New Gig Thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
mood swung

Re: New Gig Thread

Post by mood swung »

That's awesome. Top shelf parenting.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Matthew Sweet put on a rockin' show in an intimate club here in Pittsburgh.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Last night at the Towne Cryer a belated birthday present from Ms. Lisa Cohn Sjoholm- an evening in the company of Chris Hillman and Herb Pederson and a third generation member of American Folk/Country music royalty, Carlene Carter. To say that I was entertained would be to slight the performances. Ms. Carter was the opening act and she provided a quick retrospective of her own recording career from back in the 70s and 80s when she was married to Nick Lowe. But it was when she sat behind the piano or gently strummed an autoharp that contained wood from the log cabin that her great Uncle AP Carter grew up in that her set came alive as she lovingly provided her own takes on her family's rich musical history with songs like "Will the Circle be Unbroken" and "Wildwood Flower" Her mother was June Carter Cash and her grandmother was Maybelle Carter. Her aunts were Anita and Helen Carter. She cannot help but proudly be a "Carter" girl.

Mr Hillman and Mr Pederson were everything I could hope. Their close harmonies were exquisite and they were in fine voice. The acoustic tour they provided through their catalog was well chosen and for me was highlighted by a ravishing reworking of "Eight Miles High" which featured deft mandolin play by Mr. Hillman and the traditional "Rank Strangers" which gave urgency to their lifelong love of bluegrass music. I even got to hear "Sin City" which rivaled the original version in its topicality and sweet harmony singing. Lisa only wanted the pedal steel added to complete its beauty. They paid homage to Pete Seeger with "Turn, Turn, Turn" and the "Bells of Ryhmney". Pehaps my favorite of the evening was an acoustic version of Hillman's "Have You Seen Her Face" from the Byrd's third record. 51 years of friendship glowed on the stage last evening. 51 years of some damn fine music from the two. In truth, in 1996, they put out a record "Bakersfield Bound" that I continue to play every week- the music is that fresh and invigorating; it never goes stale for my ears. What a wonderful night. Here is a sample of what they sound like still:

http://youtu.be/KwtkHVxsbhM

http://youtu.be/0PTCHT87yjY

and from that wonderful "Bakersfield Bound" record "Playboy"

http://youtu.be/5WTbtdk00ls
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Last night I saw history upon stage. Willie Nelson put on a great show. I'm not a huge fan, but he did many recognizable hits. No pyro, no electric instruments, no pageantry, just a man with a guitar, his sister on grand piano, a man on upright base, and a man with only a snare drum. The last half hour of the show was stupendous starting with Hank Williams' "Jambalaya'. He continued with gospel hits "I'll Fly Away" and "Will The Circle Be Unbroken". Willie is now off my bucket list.

http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/music-re ... 1409170150
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Saw the very funky Maceo Parker put on a great show.

http://youtu.be/3_0alsFnxwI
- M. Twain
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Went to see John Cooper Clarke with Goon Squad tonight.

JCC was ably supported by a young poet called Luke Wright.

JCC himself is razor sharp, great poems and banter and has a surprisingly good singing voice as well!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Went to see John Cooper Clarke with Goon Squad tonight.

JCC was ably supported by a young poet called Luke Wright.

JCC himself is razor sharp, great poems and banter and has a surprisingly good singing voice as well!
Yep, it was a great evenings entertainment !
Luke was fresh, lively and interesting, and JCC was brilliant.......funny, quick, clever, witty, read poems, told jokes ( ! ), sung ( ! ), and was a master in captivating the audience. All in all a top night !
If he's playing local to you try to get down and see him ! He's a true legend !
verbal gymnastics

Goon Squad wrote:...JCC was brilliant.......funny, quick, clever, witty, read poems, told jokes ( ! ), sung ( ! ), and was a master in captivating the audience....He's a true legend !
Not too dissimilar from myself then :wink: :lol:
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
Goon Squad wrote:...JCC was brilliant.......funny, quick, clever, witty, read poems, told jokes ( ! ), sung ( ! ), and was a master in captivating the audience....He's a true legend !
Not too dissimilar from myself then :wink: :lol:

:roll:

:lol:
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Off to see Paul McCartney Saturday night at the O2 on a freebie as a friends carer. Its his 50th London show since the break up of the Beatles. I wonder if Elvis might make a special guest appearance. Their is a promise of a few surprises
verbal gymnastics

I thought about seeing him until I saw the prices :shock:

Have fun!
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

verbal gymnastics wrote:I thought about seeing him until I saw the prices :shock:

Have fun!
Not to mention his awful Buckingham Palace/Olympic gigs still fresh in the memory ! :lol:
sheeptotheslaughter

I am going with a mate who had his leg amputated below the knee a few months back. I am going as his carer so I go free. Every cloud as they say.

Macca was great in Hyde Park I thought when Elvis and the Sugarcanes supported. I cant believe that was 5 years ago next month.
sheeptotheslaughter

Goon Squad wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:I thought about seeing him until I saw the prices :shock:

Have fun!
I was checking on his website someone paid £280 for two tickets and was trying to sell them. Good luck with that.

Especially as the Sunday isn't sold out
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

While the Rolling Stones played a show across the river, I was enjoying another rock and roll icon leading his jazz combo. Ginger Baker and his combo put on an excellent show. Ginger started the show by saying he just got out of intensive care a few weeks ago and he was not a hundred percent.
- M. Twain
verbal gymnastics

I went to see Dan Penn & Spooner Oldham with John Foyle at the Union Chapel last night.

Firstly, it's a magnificent venue and the evening was helped by finding two spaces in the front row :D

The gig was superb - 1hr 45 mins of them both sitting down and beautifully playing songs either one or both of them had written such as Dark End of the Street, I'm your puppet, It tears me up.

