New Gig Thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
verbal gymnastics

Re: New Gig Thread

Post by verbal gymnastics »

You are a proper rock chick Nicola76 8) :wink:

My next gig is Larkin Poe on 23rd July in London. And then the gig cupboard is bare for a while. :(
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

The Soul Rebels put on an excellent party. One small stage, two trumpets, two trombones, one sousaphone, one saxophone, and two percussionists.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
nicola76

Post by nicola76 »

A very good week for gigs for me! First up, Kenny Rogers as a treat for my 79 year old Grandmother, although a bit of a guilty pleasure myself too. My Gran showed me how to put on a record for the first time when I was about 3 or 4, and I can remember clearly that it was 'Coward of the County' :lol: so when the chance came up to take her to see Kenny, I thought it would turn out to be a special night.

The show was pretty much what was expected after Glastonbury and a great range of ages from a few children there right up to people older and less physically able than my Gran. The hits were all played and all got great receptions with Ruby (Don't Take Your Love to Town) being the first to get everyone up. Coward of the County, Lady, Lucille, Daytime Friends got good reactions, but my goodness, I have seen few audiences react in a way that Glasgow did when The Gambler started! At that point, my Gran asked me to dance :lol: The show finished with Islands in the Stream, and another round of dancing and hollering before Kenny left the stage for his last UK show. It was a much better show than I expected, and I have a very happy Grandmother as a result :D Well worth the money for a special night like that.

Also, after Hyde Park on Friday, came The Rolling Stones on the Saturday. I originally had a ticket for the show on the 6th but when the second show was announced, I changed it to the 13th because I really fancied the support acts on the later date much more. In particular, I wanted to see Vintage Trouble and jake Bugg. I couldn't make the VT Glasgow gig earlier in the year because it clashed with an Elvis gig (priorities and all that!). I wasn't disappointed. I wasn't sure how they would go down on a big stage with so large an audience as I last saw them in a 200 person venue in Edinburgh. No worries for them. Their front man, Ty, is a brilliant entertainer. 1975 were the next band up, and they were so-so. Nothing more than standard radio fare, but nothing to make me get up on my feet in the way Vintage Trouble had.

Then it was supposed to be Tom Odell, but once his band had been set-up and the soundcheck completed ready for him to start, an announcement went up that he would not be performing due to an infection. Fair play to Hudson Taylor who stood in for him and who created quite a good atmosphere despite the late change. Some of the younger parts of the audience were quite keen to have seen Tom Odell, so a shame for them. Jake Bugg was the final of the support acts before the Rolling Stones, and songs like Lightning Bolt went down well.

And The Rolling Stones? Magic. I loved them. Worth the 6 and a half hour wait for a decent view, although the way Jagger covers every inch of the stage and the catwalk, I'd be suprised if there were many people there who didn't feel involved. The opened with Start Me Up and went through It's Only Rock n Roll, Tumbling Dice, Emotional Rescue, Honky Tonk Woman, Miss You (my favourite Stones track), Sympathy for the Devil, Midnight Rambler (with a great exchange between Jagger on Harmonica and Mick Taylor on guitar) and many more before finishing on You Can't Always Get What you Want and Satisfaction. I expected them to be good, but I really was blown away by them and astounded by Jagger's energetic performance. Was it worth the money and the time spent standing uncomfortably in 30 degrees? Yes! I loved it.

By the end of two days on my feet in the Hyde Park heat, my feet were in agony. I pity the poor man at Stansted Airport security who asked me to remove my shoes! I got back to Edinburgh at midnight, switched on the highlights of T in the Park, and definitely think I got the better deal :wink:

Next up, Paul Weller at Edinburgh Castle this weekend.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Great stuff nicola76! I admire how much time you spent waiting at Hyde Park. I bet you didn't even get a chance to go on the funfair rides :lol:

I hope Paul Weller doesn't let you down. I wasn't a fan of Sonic Kicks (very poor in my view) and for the first time in many many years I gave the tour a miss, especially as he played it in its entirety.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Saw Ryan Bingham, My Morning Jacket and Wilco a few weeks ago.

