your help is needed

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.

What's the best way to commemorate my big 4-0?

a tattoo! like a little elvis or something discreet
20%
a belly button ring, for my newly flattened belly
20%
a tombstone (practical yet different)
7%
???
53%

Total votes: 15

miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

I got hit by a car when I was 14. It was horribly traumatic; I broke my tibia and my fibula, had to get a metal rod put down the middle of my tibia (leaving me with a six-inch scar on my knee), stayed out of school for four months and was on crutches for six. I was picking glass out of my hair and my ears for days after the accident. Did we sue him? We're American! After paying the lawyer (whose name was Joe Fortunato, like, what are you, a Dickens character?) and the hospital bills that weren't covered by insurance, I ended up with a couple of grand, which went to my college education. The judge told me not to spend it on my prom dress, that condescending asshole. My prom dress cost 21 dollars. Speaking of condescending assholes, my doctor was one, too.

Is it so obvious that I'm working on the last French lit paper of my life, and that it's slow going? This is like, my tenth post of the day.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Gee, perhaps we should start a thread on accidents we've been in. Sounds like there could already be a few contributions.

I was in one about three years ago - on my anniversary. Beat me to a pulp, but I got my first broken bone - the radius. Went through the whole cast and physical therapy thing. When it grew back together, it settled back shorter, so they did surgery to shorten the ulna, the bone next to it, so they would match up again. Put a metal plate with six screws in to hold it in place. Had surgery again about six months later to take it out. I have a nice scar to show for it all. Damn thing still hurts on a cold morning, but I'm tough so I keep going.

The funny part of this story is that since the day of the accident was my anniversary I was thinking amorous thoughts. I stopped by the mall, bought a new outfit, changed into it while I was there, but left off undergarments so I would be ready to meet my hubby later. Then I got hit on the way to meet him. When the ambulance dropped me at the hospital the nurses began to help me into a hospital gown. I was trying to explain why I had no undies. They all had a good laugh at my expense. :)
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

I think I must be a late developer or something. I had a tattoo done when I was 39 and also had a second set of holes pierced in my ears. What with that and taking an internet lover I think that was enough rebelling for me for a lifetime - I am not the kind of person who makes waves....i'm probably very boring! :roll:

So I say go for the lot, - none of those listed are too way out ....but on a small scale - live a little and rebel, - you are a long long time dead! :wink:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

i can't resist. on one birthday my cat died, the day i became a teenager i broke my arm, i had surgery once the day after my birthday and i once wrecked a 1972 firebird the day before my birthday. on my 30th birthday i went to key west, got a hotel room and didn't come out.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

Sppoky,

no more posts from me today, I'm going to spend the rest of the day laughing at your story.

When's your next anniversary ? I'm going to have an "underwear free" day as a mark of respect.
Where's North from 'ere?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

That would be July 12.

Celebrate accordingly. :)

And I swear to God that story is true. I wouldn't make up a story like that - journalist or not. :)
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

oily slick wrote:on my 30th birthday i went to key west, got a hotel room and didn't come out.
Then why does your location say St. Louis? I think someone's pants are on fire.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

So, Spooky, I guess your mother's admonition to always wear clean underwear in case you get into an accident should have had less emphasis on the "clean" and more on the "underwear" part of the adage.

I always shave my legs in case I get into an accident.

I had a friend who was driving to her boyfriend's house wearing nothing but a raincoat, and she got pulled over for speeding. She had to blushingly explain to the cops why she refused to open her coat when she was asked to step out of the car. They laughed and laughed. I would have panicked and made up some story about alien abduction or hostile armadillos or something, which would have then lead to all other kinds of trouble, but that's just me.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

i didn't come out...you know gay...key west...get it? and my pants are always on fire :wink:
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
tokyo vogue

Post by tokyo vogue »

i just snorted my kool-aid up my nose :D
if we can rock together, why can't we walk together?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Now there's a way to spend a birthday! :lol:

Well, this thread has taken a few crooked turns. I suppose I should re-route this back to MS to ask what has been decided for birthday festivities.

MS, where are you? What have you decided? Any new suggestions?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I haven't quite made up my mind re: the big 4-0. It's an occasion to me--I mean it's no ordinary birthday, so I want to mark it (permanently) somehow. All suggestions have been taken under advisement with the exception of scarification. I have 4 children, and the scars to go with them. Think about it.

Please feel free to make more suggestions. At this point, staring into the abyss, I am too mesmerized by the great sewer of time that has sucked half my life away to save myself with a great idea.
Do I sound depressed?
Goody, are we still on for the Sept. 8 cyber-wake? 8)
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

We are so on for a cyber-wake on the 8th, because it's a Monday and I never work on Mondays, but you'd better not show up talking about sewers and abysses (is that correct? Ms. BA? Mr. Westinghouse?)! I don't want to get weepy about it. It's bad enough as it is.

Actually, I may just be in denial, but approaching my 40th birthday doesn't seem to be bothering me that much. I also have not thought one bit about how I want to mark the day, other than having a bottle of champagne and a nice shag with the man of the house. Perhaps I'm lazy AND in denial. Hmmm....

Anyway, I'm new to this cyber thing, so just how does one conduct a cyber-occasion?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

You could refer back to the old board when MS had us all together for a cyber Cinco de Mayo party. Remember, MS? Or do you . . . . 8)
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Goody2Shoes wrote:I also have not thought one bit about how I want to mark the day, other than having a bottle of champagne and a nice shag with the man of the house.
Isn't it usually a nice bottle of champagne and a shag* with the man of the house? Surely it's not the other way round? Oh, riiiight....maybe that's just my experience... :roll:

*Not the dance craze, I hope?
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

I only buy nice champagne, and we do very little dancing 'round here. :wink: