your help is needed

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.

What's the best way to commemorate my big 4-0?

a tattoo! like a little elvis or something discreet
20%
a belly button ring, for my newly flattened belly
20%
a tombstone (practical yet different)
7%
???
53%

Total votes: 15

mood swung

your help is needed

Post by mood swung »

So my big 4-0 is fast approaching and to be honest, it's going to hurt. I'm thinking of ways to make it less miserable, or at least memorable. So, what's your pick? Tattoo? Navel piercing? or something else? When I turned 18, I had one of my ears pierced again and it really freaks people out--I guess they expect symmetry. It gave me something to do with all the single earrings I had. That's what I liked about it--practical and different. So, put your thinking caps on. Help an (almost) old woman out.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Had mine back in March and I considered a tattoo etc., but didn't go through with it. It won't make you any younger, just make you look like mutton dressed as lamb! The power of positive thinking is the best way to stay feeling young.

My other half kindly dumped our daughter with a friend for the night booked a hotel room with four poster bed and jacuzzi, and away we went! I can assure you that this is the best way to celebrate.

The other good thing was that I got bigger presents than usual, and everyone remembered.
signed with love and vicious kisses
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I'm slowly creeping towards this one myself, MS. I'll be 39 this August so I'm not far behind you.

And since I'm 9 months older than my husband, I'll suffer this before him. He knows not to ignore my birthday for fear his will be ignored in return. :lol:

I've spent a great portion of my life trying to figure out what the hell's going on, and now that I'm finally getting it, I realize I'm approaching 40 and struggling to keep the important parts firm and perky. :? I do like where I am now because I would never want to be young again if it meant being as ignorant as I was then.

Enjoy where you are and do whatever you feel like doing. If it's a tatoo or skydiving - fine. But no one particular thing you do on one special day is going to make you feel young - it's the things you do every day on a regular basis that will. Just be who you are and be happy.

And SLL's idea is nice. Some time alone with the other half could be fun, right?
:)
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

Happy birthday! It's those milestone years that throw you into a depression. I'm turning 30 in a frightfully short while. I think there are two choices: Look devastatingly gorgeous and have everyone bow down to the birthday goddess or curl up in a fetal position and weep heartily. You, because of your location, have the option of hanging by your toes.

You could take So Lacklustre's suggestion unless you are an old maid like me. :cry:

Tattoo or belly ring? What happened to cake and ice cream?

I love your new avatar!
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

lapinjolis: Nothing wrong with not being married. I spent most of my twenties married, only to find myself divorced at 31. Fortunately I found real love the second time. I always feel like I didn't spend enough time single. We always want what we don't have, huh?

Remember the Stones, "Can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you just might find you get what you need." :)

I still like cake and ice cream. :)

So, MS, when's the big day???
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Belly button rings are sooooo 1997, tattoos are soooo 1973. I quite like the tombstone option myself. Either have a big, big party or go away for a quiet, expensive weekend.

Remember, moody, 50 is the new 40, 40 is the new 30 and 30 is the new 20. Or so my sister says.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

I think your big day is September 9, no? I think we had a discussion about this on the other board, as my own 40th is on 9/7.

Anyway, not to be a buzzkill or anything, but I have to come out strongly against tattoos. First there is the risk of contracting hepatitis. I believe that getting a tattoo is the second most common cause of hepatitis, after intravenous drug abuse.

Second, and most important to someone approaching 40, I can tell you that tattoos do not, let me repeat, DO NOT age well. Tattoos that look great when you are young look mighty different at age 60 or 70. And I have seen more than my share of aged tattoos, on every body part you can (and can't) imagine. It's not a pretty picture. Don't ask me how I know this; just take my word for it.

If you decide on a tattoo, however, I think that tattoos on hips age better than those on other parts. Ankles seem to be okay, as well, but definitely avoid boob tattoos. In 20 years, your tattoo will look nothing like it looks now, believe me.

Howsabout ditching your kids and taking a vacation?
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

I'm in the same boat as moody here...

I'll be turning 23 next month and I'm a little depressed.

Not only is my birthday on a Monday...(a MONDAY!),

I'll also be at work all night.

Poor out some drink and eat some food
for less than zero and swinging mood.

EDIT! I'LL BE SEEING ELVIS PERFORM TWICE BY MY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEAH BABY YEAH!
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I think SLL's night of passion is sweet and lovely. That's what I'd want to happen. I'll be heading there a month before you, Spooky!

I'd do something you've always wanted to do and never managed. Whether it's a place, a brilliant meal, a slightly dangerous sporting activity, or, hey, something in the boudoir, it's gotta be worth it. Something to remember.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Now, where were all you folks at MY 40th?!! Great ideas. I however, opted for the tattoo. Pedestrian perhaps, but not when it's on YOU! But I wouldn't get one unless you really want it, obviously. I thought about mine for years, as a matter of fact, and vowed to wait until it was old hat, figuring if I still wanted it then, THAT was the time to do it. And I did, so I did.

As for where, I'd say make it a celebration of your body as it is now. That's the fun thing about getting one at 40. You're already a bit worn in, it's no longer about perfection (well for me anyway, I haven't exactly got the body of Demi Moore or some of these other hot 40-yr-olds) it's about comfort with yourself and enjoyment.