Big revelation for me was My Morning Jacket. I didn't know their stuff too well, but really loved their live set. Jim James is a pretty compelling performer and their kind of spacy psychedelia suited my mood. Wilco was magnificent as always - kind of a greatest hits set. Highlight was an absolutely stonking version of Art of Almost from their latest album. Nels Cline take a bow! I also enjoyed Ryan Bingham's set - straight ahead alt-country but really well done. Combination of his raspy voice, some fine guitar playing and his fantastic fiddle player made it work.

I couldn't stay for Dylan's set, unfortunately, as I had a medical emergency in my family.

Going to see Richard Thompson at Town Hall in September, and maybe Colin Meloy of Decemberists at the same venue in November.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Saw Ryan Bingham, My Morning Jacket and Wilco a few weeks ago.

Big revelation for me was My Morning Jacket. I didn't know their stuff too well, but really loved their live set. Jim James is a pretty compelling performer and their kind of spacy psychedelia suited my mood. Wilco was magnificent as always - kind of a greatest hits set. Highlight was an absolutely stonking version of Art of Almost from their latest album. Nels Cline take a bow! I also enjoyed Ryan Bingham's set - straight ahead alt-country but really well done. Combination of his raspy voice, some fine guitar playing and his fantastic fiddle player made it work.

I couldn't stay for Dylan's set, unfortunately, as I had a medical emergency in my family.

Going to see Richard Thompson at Town Hall in September, and maybe Colin Meloy of Decemberists at the same venue in November.
There you have it- my two favorite American bands these days- hands down 8) And could you imagine if Richard had been on that bill, as well?
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jack of All Parades wrote:There you have it- my two favorite American bands these days- hands down 8) And could you imagine if Richard had been on that bill, as well?
He was actually part of that tour when they went through the Midwest but didn't do the East Coast dates, unfortunately.
Jack of All Parades

Right- with his electric trio- I managed to catch him earlier this year in Boston opening for Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell. About the 10th time I caught him live over the past 40 years and he was tremendous. You should have a great show in September.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Art of Almost was sublime at the Roundhouse when they were touring the album. Brilliant on the record, transcendent live. They really are incomparable live. Amazing combination of a brilliant set of songs, a great frontman, an all-round great sound, and two of the best exponents of their instruments in Cline and Kotche. I came home after a pretty long week, made a long G&T and put on Impossible Germany. One of the best guitar solos ever? Nels Cline take a bow indeed, even if Bull Black Nova at a ridiculous volume at the Royal Festival Hall has left me with a lifetime of impairment with permanent left-ear tinnitus.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:I came home after a pretty long week, made a long G&T and put on Impossible Germany. One of the best guitar solos ever?
Yep that was fantastic as well. I'd seen them do some of the same material a few years ago at an outdoor concert but if they are playing anywhere near me I'll always make an effort to attend.

RT will be playing with his son, Teddy Thompson, so that should be an interesting one. I was blown away by him when I attended the EC Spectacle taping a few years ago at The Apollo.
Jack of All Parades

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
Otis Westinghouse wrote:I came home after a pretty long week, made a long G&T and put on Impossible Germany. One of the best guitar solos ever?
Yep that was fantastic as well. I'd seen them do some of the same material a few years ago at an outdoor concert but if they are playing anywhere near me I'll always make an effort to attend.

RT will be playing with his son, Teddy Thompson, so that should be an interesting one. I was blown away by him when I attended the EC Spectacle taping a few years ago at The Apollo.

Most envious of that bill. RT is the only artist I know who can stand on a stage, alone, with just his amplified acoustic guitar, and turn the room into a wall of sound as if there was a full band behind him. I witnessed that several years ago on a small stage in Ridgefield, CT with a friend Witnessing that was a transcendent experience.
nicola76

Post by nicola76 »

Well, it's been a few weeks since I saw Paul Weller at Edinburgh Castle. Firstly, Edinburgh Castle is a picturesque venue, but it's rotten in just about every other way, especially for those gigs which start in daylight. Anyway, venue aside, I thought this a so-so gig. I'd never seen Weller before, but have heard from others that he's a great performer, but I don't think the venue did him just. It's too exposed and it's difficult for any atmosphere to build there. The show slumped a bit in the middle, but the finish to the show is terrific when The Jam hits are rolled out. I got My Ever Changing Moods, so I was happy. Going to see him again at the Barrowlands, so I'm hoping the venue does him justice. The Barrowlands is a great place (Saw my first ever Elvis gig there :wink: )

And I managed to take in Martha Reeves at the Edinburgh Festival. She was great fun. Not often you get to see a proper Motown legend in front of you, so I can forego the voice which isn't what it was, but I can't say I wasn't thoroughly entertained by her. The show finished with about 40 people on the stage for Dancing in the Street and had it not been for being stoo behind a wheelchair, I'd have been there too.