The songs were interspersed with stories about Percy Sledge, Otis Redding and a whole lot of others.

If you get a chance please go - you won't be disappointed.
Jack of All Parades

I enjoyed a night out at the Towne Crier here in Beacon last evening with Ms. Lisa in the company of about 250 people and the engaging music offered by one, Mr. Glen Tilbrook, lead vocalist and guitarist of Squeeze, a band that has consistently been a favorite for Lisa and I. Mr. Tilbrook was joyful, ebullient , and in fine voice as he rummaged through the back catalog of the band or offered up morsels from his recent solo efforts. He even brought out an old chestnut from his great grandfather, a vaudevillian from way back in England. He has a showman's knack of engaging the crowd and he seemingly enjoys being in front of one[something that was evident from the merchandise table at the end of the show where he almost immediately began to participate following his two and one half hour show with marked and genuine enthusiasm. His guitar playing[all acoustic] was agile and distinguished throughout the show. My favorite of the night was Labeled with Love for which he provided subtle chord flourishes throughout. It was a family night as his 12 year old son, Liam, joined him on stage at several points to accompany him proficiently on guitar, and once leaving him alone on stage to perform several of his own compositions which were pleasant exercises in adolescent longing. His wife assisted him on the stage from time to time and another son helped man the merchandise table at the end of the evening. A most pleasant night indeed. Just what I needed on a summer night- the news I came away with is that a new Squeeze record will be out late in the fall and that Mr. Tilbrook will be back here at that time with Mr. Difford. I look forward to that.

https://youtu.be/APF6yEP-OB0

https://youtu.be/BljXYEpp7lM
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Jack of All Parades

Ice Nine- this might be something you would enjoy in your own backyard-straight out of NOLA- my niece's Band

https://www.facebook.com/events/8220149 ... &source=22
Jack of All Parades

Last evening with Ms. Lisa a high energy and extremely entertaining show at The Towne Crier with the Alvin Brothers, Phil and Dave, with their powerhouse, tight band, The Guilty Ones. It was a delightfully long set of some old favorites from back in The Blasters days to selections from their recent records celebrating their musical heroes and mentors-Big Bill Broonzy and Big Joe Turner. Like other famous brother acts in music they have not always been able to share the same stage but last night they held the stage as brothers at ease with their relationship and their musical tastes. It was a show of 'common ground' to mirror the title of a recent album by them- imbued with their distinctive love of vintage blues and old R&B. It was perhaps best demonstrated when they soloed during Dave's barbed "What's Up with Your Brother?" when both broke into quotes of "Fly Me to the Moon" and that seminal line 'in other words, I love you'. Dave is an extremely capable improviser on the guitar[very much underrated as a player] and Phil still has his distinctive powerhouse voice. As an example that old battle horse from The Blasters "Marie, Marie" sounded like new last evening. The band was a marvel with Lisa Pankrotz on the drums[yes a women and playing better than quite a few men I have heard], Brad Fordham on bass and Chris Miller on guitar. The brothers have put together some able assistants. We truly enjoyed ourselves. Their show last evening demonstrates what over four decades of making music can produce-quality entertainment and musicianship and showmanship.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Last night, I saw one of the best shows I have ever seen. Sufjan Stevens put on an intense, emo-laden show here in Pittsburgh at Heinz Hall. This is the home of the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra so it was a high class show. The main part of the show was more a theatrical event. He did the newest album non-stop. He didn't talk to the audience until he came back out for his encores. You would think that Sufjan was serious all the time and had no sense of humor, but his final song was a song written by one of his musical heroes. He brought out his opening act, Gallant, and did Drake's Hotline Bling. He projected pictures of Drake on a screen behind him.
- M. Twain
Jack of All Parades

Iris Dement last evening at the Towne Crier down on Main Street with Ms. Lisa. A birthday present and one most enjoyed. Backed by a small band with electric bass and pedal steel and armed with the arresting material from her latest record-'The Trackless Wood'- which seamlessly puts voice and note to selected poems by Anna Akhmatova-she spun a 90 minute set that was haunted and exhilarating all at the same time. The glue through the set was her unique voice-once past its nasalness it is an evocative and enchanting instrument. She avoided her better known early work to concentrate on the alchemy she has made of Akhmatova's poetry. I am grateful she did. Here is a taste of last night which has already appeared on You-Tube-the opening song of the set-"Morning Glory"

https://youtu.be/d1jlZI0w3Dw
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Mountain Stage came to Pittsburgh last night and it was a dandy show. The headliners were Billy Bragg and Joe Henry doing some selections from their recent album, Shine A Light. The album is all cover songs about trains and train travel. The evening also included Chris Smithers, Kaia Kater, Robert Ellis, and an impressive Scottish group, LAU.
- M. Twain
verbal gymnastics

We had a fantastic forum turnout for Nick Lowe's London show on Sunday. In attendance were me, Sheeptotheslaughter, MOOT, Andy the Roofdog, iansephton as well as friends and cousins of forum members.

Through Ian Sephton I met a friend I haven't seen for over 40 years 8)

It was a great gig and he was backed by the fantastic Los Straitjackets.

He played a few Christmas songs and ended with a solo Alison.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Saw the virtuoso guitarist Albert Lee. I was not aware of him until a year ago, but I'm glad I'm aware of him now. His fingers just flew over the fretboard. He played some Ray Charles, Gram Parsons, Everly Brothers (he was in their band) and some other classic stuff.

I checked Youtube on him and up came a video with him a band named Jackshit. Is that same Jackshit that appears on this board?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szYNT-Dgscw
- M. Twain
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Yes, the same Jackshit - great spotting, thanks!