New Gig Thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

An annual festival here in Pittsburgh is The Three Rivers Arts Festival. They always bring in great artists to perform. Today was the opening day and appearing on stage tonight was Nanci Griffith and The Blue Moon Orchestra. It was nice to see whole families sitting on their blankets and little kids running throught the crowds enjoying some good music. It was a great show and her last song was 'If I Had A Hammer' which is a great song.

We are looking forward to see Rickie Lee Jones, Ollabelle, Cowboy Junkies, and Madeleine Peyroux.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Dear God........ I just returned from Ryan Adams at the House of Blues. I'm sure fans of his know what a prickly (i.e. Prick) performer he can be, but tonight goes beyond words.

He came out with his fine band, The Cardinals, and played a good hour of loud electric stuff. Then the band went off stage and he played a song at the piano and one or two on solo acoustic. It was the usual House of Blues type gig- lots of people talking in the background during the quiet stuff, but everything seemed to be going fine. Adams announced there would be a ten minute break and then they would be back.

Band came back, they played three or four really great tunes (all loud and electric) and then he abruptly stopped and went on a diatribe about how shitty HOB shows were and how he just wanted to communicate with the people about his 'dark day' and how he would fucking never do a House of Blues show again (after his current tour). He also exhorted those who had come to get drunk or get laid to get the fuck out, because he wanted to really communicate, man. Then he stormed off. His band tried to vamp for about 30 seconds and then they left too.

After ten or more minutes, they came back on, but the drummer and the bassist looked PISSED. He announced they were going to play a Grateful Dead song that he would 'Soon be performing with the Phil Lesh Band' and that he was sure 'that band never fucking fights'. Well the drummer pounded the skins and gave him dirty, dirty looks for the next 15 minutes which basically comprised two or three Dead songs fused together in a meaningless mess. Then Adams walked off stage and the drummer hurled his sticks in the air and stormed off after (hopefully to pound his ass). The house lights came up and people just looked stunned.

I expected him to be a pretentious dick. And he was. Tenfold. He was also one of the best live singers I have ever heard, transitioning between his normal voice and a falsetto like an angel. Still, I will never pay $25 to see him again and be treated like dirt and shit. He's good, but he's not good enough to be a dick to his audience and an asshole to his band. Good night, Ryan.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I would have been so tempted to yell out "Summer of 69" -
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

When did he drop the B?
signed with love and vicious kisses
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Boy With A Problem wrote:I would have been so tempted to yell out "Summer of 69" -
You heard the story about what happened when someone did that, right? I'm assuming you did.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

http://ryanadams.org/mb.asp?id=833616

Follow this links to Ryan's main board to see the true fans stick by their man no matter what.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

I have seen the female Elvis and she is Rickie Lee Jones! (The Costello/Nieve Costello, not the Imposter/Attraction Costello.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
senior_service

Post by senior_service »

My son and I saw Wilco (with The Roots opening) at the Greek Theatre Tuesday night. The Roots were fantastic and really won over the Wilco crowd by the end of their set. Wilco were terrific. Jeff Tweedy was amusing in a self derpicating way and the band sounded great. They played 23 songs (according to my son's setlist) and all the 'hits', including a great rendition of Heavy Metal Drummer towards the end of a lengthy encore set. Tweedy endeared himself to many of the parents in the audience when he climbed down into the audience in the pit to pick up his sleeping five year old son and hold him for a couple of minutes as the band played on. BTW, Wilco's guitarist (Nels ?) was amazing; the whole band was in fine form.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

ice nine wrote:I have seen the female Elvis and she is Rickie Lee Jones! (The Costello/Nieve Costello, not the Imposter/Attraction Costello.
If you would, I'd like to hear more about this.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

I believe Rickie is similar to Elvis in her intensity level. Her plane was late so everyone was aggrevated about the forty minute delay, but as soon as Rickie took the stage all was forgiven and the atmosphere of the venue changed. She started out alone on the grand piano for a few songs, then her bass player came on playing a standing electric bass for a few songs, and finally her guitar player joined them. Half-way into the show Rickie took up the acoustic guitar. No drums at all.