Next up, Beerjacket in a tiny wee venue in Edinburgh tomorrow. If you like acoustic singer-songwriters, then it's worth having a look at his stuff online.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Saw a Canadian band called Enter The Haggis. I've never seen a rock 'n roll band with bagpipes.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Richard Thompson was simply amazing. What a great night. Teddy played about 6 songs to open, and they played together during the first encore. RT's set was something like this:

I Misunderstood
Saving the Good Stuff for You
Valerie
Johnny's Far Away
1952 Vincent Black Lightning
Pharaoh
Blackleg Miner
Oops... I Did It Again (Britney Spears cover)
Good Things Happen to Bad People
A Love You Can't Survive
My Enemy
(The Story Of) Hamlet
Sunset Song
Who Knows Where the Time Goes (Fairport Convention song)
The Snow Goose
Crawl Back
Down Where the Drunkards Roll

Encore:
Persuasion (with Teddy Thompson)
The Price of Love (The Everly Brothers cover) (with Teddy Thompson)

Encore 2:
Beeswing
nicola76

Post by nicola76 »

Had some great gigs last week - John Fullbright (The Pleaseance, Edinburgh), Charles Bradley (Glasgow O2 ABC) and Paul Weller (Glasgow Barrowlands :wink: )

Firstly, I've lived in Edinburgh for 15 years and never been to The Pleasance for a gig so this was a new one on me. I have to say, it was a really emotional experience for me. One song I hadn't heard before was High Road, and by the end of it, I was actually wiping away tears. The imagery and lyrics in it were just so vivid that it was impossible not to be moved by it. He's a fantastic musician - guitar, keyboard, harmonica - and there were some notes he played on the harmonica too that were just so uplifting..............super show. I notice he's playing with Jim Lauderdale soon too. Definitely one I would recommend seeing if you get the chance.

Charles Bradley at the O2 ABC was as expected with a great soul show. There was not support but a decent enough dj playing some northern soul tunes beforehand which got the atmosphere going. The band played a few songs before CB came on stage including a fairly stinking version of Summer in the City. CB is a great performer - you can't have served time as a James Brown impersonator without learning some tricks of the trade! Great dance moves (Verbal Gymnastics take note - spin, then splits - expect to see that move when next we meet!) and a stunning voice. Confusion was the highlight of the show for me. Definitely one to see again.

And finally, Weller at the Barrowlands. What a difference from his show at Edinburgh Castle in July. Played 26 tracks from just about each stage of his career starting with Sunflower finishing with Town Called Malice, and in between My Ever Changing Moods, Sea Spray, From the Floorboards Up, Friday Street and a massive singalong for Wild Wood. Not going to lie, I loved it. Definitely see him again there. Not been to a gig at the Barrowlands in years, and I've missed the place. Still my favourite venue in the world.
Last edited by nicola76 on Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Otis Westinghouse

Sounds good. Haven't heard of Fullbright.

Can't resist asking which other Jam songs Weller played? Saw them in 1980, and have even seen Bruce and Rick in the wonderfully names 'From The Jam', but never Weller solo. I think I'd spend the evening wishing him to play another Jam song and getting disappointed.
nicola76

Post by nicola76 »

Start! was the only song by The Jam at the Barrowlands, but at Edinburgh Castle he did also play That's Entertainment. There's always a marked difference in the crowd when he plays The Jam songs :D Finishing with Town Called Malice is always a great way to close a gig.

Incidentally, I know there's always murmurs about Elvis being nonetoohappy with guitar techs in the past, and during the Weller gig during the Changingman (which was the last song of the set) something went wrong with his pedalboard which his tech ran on to change and Weller quite openly shoved him away. Rightly or wrongly, seems to be a peril of the job!

Here's some John Fullbright

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5teMqHsThI
Otis Westinghouse

Good song. Thanks.
Otis Westinghouse

Lloyd Cole at the Union Chapel, solo and acoustic. 5th time I've seen him in this format (and 8th in total). Last time at the Union Chapel was with two other guitarists, which made it more varied and textured, but the purity and simplicity of his one man show is a very powerful event. He was in great voice, and despite numerous complaints re sore fingertips (odd considering he's been touring for weeks), his guitar playing was excellent.

