Random Thoughts

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

If you want to know more about silicone-based agricultural pesticides or herbicides I'm you man. I can also help you with any questions you mighnt have about low-density microcellular foam.

How did I get involved in this line of work? :?
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Wasabi green peas - übersnack or vile Japanese import? I vote for the former.
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

Definitely the former. And, paired with a really good pint of ale, a combination to rival milk and cookies.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

StrictTime wrote:One of his favourite pastimes is starting a conversation: 'Hey Cate, Elvis Costello sucks.'
That's like some young people I've met who think that Elvis Costello, no matter how much of a brainy genius he is, and what level of undeniable rock star status he carries, is still some sort of irredeemably uncool nerd... weird. One of them even told me that she thought Elvis was "the super sneaky type".
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

oily slick is a fun guy. so much fun, in fact, that he can almost make baseball interesting.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

That's like some young people I've met who think that Elvis Costello, no matter how much of a brainy genius he is, and what level of undeniable rock star status he carries, is still some sort of irredeemably uncool nerd...
Most people my age just go 'Who?' Barring that, it's 'Oh he's cool. I like that song, Pump It Up,' or 'I hate that guy, he's so dumb.'

....My little brother of course, hates him because I love him. It is all redeemed, though, by the 13 year old who has started putting Elvis tracks on his iPod. Gives me the warm fuzzies.
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

i likes warm fuzzies.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Mechanical Grace wrote:Definitely the former. And, paired with a really good pint of ale, a combination to rival milk and cookies.
I like them with bourbon and coffee, myself.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

it's been a bad couple of days to be old.

and famous.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

It's very difficult to focus on work when all you can think about is the 5 days that remain until your wedding. At least tomorrow is my last day.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

StrictTime wrote:....My little brother of course, hates him because I love him. It is all redeemed, though, by the 13 year old who has started putting Elvis tracks on his iPod. Gives me the warm fuzzies.
Has started? Are you recommending anything in particular to him?
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

bambooneedle wrote: Has started? Are you recommending anything in particular to him?
No, not at all. I find it much better to have him discover things on his own. He's a lot like me in that way. You recommend something, maybe, but if you tell us to listen to something, we have an allergic reaction. Ruined David Bowie for me (and him, I quite suspect) until further notice.
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Did they change April Fool's to August without telling me?

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... ertainment
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

BlueChair wrote:It's very difficult to focus on work when all you can think about is the 5 days that remain until your wedding. At least tomorrow is my last day.
Wedding plans (and worries) consume you up until the wedding and the speeches are over. It's only then that you can really relax.

Good luck to you both for your wedding day. And I hope your faces don't hurt too much from the permanent smiling!

See you next week!!!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

StrictTime wrote:
bambooneedle wrote: Has started? Are you recommending anything in particular to him?
No, not at all. I find it much better to have him discover things on his own. He's a lot like me in that way. You recommend something, maybe, but if you tell us to listen to something, we have an allergic reaction. Ruined David Bowie for me (and him, I quite suspect) until further notice.
The obsessive level of Bowie admiring does sometimes get out of control ... 8)
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

bambooneedle wrote:The obsessive level of Bowie admiring does sometimes get out of control ... 8)
That's my dad to a 'T.' I come from a long line of music obsessives.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

I'm getting a mattress delivered on Monday. How much should I tip the people who deliver it?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Do they have to carry it up 5 flights or something?

If not, $5 to each guy.
verbal gymnastics

I played Power Rangers with my 3 year old nephew last night and ran around the garden in my work suit killing imaginary baddies. Having played with him for ages he decided he did not want me to go to his 4th birthday party in in a few weeks' time.

When I told Mrs VG she asked me if she was invited to his party. I had to reply that I didn't ask because I couldn't have coped with the rejection had he said she could go but I couldn't. :lol:
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

My little guy loves Power Rangers. I've tried to discourage him, but to no avail. When it comes on, he gets out his plastic Star Wars light sabre and jumps around in front of the TV, laying waste to imaginary villains and making explode-y sounds.
verbal gymnastics

:lol: Cool!

It's funny playing this with my nephew as I have not got a clue about Power Rangers. Every now and then I have to jump and kick imaginary baddies whilst shouting "Ya!".

I used to also play Biker Mice From Mars (don't ask :lol: ) with him and this meant crawling around on the floor pushing a giant mouse around on his motorcycle.

The things we do :lol:
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

verbal gymnastics wrote:I used to also play Biker Mice From Mars (don't ask :lol: ) with him and this meant crawling around on the floor pushing a giant mouse around on his motorcycle.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Do they have to carry it up 5 flights or something?

If not, $5 to each guy.
Nah, it's on the first floor. $5 sounds kind of low, but I have a tendency to overtip.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Cultural difference: if you were paying to have a mattress delivered here, you wouldn't tip.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

miss buenos aires wrote:I'm getting a mattress delivered on Monday. How much should I tip the people who deliver it?
Don't decide on anything to do with a tip until they have completed the delivery. I had a questionable delivery service try to coax a sympathy tip from me. The goons weren't even part of the sale deal, the timber company had hired them. But they asked me for a $30 tip, because "aw, we brought it down two flights of stairs", "we were really extra careful not to chip it around corners" (did anyway, well minor denting), "this job took us ages because we had to be extra careful loading it in the truck".... things already they get paid to do! And they had this phony sprightly enthusiasm about them, as if they really cared about placing it exactly where it went and everything... it was ridiculous. So they got nothing.
Last edited by bambooneedle on Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.