Laura Cantrell

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Jack of All Parades

Re: Laura Cantrell

Post by Jack of All Parades »

That is a lovely photo-must have been an equally lovely show. Her new record, No Way There From Here, has been spending some time on the turntable in my home this past month. It has been nice to have new material from her pen. It has been a long nine years in coming. I have been struck by the deeper introspection of the new songs and her supple voice, as usual, is most welcome. The pensive voyeurism of "Driving Down Your Street" is disturbing. "Letters She Sent" is a neat turn on missives sent over the years by various women. There is also the simple, plaintive love song- the title track "No Way There From Here". But the best song and one of her best overall might be "Wash Day Blues"-with its pitch perfect recounting of what it costs a particular woman to keep herself, a family, a home, a job, and a relationship together everyday. A most powerful and empowering composition. I really like this one and I presume you do as well.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Laura said she wanted to see the shop before leaving Dublin & we were delighted when she arrived in today.

Yes, 'Jack , Wash Day Blues is a powerful song. The NYT reviewer agrees

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/09/arts/ ... .html?_r=1

NO WAY THERE FROM HERE

Laura Cantrell is an emphatic single-syllable rhymer, a classic-minded country singer who never overburdens a song: Her last album was a collection of Kitty Wells covers, and that’s about as contemporary as her tastes run. Ms. Cantrell had a hand in writing all the songs but one on “No Way There From Here” (Thrift Shop), her prim and wistful sixth full-length album. As ever, she sings in a sweet, clear, purposeful voice, verging on the declarative, even though the arrangements here are slightly tenser and more scraped than the ones on her stellar first two albums, “Not the Tremblin’ Kind” and “When the Roses Bloom Again” (Diesel Only). Her best songs depict small moments of insular strain, told through seemingly innocuous details. “I’ve been trying not to feel so mean/But I found myself crying to the washing machine/You know what I mean,” she sings like a schoolteacher on “Washday Blues,” before demurring, “I’m just trying to get my clothes clean.”

Jon Pardi

I'd noticed she wasn't doing it live and meant to ask her about it but forgot in all the excitement. I've passed your comment on in e-mail & urged her to make the most of the song.
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

What a great picture of you guys.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Yes, agreed. I forgot to mention the photo opp. You two are a dentist's best friends and probably the envy of too many kids in your neighborhood. That is one sugary display. :wink:
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'