Set contained the 5 most celebrated songs from Rattlesnakes, 7 from this year's superb Standards, and loads of gems from in between, including Hey Rusty in the hope that Jackson Monk was in the audience. Very similar to this, with Undressed for Brand New Friend, and the incredibly welcome addition of the heavenly Myrtle and Rose, which was perfect in this context:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/lloyd-col ... 711e1.html

Will have to see him at the Shepherds Bush Empire on Jan 31st (his 53rd birthday), backed by Glasgow band The Leopards, with whom he appears on Later this week. Women's Studies live on Tuesday was cracking. Apparently he cancelled two solo shows in Spain to do it, an offer he couldn't turn down, and brought forward the Leopards debut by several months. He promised the show would be rocking. Their lead guitarist (Mark Leven) sounds very good, and Lloyd's a big admirer. Know of them, Nicola76?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Great show by Colin Meloy last Friday at Town Hall, which is probably my fave NY venue now, eclipsing the Beacon and Bowery Ballroom. Apart from the single Kinks tune, which Wilco also covered when I saw them over the summer, it was all Decemberists back catalogue stuff with a few new tunes thrown in. Great night of music and stage banter. Eleanor Friedberger of Fiery Furnaces opened but I missed her set.

The Singer Addresses His Audience
July, July!
Calamity Song
The Soldiering Life )
Won't Want for Love (Margaret in the Taiga)
Red Right Ankle
Here I Dreamt I Was an Architect
Honeydew
Philomena
The Engine Driver
On the Bus Mall
Waterloo Sunset
January Hymn
Down by the Water
Bandit Queen

Encore:
The Crane Wife 1 & 2
The Crane Wife 3
Otis Westinghouse

I remember it well!

Doesn't CM have a solo album coming out, or am I just thinking of this solo tour? Never seen him/them. Would love to see The Engine Driver and a few others.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:I remember it well!

Doesn't CM have a solo album coming out, or am I just thinking of this solo tour? Never seen him/them. Would love to see The Engine Driver and a few others.
He talked about working on another Decemberists album that may be recorded soon. There have been some solo EPs, but no full album. I think he's been busy writing novels lately. There were a couple of false starts on songs, which embarrassed him. Was a bit rusty but still a great evening.
Otis Westinghouse

You haven't read any of his novels, have you? (Assuming he already has published some.)

Spent some time last night at my weekly band rehearsal working on 16 Military Wives with my chums. Should be a fun song to play to people even if they won't have a clue what it is. Pretty immediate.

Any thoughts re what to get next to add to Picaresque? I think you're a bit of a Crane Wife fan, but the King is Dead also got very well reviewed. he others are less familiar names to me.

The National on Thursday at the legendary Ally Pally. Excited is a complete understatement.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:You haven't read any of his novels, have you? (Assuming he already has published some.)

Spent some time last night at my weekly band rehearsal working on 16 Military Wives with my chums. Should be a fun song to play to people even if they won't have a clue what it is. Pretty immediate.

Any thoughts re what to get next to add to Picaresque? I think you're a bit of a Crane Wife fan, but the King is Dead also got very well reviewed. he others are less familiar names to me.

The National on Thursday at the legendary Ally Pally. Excited is a complete understatement.
Of their earlier albums Her Majesty is quite good. That's the first thing of theirs that I heard. Crane Wife is sort of a concept album where the songs flow thematically. It's quite good, and Shara Worden, who you saw perform with Sufjan Stevens here in NY, is a guest on that as well.
Jack of All Parades

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
Otis Westinghouse wrote:You haven't read any of his novels, have you? (Assuming he already has published some.)

Of their earlier albums Her Majesty is quite good. That's the first thing of theirs that I heard. Crane Wife is sort of a concept album where the songs flow thematically. It's quite good, and Shara Worden, who you saw perform with Sufjan Stevens here in NY, is a guest on that as well.
I wholly endorse "Her Majesty"- that is the one that got me started with the band. I put in a full endorsement for the "The King is Dead"- I still play it regularly some three years in and "January Song" never fails to perk me up. Some strong assistance from Gillian Welch on it, too. The accompanying EP is worth picking up, as well.