Random Thoughts

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Thanks spooky! We'll give it a go.
[Images of WSS lighting up the candles and merrily pouring wax all over his finest linen as he dutifully gives it a go]
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
Who Shot Sam? wrote:Thanks spooky! We'll give it a go.
[Images of WSS lighting up the candles and merrily pouring wax all over his finest linen as he dutifully gives it a go]
By "we" I meant my wife. Letting me anywhere near an iron is a very bad idea.
spooky girlfriend wrote:WSS: I forgot to tell you that I enjoyed your idea of using Grand Marnier over cranberry. YUM! I have a recipe where I mix cranberry with Amaretto, and topped with white chocolate pudding and heavy cream, but had never tried your idea. It was tasty. :)
Glad to hear you liked it. Citrus and cranberries are a good match.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Mad About You. Man that was one seriously unfunny show.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Mad About You. Man that was one seriously unfunny show.
It would have been best for everyone if Reiser had quit after Diner. Mad About You actually upset me - made me angry - another show that did that was The Single Guy.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

El Vez wrote:Mad About You. Man that was one seriously unfunny show.
Not as bad as many, many others I could name. Wings, for one.
Last edited by miss buenos aires on Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boy With A Problem

Not as bad as many, many other I could name. Wings, for one
Another guy that should have quit after Diner.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

miss buenos aires wrote:
El Vez wrote:Mad About You. Man that was one seriously unfunny show.
Not as bad as many, many others I could name. Wings, for one.
It's not that there aren't shows worse than Mad About You, my God take a look at Manimal or Drawn Together sometime....or better yet don't, it's that the Reiser/Hunt vehicle had a sheen of class and respectability about it that just made it insufferable. The show's observations about relationships were depressingly toothless, its supporting cast unfunny to the point of being a masochistic exercise in anti-timing and each and every episode had this aggravating presumption to act like it was this smart piece of quality tv that taught us something about ourselves while making us laugh.

BWAP - It was important for Reiser to stick around to subvert his image to brilliant effect in Aliens but after that, yeah, it would have been a big favor to pop culture if he had stayed off my tv and, especially, out of the movie theaters.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Aw, come on. Drawn Together is trash of the very best sort. :D
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

selfmademug wrote:Aw, come on. Drawn Together is trash of the very best sort. :D
You had me right up till "of."
bobster

Post by bobster »

Pretty much with you EV on "Drawn Together" and it's really gross and witless grossness though it does make laugh about twice an episode (one of my housemates really likes it) which is more than I can say for...well, I don't really need to mention that other animated show I loathe whose initials are "Family Guy".

"Mad About You" was alright, I guess. "Must tolerate TV" -- I think Paul Reiser is a reasonably funny guy and Helen Hunt is a very good and funny actress, but, yeah, it got old real quick and was pretty dang overrated. There is a bit of that Thirtysomething preciousness about it.

"Wings" -- a bit of a guilty pleasure I picked up from my roommate at the time USA was airing this in constant reruns. Nothing special at all, but it was sort of redeemed by having William Hickey on it for a few episodes and by introducing me to the brilliance of Tony Shalhoub -- I sat through entire episodes just because of his character. Actually never cared for Thomas Haden Church on it...who knew "Sideways" was coming?

Actually, my own choice for the most overrated-and-therefore-annoying show ever is "Northern Exposure" -- to me, forced quirkiness at its worst. I still can't figure out how it was that David Chase (of "The Sopranos" and "Rockford Files") was involved with it....maybe not the episodes I saw!
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

bobster wrote:which is more than I can say for...well, I don't really need to mention that other animated show I loathe whose initials are "Family Guy".
Sorry bobster, but you're one of the only people I know who feels that way about "Family Guy". Last night's episode was ace.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I returned from holiday at 3am on Sunday and by 11am was on the phone organising our painters, decorators, carpet fitter and builders about various bits and pieces before going out food shopping. Welcome Home VG :cry:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

My doctor put me on fucking blood pressure medicine. :twisted:
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

I recently rented both the original King Kong and the Dino "Shitty Megaproducer" De Laurentiis remake because I'm psyched about seeing what Peter Jackson does with the material. It's been years and years since I've seen either version and I was blown away by the Cooper/Schoedsack Kong. Absolutely one of the greatest films ever made. The '76 version is, to put it kindly, not one for the ages but I will say that, in her prime, Jessica Lange could melt the sorrow off a recent widow.
bobster

Post by bobster »

I really want to see this again before the Jackson film comes out. It's a real favorite (I used to list it, half-tongue-in-cheek, as one of my three all time "greatest" films), but it's been so long since I've seen it I need to renew my acquaintance.

As for the Dino De Laurentis version. That one or two viewings in my teens was probably enough.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Boy With A Problem

aaaggghhhhhhhh - I have to move again - landlord made redundant and sent back to the UK - same thing happened last summer - fuck shit - mail going everywhere - packing shit up, banging into walls, stressing over security deposits - shit fuck damn.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Boy With A Problem wrote:aaaggghhhhhhhh - I have to move again - landlord made redundant and sent back to the UK - same thing happened last summer - fuck shit - mail going everywhere - packing shit up, banging into walls, stressing over security deposits - shit fuck damn.
I'm sure so lack wouldn't mind if you and the Mrs. moved in for a while. ;-)

All the makings of a sit-com...

Seriously, that's a bummer.
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Move your US base, you mean? Confusing. Oh wait, now I get it; absent/overseas landlord. In any case, that sucks, and I'm sorry to hear it.

I HATE moving and am resolved to stay in this place for another 20 years (with possible year-long hosing swaps in exotic locales :D ).

I send virtual pecan pie as a consolation prize. And to get it the foo away from my own greedy self...
Last edited by selfmademug on Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boy With A Problem

I'm sure so lack wouldn't mind if you and the Mrs. moved in for a while.
I'm betting that they go into hiding until this blows over. :)
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

If you don't hear from me in a while.........
signed with love and vicious kisses
Boy With A Problem

SM Mug wrote:
Move your US base, you mean? Confusing. Oh wait, now I get it; absent/overseas landlord. In any case, that sucks, and I'm sorry to hear it.
Our US tenant seems to be pretty permanent - he's moved even more shit in than we moved out - also he bought a big boat over the summer making it less likely that he can afford to buy his own house any time soon.

This will make our 3rd UK residence in just under two years. suck.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I'm sorry, BWAP. It's difficult enough to pack and unpack a damn suitcase once you travel abroad, much less moving from place to place with all of one's stuff. :?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

the dude singing about the honey glaze for Boston Market sounds an awful lot like the Reverend Horton Heat, who, in one of those amazing twists of fate, has christmas album coming out!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:I'm sure so lack wouldn't mind if you and the Mrs. moved in for a while. ;-)

All the makings of a sit-com...
The Odd Couple. Or Terry and June.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

FREE TO A GOOD HOME: Exceedingly intelligent and cute 4-year-old boy. All clothing, toys, furniture, accoutrements included. Will deliver.

WARNING!!!!! He has a very loud stage-whisper, with which he is apt to comment upon the female attributes of the grandmotherly types who distribute cereal samples at the supermarket. You might need to consider never, ever taking him out in public.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on