Random Thoughts

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
lawngnome

Post by lawngnome »

Oh, the things that can happen when you're gone for a good 3 days. Oh well, just means I've got some catching up to do. Mr A., I think you slightly misenterpreted me. I wasn't saying that the prisoner abuse incidents were justified, or that they reflected upon the entire Am. military. Just that they actually happened, they were actual events that needed to be recorded and revealed to the public. I don't think that the "liberal media" (I'm a liberal, Diane Sawyer is not) is out to get America, I think they're out to get money. And all the crap they put out ruffles feathers, raises ratings, and rakes in cash.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Excellent point that I'll admit to lose in the emotion of the arguments. Follow the money.

That being said, there is a strong case being made that the NY Times and the LA Times, both severly slanted to the left, are undegoing hard times. The NY Times laid off 200 workers last week, and their circulation has dropped approximately 100,000 in the last year. Similar statistics for the LA Times. The argument on the right is that "this is proof" that the public is rejecting biased journalism wherein the news is slanted by ideology.

However...

In a segment last evening on Fox News, they reported that the lay-offs and the reduced circulation is somewhat endemic to the print news media in general, across the board...not limited just a liberally-biased publications like those referenced above. The explosion of web-based sources of information, including blogs, has severly cut into advertising support for print news media. Heck, there are major sponsors who have entire task-forces perusing, er, scanning the blogs for the ones that have the most impact and the largest audience. They are parsing their advertising budgets to move some of the money there. This will have a substantial effect on all newspaper publications, in the long run.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

spooky girlfriend wrote: Declanation, you are the weakest link. Goodbye.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Maybe the trouble was the title "Random Thoughts" was too open an invitation. Maybe the next thread should be "Well Ordered, Carefully Crafted Thoughts."

Of course, that's just a random thought.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Here's a random thought: loading CDs onto iTunes is a major pain in the ass. I've been here for three hours, and I'm barely into the Bs!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

miss buenos aires wrote:Here's a random thought: loading CDs onto iTunes is a major pain in the ass. I've been here for three hours, and I'm barely into the Bs!
Wait until you get your new Mac - then you'll be cooking with gas, assuming you have a superdrive. I put a CD in my machine (an iMMac G5) to import last week - a disc by Fela Kuti - and came back three minutes later to find that it had already been added to my library.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

miss buenos aires wrote:Here's a random thought: loading CDs onto iTunes is a major pain in the ass. I've been here for three hours, and I'm barely into the Bs!
Yep...I'm only just passing the second half of my collection and I've been at it months!

Nb. I'm too disorganised to have them in alphabetical order.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

But once you've finished, it's so nice to be able to access the music at will. A word of advice - be sure to make a back-up copy of your library somewhere. I got aan external fire wire drive, which also came in handy when I got my new iMac G5 - just used carbon copy cloner to copy everything to the external hard drive and hooked it back up to the new machine once I was ready.
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LittleFoole

Post by LittleFoole »

very random thought........aliens are stealing our cheese...........
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Moths: what are they for?
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

To buzz around light bulbs, of course.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

And for Renfield to eat.
What this world needs is more silly men.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

King Hoarse wrote:And for Renfield to eat.
I thought that was spiders! Though hey, I thought SUBSTANCE was a New Order greatest hits collection... 8)
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
Wait until you get your new Mac - then you'll be cooking with gas, assuming you have a superdrive. I put a CD in my machine (an iMMac G5) to import last week - a disc by Fela Kuti - and came back three minutes later to find that it had already been added to my library.
This is my new Mac! But to be fair, I have a lot of As. They were importing at about seven minutes per disc.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

you know you are old when 1) you are strolling around a Dollar Tree marvelling that you can get 2 canisters of Comet for a buck while having new tires put on your VAN next door and 2) you find yourself singing along with a piped in "Precious and Few" while you do it.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

miss buenos aires wrote:
Who Shot Sam? wrote:
This is my new Mac! But to be fair, I have a lot of As. They were importing at about seven minutes per disc.
That's not too bad then. At that rate, you'll be through your collection in a month or two!
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

I remember when making a phone call at a public phone booth cost a dime.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
lawngnome

Post by lawngnome »

Print media across the board is dying, a majority of adults can barely read beyond what the Dept of Ed. classifies as an 8th grade level.

I'm officially done with everything related to high school and cant wait to go to college next fall.

The person who invented iced-cappacino should be cannonized.

I just got a Dime account after a month of trying... That makes up for the 3 hour flight delay and lost luggage. kinda.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Mr. Average wrote:
Acceptable Comments on the Forum:

1. Heartfelt wishes that the pope ("the F*cker") will burn in hell, and;
2. Performing Fellatio on a dog
3. Eating Banana's whilst looking lasiviously at strange men, and;
4. Universal slams on the board intelligence by a periodic, radical poster (Rope).
5. Naming the elected President of the United States a boob, moron, asshole, idiot, and implying that it would be better for us all should someone put a bullet through his head..
6. Suggesting the broad-spectrum psychiatric intervention called the "Tranny blow-job", and;
7. Displaying a picture of a nearly topless performer recently diagnosed with breast cancer, and actually having the commentary veer to lust.
8. Destroying, for humour and sport, any oppossing views to the left of the left views that are so often penned here.
9. Making an inflammatory anti- American post, then failing to defend it, and reverting to name-calling and public derrogation instead, and;
10. Writing that Christians, collectively, represent the weakest element of society, and swayed the outcome of the last election based on ignorance, naivete, and sheer stupidity...in spite of the fact that the opposing candidate was a proven imbecile who had lied three times to achieve early release from Vietnam ( a HERO!). The fact that he received three injuries, not a single one required more than a few minutes in a field infirmary to treat, and leveraged them for a purple heart and early release.
All of these are less disturbing than Ice Nine's admiration for REO Speedwagon.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Ouch!
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
corruptio optimi pessima
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

If a picture paints a thousand words, how many monkeys would it take to type the Mona Lisa ?

There is a light that never goes out - is it in the fridge ?

With an increasing number of Wind Farms we'll soon run out of wind but, will the answer still blow ?

In Windows, why do you have to click Start in order to Stop ?
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
bobster

Post by bobster »

And, I ask again, why, oh why, are there no cocktails made with Root Beer?
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
lawngnome

Post by lawngnome »

I just learned our little town of just over 9,000 people sees more drug traffic than anywhere else in the Midwest. Seems we have one of the few small, private airports that has no customs and is within four hours of the Canadian border.. hmm... I wonder if any famous people have done drugs trafficked through Owosso...
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

King Hoarse wrote:And for Renfield to eat.
I was NOT talking about our newest Swedish member here.
What this world needs is more silly men.