Her fans are die-hard, like Elvis', with many people shouting 'we love you's'. As soon as she started to play the audience hung on every word she sang and full attention was on her. The audience demographic of both her show and Costello/Nieve were similar; people of all ages.
- M. Twain
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

What a treat Ice Nine. I was heartbroken at having missed her several months ago, but took small solace in the fact that she was rather ill and had to cancel the gig after only a few numbers.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Thanks, ice nine, for that account. We're gonna try and catch her 'round here next month. I love that she can get off a late plane, face a restless audience, and grab the spotlight like that.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Xavier Rudd was at a little outdoor concert in Knoxville last night - it's amazing he can make all that sound by himself. Mic Harrison (ex V-Roy) opened. It was a nice summer evening, full of old hippies dancing well and big-assed girls dancing badly. Incredible people watching. Gotta go back.

http://www.xavierrudd.com/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=31
Like me, the "g" is silent.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Lucinda Williams 8/14 at the Tennessee Theatre!!

woooo hoooo!!!
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Willie and Bob
Tuesday
Greer Stadium

By the way, Bryan and Ryan Adams share a birthday. Weird, huh?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I noticed that in the paper, cosmos, and I wondered if you'd be there! enjoy - they were fun at Smokies Stadium last summer.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

I know - I wanted to catch one of their Tennessee shows last year.

I'm half excited and half nervous about hearing Bob's new band. It'll be my first Willie show too!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Eels on Thursday at Town Hall. :)
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Eels on Thursday at Town Hall. :)
Awesome. Hope he plays all your faves. I wake up with a diff tune from those records every morning. But I think my fave has got to be Checkout Blues.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

selfmademug wrote:Awesome. Hope he plays all your faves. I wake up with a diff tune from those records every morning. But I think my fave has got to be Checkout Blues.
I think "In The Yard, Behind The Church" is my favorite tune from Blinking Lights. There's something so grand and epic about it. I've been wearing this album out.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

"In The Yard, Behind The Church" was my early favourite from BL, but it was the one track that didn't really do it for me live. My favourites from BL are now 'old shit/new shit' (which wasn't played live) and 'things the grandchildren should know'. 'hey man (blah)' was excellent at the show we went to.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:"In The Yard, Behind The Church" was my early favourite from BL, but it was the one track that didn't really do it for me live.
In that string quartet context, it must sound quite different. It seems to me that it's a song that would needs a bigger sound (in places at least) than a string quartet could provide.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

By the way, for all the Eels fans out there, E's recent appearance on ex-Sex Pistol Steve Jones' LA radio show is well worth a listen:

http://www.eelstheband.com/jonesy.html
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

shatterproof wrote:

(
as well as "The Whiskey Makes You Sweeter" from Not the Tremblin' Kind
Is that the Amy Allison song (Mose's daughter)? I love that song.

I'm looking forward to checking Laura Cantrell out in a couple of weeks in support of Lucinda Williams (the drunken old biddy)
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Just got back from a great Eels (with strings) show at Town Hall in New York. Plenty of stuff from the new double album, a big hunk of Daisies Of The Galaxy, some tunes from Souljacker and a few from Beautiful Freak as well. Nothing at all from Electro-Shock Blues.

Show closed with a great, raucous, crashing version of "Dog-Faced Boy" (3rd encore). Other highlights for me: "Spunky", "Trouble With Dreams", "Railroad Man", "I'm Going To Stop Pretending That I Didn't Break Your Heart", "It's a Motherfucker". Great cover versions of Bob Dylan's "Girl From The North Country" and Johnny Rivers' "The Poor Side Of Town".

E was in terrific form - lots of banter with the audience, smoking cigars and toting around a cane. Switched between acoustic guitar, piano, organ. One guy played pedal steel and a saw and banged on the edge of a big tin drum. The violinist was easy on the eyes. :)

Now off to bed.