that was --oh my goodness-- three and a half years ago, so maybe that trend is long dead.
Otis Westinghouse

Ironic only, and not a trend I was aware of. So many connotations of Bono, Le Bon et al at their worst, not to mention all the 80s footballers. In Spain it's just incredibly common, no irony, just a teenage badge of identity.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

In my neck of the woods, that style is oh-so-imaginatively referred to as the "girl mullet".
"she-mullet" here.
Like me, the "g" is silent.