So, my two cents on tattoos at 40!
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

PS-- The bit about hepatitis is true, statistically. However, that's because a LOT of tattoos are 'homemade.' You're a thousand times less likely to contract hepatitis from someone with a liscence to maintain than you are from getting your ears pierced down at the mall (they have to have papers too, usually, but they're much easier to get).
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

I did forget to say this about tatoos.

We were in Chattanooga, TN a few months ago and picked up a Sunday paper. There was an article about a man who had received a tatoo from an establishment, expecting to see the word LIFE on his upper arm. Cruel twist of fate - I swear this story is true - the tatoo artist turned out to be dyslexic and spelled it LIEF.

Beware of dyslexic tatoo artists. :o
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

I forgot that many tattoos are of the amateur variety, so I'm sure that my data are inaccurate.

I'm not anti-tattoo in principle, just wouldn't choose one for myself, because it's like...needles!...ouch
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

right, needles, AND, THEY'RE PUTTING IT ON YOUR SKIN! YUCK!!
Folks, is there a disorder where you don't like anyone writing on your skin?
Even when I was in grade school, only the CUTEST and HOTTEST of girls could write on me.

and it better be a sweet club if they're gonna stamp me...

No tattoos for me. Is it a phobia?

"He's very clean."
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

If it is in September you have ample time to plan something spectacular mine is right around the corner. I'm in the stage of denial at this point.

Spooky Girlfriend-Fear not! I'm not lamenting my state of single blessedness. It's just if So Lacklustre had posted the idea sooner I could have found someone to have a full day and ecstatic night of cheap, tawdry passion. . .okay no. For your avatar as close as I can-'III !!!! 1111'.
grliegrl21

Post by grliegrl21 »

My vote is for the belly button ring. Less painful and less scary than a tattoo (you can take it out if you hate it) and oh so cute on your newly flattened tummy. Take it from someone who has two tattoos and already at the age of 28 is over them, they are highly overrated...
Crescent Fresh.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

My aunt got a dragon tattooed on her left boob for her fortieth--I forget how old she is now, maybe 53 or something, but I think she's still into it. I refuse to get a tattoo, because the only cool one I've ever thought of (think of "Le Violon d'Ingres" by Man Ray), I saw it on this girl at Odessa Café in New York, and the thrill fizzled away. I also made the mistake of going to a bathhouse in Budapest while ruminating the idea, and let me tell you, nothing will put you off the idea of a tat faster than seeing lots of naked sixty-year-old Hungarian women at once. But the tat I'm most glad I didn't get was the one that I dreamt I got when I was drunk (i.e., I was drunk in the dream, I didn't have the dream whilst drunk): it looked like one of those coffee mugs that say "#1 Grandpa," but it said "#1 Terrorist," and had confetti and everything tattooed all around it.

Anyway, have you thought about scarification? It looks cooler than a tattoo anyway.
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Having just turned 40 just shy of a week ago and after personally pondering all of the above (the tatoo, the belly piercing, the expensive get-away....) I have to say that

thecakeandicecreamwas thebest!

Just joking.

I really think it's just a state of mind. Unto thine own self be true, yes?
And maybe even more importantly, or I should say, in addition to that, when you reach this incredibly sexy and enviable age you really know what the important things in life are.

Actually the cake and ice cream was the best because my kids all surprised me with a beautiful homemade dinner and such beautiful and thoughtful cards and gifts and a cake made from scratch. It was the best birthday I ever had. :)
I'm not angry anymore....
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

LTZ-- Yes, I'd say that's a phobia! But I love your HARD DAYS NIGHT ref!

Tattoos are no big deal either way (and they don't hurt much at all, obviously nothing compared to having a baby, for instance, or even dental work) -- they're cool if you really have something you want to add to yourself forever, not so cool if done in the heat of the moment/trend. (MBA-- that tattoo in your dream is hilarious!) Never ceases to amaze me that people will plan their wedding day--one DAY, recall-- for a year, then go into a tattoo joint to get something that will be on them for the rest of their LIFE, and and just pick something out of a book. Um, huh?

But for your 40th, as for any birthday, my advice is to think about how you want to be, and then do something that embodies that. Cause birthdays should be about the future, not the past, in my opinion.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

"this incredibly sexy and enviable age you really know what the important things in life are. "

Meant to say, SP: right on!! I love getting older, actually, for this very reason. It's nice to feel I know what the fuck I'm doing. Or at least more than I used to!
shabbydoll

Post by shabbydoll »

But wait til you hit the change. :roll: As far as celebrating, I'd pick pleasure before pain. Save the pain for some other time.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

lordy, what i wouldn't give to be 40 again.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

But OS, you look so youthful in your avatar! :)
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

I think I mentioned this in another thread...

Turning 40 was (at least, for me), nothing compared to when I hit 30. 40 was there & gone, while 30 drove me absolutely BATTY!! Of course, when I think back, I seem to remember that I was physically incapacitated on my 30th (hit by a car on Alki Beach in Seattle, broken tibula/filbula?? you know, the small bone behind your calf, road rash all over the right side of my body, whiplash, etc.)...no wonder I felt so damned old!! But really, 40 just didn't phase me for some reason.

I chose the ??? category, seems to me an intimate night out w/ your significant other would be just what's needed to get the juices flowing again (no pun intended, mind you)...

:twisted:
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

That's horrible Sulky. My friend (no, really) stepped out in front of a bus. He said he only saw it when it was about a metre in front of him and it was too late. He thought, "I'm dead". He got thrown about 10 metres but was ok.