Random Thoughts

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Some bastard stole our "VOTE YES" on the school budget sign off our front lawn. I called the police. Am I overreacting?
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

In a perhaps related event, my husband reports that someone has stolen his grease gun. The bastard walked past the Harley, climbed over the Cub Cadet and stole a brand new $3 grease gun.

But to answer your question Sam: no.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

What's a grease gun? Is there a waiting period to buy one?
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Goody2Shoes wrote:What's a grease gun? Is there a waiting period to buy one?

I only know because it is one of the things I needed to help my little guy locate in his Tonka "Look & Find" book.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

It's to pump grease into machinery, via a special nozzle so you don't get it all over your fingers. Once I wished I had one when my mortar mixer started making weird grinding noises and residents were complaining about the noise at 7am...
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I love your military.

Pentagon Confirms It Sought To Build A 'Gay Bomb'
Hank Plante
Reporting

(CBS 5) BERKELEY A Berkeley watchdog organization that tracks military spending said it uncovered a strange U.S. military proposal to create a hormone bomb that could purportedly turn enemy soldiers into homosexuals and make them more interested in sex than fighting.

Pentagon officials on Friday confirmed to CBS 5 that military leaders had considered, and then subsquently rejected, building the so-called "Gay Bomb."

Edward Hammond, of Berkeley's Sunshine Project, had used the Freedom of Information Act to obtain a copy of the proposal from the Air Force's Wright Laboratory in Dayton, Ohio.

As part of a military effort to develop non-lethal weapons, the proposal suggested, "One distasteful but completely non-lethal example would be strong aphrodisiacs, especially if the chemical also caused homosexual behavior."

The documents show the Air Force lab asked for $7.5 million to develop such a chemical weapon.

"The Ohio Air Force lab proposed that a bomb be developed that contained a chemical that would cause enemy soliders to become gay, and to have their units break down because all their soldiers became irresistably attractive to one another," Hammond said after reviwing the documents.

"The notion was that a chemical that would probably be pleasant in the human body in low quantities could be identified, and by virtue of either breathing or having their skin exposed to this chemical, the notion was that soliders would become gay," explained Hammond.

The Pentagon told CBS 5 that the proposal was made by the Air Force in 1994.

"The Department of Defense is committed to identifying, researching and developing non-lethal weapons that will support our men and women in uniform," said a DOD spokesperson, who indicated that the "gay bomb" idea was quickly dismissed.

However, Hammond said the government records he obtained suggest the military gave the plan much stronger consideration than it has acknowledged.

"The truth of the matter is it would have never come to my attention if it was dismissed at the time it was proposed," he said. "In fact, the Pentagon has used it repeatedly and subsequently in an effort to promote non-lethal weapons, and in fact they submitted it to the highest scientific review body in the country for them to consider."

Military officials insisted Friday to CBS 5 that they are not currently working on any such idea and that the past plan was abandoned.

Gay community leaders in California said Friday that they found the notion of a "gay bomb" both offensive and almost laughable at the same time.

"Throughout history we have had so many brave men and women who are gay and lesbian serving the military with distinction," said Geoff Kors of Equality California. "So, it's just offensive that they think by turning people gay that the other military would be incapable of doing their job. And its absurd because there's so much medical data that shows that sexual orientation is immutable and cannot be changed."

(© MMVII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

...That's got to be a joke....

The idiocy is simply astounding.
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

This was of course a Plan B, after the Mellow Marijuana bomb was proven to be too ... pacifist?
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

mood swung wrote:In a perhaps related event, my husband reports that someone has stolen his grease gun. The bastard walked past the Harley, climbed over the Cub Cadet and stole a brand new $3 grease gun.
Do you think they wanted it for an engine, or simply for some pervy thrills?

What I want to know is what exactly a 'school budget sign' on your front lawn could possibly be. An ocean separates us.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:What I want to know is what exactly a 'school budget sign' on your front lawn could possibly be. An ocean separates us.
In New York, local communities have to vote to approve the school budget each year. Where we live has traditionally been a very quiet community with decent (not great) schools, but recently there has been a huge influx of new residents to the area, as the New York City suburbs expand further and further north and people look for affordable housing, low crime and all around nice places to live.

What has happened as a result in our town is that older members of the community and many of the generally conservative "townies" have been protesting the tax increases that have resulted from higher school budgets. We will have two kids in the school system beginning in the fall, so we are very concerned about raising the quality of the schools, teachers and facilities. Better schools also help maintain property values.

The last budget vote lost out by around 100 votes, largely as a result of voter apathy and no-shows at the polls. So we feel pretty strongly about it. I don't want to have to pay to send our kids to private school because a bunch of locals decided that education wasn't important to them.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Do you think they wanted it for an engine, or simply for some pervy thrills?
I think my husband misplaced it, because what kind of thief walks past the lawn mower and the motor cycle to steal a grease gun?

A pervy, thrill-seeking one? Better leave Pawli out to guard the premises. But that might be part of his pervy plan...

This is a bigger problem than I realized.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I'll bring it back when I've finished with it okay. You wouldn't think someone would make so much fuss about a frigging grease gun.

I'm interested in what the cops said when you told them someone had stolen your sign Sam.

I wish someone would steal my lawn mower.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:I'm interested in what the cops said when you told them someone had stolen your sign Sam.
The officer who came by sort of had a bemused look on his face. I got the feeling he thought it wasn't worth reporting. He took a few notes then left.

When my daughter got back from school today, she told me that one of her classmates had had a sign stolen off her lawn as well. Something shady going on.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

It'll all end in tears, riots and mass destruction - move now before it's too late.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:It'll all end in tears, riots and mass destruction - move now before it's too late.
:lol: :lol:
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

When does Samuel L. Jackson find the time to sleep? How many movies can he be in at any given moment? It seems he's continuously in something now playing at a theater near you.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

He's cloned of course. There are 4 of him in total. He wanted another clone but thought there may be problems with a Samuel L Jackson 5.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

My son dropped an f-bomb at pre-school today. :shock:

Really must watch my language.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:My son dropped an f-bomb at pre-school today. :shock:

Really must watch my language.
Freaky as it may seem now, you will look back on this day as a milestone :)
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

How is it that some people have the most gorgeous, delightful laughs while others sound like farm animals?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

A mate of mine once got called to school because his 6 year son had told his teacher that she had great tits. The boys father felt that he had to support his son and so agreed that she did have great tits.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Kids really do drop you in it! When my daughter was 5 she wrote in her 'what we did at the weekend' essay:-

"On saturday my daddy put the washing line up in the garden. My mummy was pleased. Then they went upstairs for a lie down" :lol:

Ive still got the book!! :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

Priceless! :D
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Yesterday morning I was standing outside my hotel in Istanbul waiting for the car to pick me up to take me to the office when Al and Tipper Gore walked right by me and got into their car. I hadn't realized that they were even in Turkey, never mind staying at the same hotel, so it was kind of surreal.

Sam, when I was in high school, me and my friends would drive around drinking beer, smoking pot and rearranging the signs on people's lawns - a lot of political signs, but we also moved for sale signs. Nothing personal intended.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

BlueChair wrote:How is it that some people have the most gorgeous, delightful laughs while others sound like farm animals?
What type of farm animal?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?