New Gig Thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
so lacklustre

New Gig Thread

Post by so lacklustre »

Im too lazy to find the old gigs thread.

What have you got upcoming?

I've just booked to see the Eels in May. Labelled as "EELS with strings", Mr E had this to say:

"The past few EELS tours had taken a physical and emotional toll on me. I decided it was time to stop. But then one night I was in the backyard smoking a cigar with Bobby, Jr. and I was thinking about how we've been pummeling the audiences with variations on a distorted, rocking theme for the past few tours and wouldn't it be nice to do something really different? I found myself getting creatively excited about the idea. I couldn't stop myself from calling the office and having my team of experts assist me in making this idea a reality. So here we come again. If you're looking for rock -- turn back. You've come to the wrong place. This is a whole other thing."

The gig I'm going to is at the Royal Festival Hall which is where EC did his North concert, and is mainly used for classical stuff but has good sound etc.

By the way the new EELs album BLINKING LIGHTS AND OTHER REVELATIONS is out on 26 April.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

A lot in April for me. I'm seeing M. Ward at the Bowery Ballroom on April 10, Glenn Tilbrook at the Canal Room on the 12th, then EC on the 22nd at the Beacon and finally (if I can make it) Dave Alvin at our local club, the Towne Crier, on the 30th. Also have tickets for U2 in October at MSG, on the wife's birthday.

I'm also considering checking out The Decemberists in May, either at Irving Plaza or over in Brooklyn.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

So far just Glenn Tilbrook on 17th, though I may try to squeeze in Josh Rouse in April as well. Beyond that, I'm hoping for some upcoming tours from folks like Aimee Mann.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

steve earle, april 7 and elvis, may 4. gave up on U2 but still hope to strike some slimy deal between now and december.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

john prine, on april 8. haven't seen him live in almost, uh..., 25 years. oh dear sweet lord, I can't be that old.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I'm seeing Trashcan Sinatras at The Paradise in a few weeks. Yay!!
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

I'll go to a couple of unplugged Oysterband shows in a fortnight to celebrate my thirtieth birthday (lots of lisping there), then do a small Euro tour myself to launch our new record (see avatar), and when I get home I'll be catching Lou Reed, Antony and Elvis & the Imps (twice) all within a month. Looking good.
What this world needs is more silly men.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

mood swung wrote: 25 years. oh dear sweet lord, I can't be that old.
oh hell, you're way older than that! :)
goodbyegirl

Post by goodbyegirl »

Planning to see Glenn Tilbrook also in a couple of weeks and of course Elvis in July. My summer is complete! No other shows planned as of yet.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Joe Jackson and Todd Rundgren together at the Ryman on May 9 - with Cosmos! :)
guidedbyvoices

Post by guidedbyvoices »

This is the first time in years I don't have any gigs upcoming. I'd be seeing The Decemberists next weekend but my wife will be out of town, so I have to babysit our baby! I've seen them twice though so I'm not heartbroken.
we have powerlines in our bloodlines
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Just back from Doves - fabulous! What a glorious, trippy, melodic, rhythmic noise they make.

Started with Pounding, but the PA failed 10 seconds from the end so the band left the stage for 5 minutes while the roadies got busy. When they returned we were treated to that joyous song again! Quickly followed by Words & Black and White Town. Stunning opening!

Main set ended with Cedar Room, and the encore began with Here it Goes. This time the drummer (actually the bass player, the proper drummer was takinga break on vocals) lost the plot part way and they had to start again (again), followed by There Goes the Fear to close.

Magic!
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Sounds great. Pounding is one of the most exciting songs I've ever heard. they played in Cambridge and I missed them!

Am going to John Martyn in May. Saw him for free in Barcelona in '87 on the steps of the cathedral and thought it was pleasant enough, but knew nothing of him. Now I know the genius that is in songs like Solid Air, May You Never and Sweet Little Mystery and that brilliant singing voice, and can't wait. He's got very big and lost a leg, so sits on his stool like huge, imperious old style blues man.

Planning to see Rufus Wainwright here too. And will see EC in Leicester. All within the space of a few days in May, which is nice.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

well, steve earle was awesome. but if you are ever in a bar with this guy, just assume you are gonna be in a fight. he ripped through 8 songs before he ever spoke and after that he trashed republicans, various wars, america, all supervisory personnel ("if you have a boss, you need a union") and more about every 2 songs. he was boomin' though and played almost everything off of "the revolution starts now", plus "revolution", not to mention "sweet virginia". here is a 50 year old guy with a critically-acclaimed album, who does what he wants, has his little brother on stage with him, his drop dead gorgeous and talented girlfriend ex-wife #7 to be allison moorer on stage also, and 2 hours and 5 minutes into the show he steps to the mike and says for the 5th time "listen, we gotta do something to get this war stopped"! gotta love it.
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Going to see Nick Lowe on April 21st. Let's hope this one doesn't get cancelled as well.

I promised a friend I'd see Iron Maiden with her :oops: . I don't remember when though.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

The Christians in 2 weeks time
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Saw M. Ward at the Bowery Ballroom last night. Incredible show. If you're not familiar with him, M. Ward is a singer-songwriter-guitarist from Southern California by way of Portland, Oregon. He has a weathered voice that reminds me a little bit of Tom Waits and Vic Chesnutt, but his style is totally distinctive. The music is very blues-y and mysterious - its appeal is really hard to describe, especially when you're as tired as I am! In any case, run out and grab his new album, "Transistor Radio" - he deserves to be heard by as many people as humanly possible.

The flip side of the show was the opening act, two sisters who call themselves Coco Rosie. One did sort of melismatic opera-like singing and played guitar, while the other fiddled around with a Speak and Spell and screeched like a cat in heat. Simply dreadful - maybe the worst act I've ever seen. People were just shaking their heads through their whole set. When they announced that it would be their last song, a big cheer went up. This kind of pretentious nonsense gives "alternative" music a bad name.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Nick Lowe play this sunday in Copenhagen but i still haven't decided...
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Is your dilemma about what you're going to wear Von? After all deciding whether or not to see Nick Lowe is the easy part!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Is your dilemma about what you're going to wear Von? After all deciding whether or not to see Nick Lowe is the easy part!

:D It's the latter. It's hard convincing my friends that we should go see this 50+ guy on a sunday because he produced some EC records. At least when the concert isn't too cheap. :?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Fair enough Von. I had the same trouble with EC. I don't bother trying to ask any of my friends who live locally. Besides it now gives me a chance to meet up with my fellow board members :D
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

How much are the tickets over there, Von?
They're only 280-300 SEK in Gothenburg and Malmö. You could take a cheap ferry and see him over here.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I bought Mose Allison tickets today - I'm going to see him at the Pizza Express http://www.pizzaexpress.co.uk/indexf.htm - which seems perfectly natural because I've seen him a couple of times at a Chinese restaurant http://www.chanseggrollsandjazz.com/jazz.htm
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Chrille wrote:How much are the tickets over there, Von?
They're only 280-300 SEK in Gothenburg and Malmö. You could take a cheap ferry and see him over here.
They are actually cheaper over here - 200 dkr. So that's not an excuse for me - but for my friends it is... :roll:
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Rufus Wainwright at the Corn Exchange. Standing. Rare example of seeing someone who wasn't known before this decade, and whose music I don't know. He's been getting lots of column inches here recently. I suspect I might enjoy him more live than recorded. Any fans here?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more