New Gig Thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Of Montreal this Saturday, baby! It does mean going into dumb, faraway Brooklyn, but that's a price I will pay...
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Booked tickets today for 'Kaisers Chiefs'. They are new, hot and proberbly soon forgotten but is't cheap and it's on Christiania... 8)
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I have the Kaiser Chiefs album, it's not bad, very XTC-ish.
signed with love and vicious kisses
miss buenos aires

Of Montreal blew my mind. It was that rare concert that makes me forget what a curmudgeon I am. And the lead singer is about ten times hotter than I expected, which didn't hurt.

Does anyone here listen to them, or am I just spitting into the wind when I go on about them?
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

I believe they are on that wonderful mix cd you spun for me last year. Were they "Tim, I Wish You Were My Boyfriend"?
miss buenos aires

Yes! But it was actually, "Tim, I Wish You Were Born a Girl."
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

miss buenos aires wrote:Yes! But it was actually, "Tim, I Wish You Were Born a Girl."
Damn, I always get the title wrong.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Was at the Glenn Tilbrook & The Fluffers gig last night. Pretty small venue and audience, which was why it was easily noticeable that at about 7:30, Ron Sexsmith walked into the venue. He hung out for the show and seemed to enjoy himself. A pretty Squeeze-heavy set with all the old favoruites.. "Pulling Mussells From A Shell", "Tempted", "Black Coffee In Bed" among the highlights... for "Black Coffee In Bed" the entire band stood up on the bar and played without microphones. It was pretty awesome.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
goodbyegirl

Post by goodbyegirl »

Blue,

Did you get to meet Glenn at all or get an autograph? He is usually very gracious after his shows. I saw him Friday in NY and had a fantastic time. I was lucky enough to hang with him before the show and talk about some stuff. I also got the biggest hug ever and an autograph on my Difford and Tilbrook LP cover. Glad you enjoyed yourself!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Goodbye,

Your namesake was definitely a highlight of the show too
:D

Unfortunately it was pretty late by the time the show had ended, and with a bit of a drive home and an early morning rise-up, Red and I had to split pretty immediately. I'm regretting not trying to score an interview with Glenn for Being There, though.

I also kind of wished that Glenn had pulled Ron Sexsmith up for a number, not that he needed any help wowing the audience.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I've got the Decemberists coming up in a couple week (highly recommended by the excellent people of this very board) and JazzFest this weekend and next. I'm going to see Wilco Friday night, Brian Wilson on Sunday and our Elvis next Saturday.
bobster

Post by bobster »

BlueChair wrote:Was at the Glenn Tilbrook & The Fluffers gig last night. Pretty small venue and audience, which was why it was easily noticeable that at about 7:30, Ron Sexsmith walked into the venue. He hung out for the show and seemed to enjoy himself. A pretty Squeeze-heavy set with all the old favoruites.. "Pulling Mussells From A Shell", "Tempted", "Black Coffee In Bed" among the highlights... for "Black Coffee In Bed" the entire band stood up on the bar and played without microphones. It was pretty awesome.
This sounds most, er, tempting. Haven't been going to many shows of late, but I'll have to keep an eye out for Glenn....
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Yeah, it was good. M. Ward was playing 'cross town last night as well, and quite honestly, I might have gone to that gig had I known about it when I bought the Glenn tix. But I don't feel let down, and I have a feeling M. Ward will be back to Toronto before Tilbrook.

Decemberists are playing here end of May but I'll be out of town. Pity, as I really enjoy the record.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

BlueChair wrote:Yeah, it was good. M. Ward was playing 'cross town last night as well, and quite honestly, I might have gone to that gig had I known about it when I bought the Glenn tix. But I don't feel let down, and I have a feeling M. Ward will be back to Toronto before Tilbrook.
That's a tough one, Blue. Definitely make plans to see M. Ward the next time he's in town. The set he played in NY was outstanding.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Looking ahead- Mr. Neil Diamond on Oct. 18. If you haven't had the pleasure of witnessing a full on Diamond-fest, don't you dare criticize!
bobster

Post by bobster »

A hot October night....
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

pophead2k wrote:Looking ahead- Mr. Neil Diamond on Oct. 18. If you haven't had the pleasure of witnessing a full on Diamond-fest, don't you dare criticize!
Went once with my mom when I was in high school. The man can sing and puts on a good show, puffy sequined shirt and all.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

pophead2k wrote:Looking ahead- Mr. Neil Diamond on Oct. 18. If you haven't had the pleasure of witnessing a full on Diamond-fest, don't you dare criticize!
Another good one in Mo's voice! Sorry, I just can't get past it for some reason.... :lol:
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

EC tomorrow at the Beacon. Can't wait. Missed last summer's shows at Lincoln Center and will not be able to make any of this summer's dates, so this will be my last dose of EC for a while, I imagine. Hope he plays a long set, but I think that union regulations in New York may prevent that.
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Seriously considering making a trek out to T.O. for this one
Ron Sexsmith, Oscar Peterson and Toronto Symphony Orchestra in one show. Wow.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Mug, here's a great little site that covers all things Moe. Now excuse me, its time for my annual suicide attempt.

http://animatedtv.about.com/gi/dynamic/ ... 2Fmoe.html
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

That's just perfect. I do love his voice.

So, I wrote a quick thumbs-up of the recent Trashcan Sinatras gig I went to, but really it deserves much more.

The Kindly Doof turned a bunch of on to TCS's latest record, Weightlifting. It's great stuff, and I'm happy to report they played at least these tracks off it (not in this order):

Got Carried Away
All the Dark Horses
Freetime
Usually
It's a Miracle
Leave Me Alone
Weightlifting

Got Carried Away is prob my fave off the record, so it was just fantastic to hear. These guys are serious pros, so it would be worth going to hear them live just for the musicianship. But the tunes are absolutely unforgettable, and the lyrics are really lovely and clever. Anybody who likes Blue Nile and/or Crowded House should own this record, cause it's sort of right in between those two bands.

The guys in the band all look like Dads-- well, Scottish dads-- and they probably are. However that did not stop me having a minor swoon when lead singer Frank Reader did a sort of shout-out-point-with-the-guitar thing right at me at the end of a song.

Anyway, it's a great show. Go for it!
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I saw Mose Allison last night in London. He's in his late 70's, but you couldn't tell by his voice and playing. In two one hour sets, he brought out all the hits - "Mind Is on Vacation", "If You're Going To the City", "Feel So Good", "Molecular Structure", Everybody's Cryin' Mercy" etc. - one of the cool things about Mose is he always lets you know who wrote the song and where they came from -"....This one's by the great blues man from Vicksburgh Mississippi Willie Dixon" - before launching into "Seventh Son" - or "This next one is from a man who wrote over two hundred songs, the great Tennessee song writer John D. Loudermilk" and he jumps into "(You Call it Jogging I Call it) Running Around".
They sat us up front a little too close to the drums (goofy drummer). Mose is so laid back - as he sits down he tosses his fleece pullover on top of the piano, partially obscuring the view.
If you have a chance, get to see him - he's in town all week. I also heard he'll be doing the Jools Holland show - at least check that out.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

I'm so jealous of you English types. Chances of seeing Mose live in Sweden seems about as good as seeing the first Elvis. And you Americanos too. I'll never experience Greg Brown mumble his merry way through "Mose Allison Played Here" either.
What this world needs is more silly men.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

...but I saw Lou Reed for the third time in about years the other day. On these three gigs only two songs were repeated, so you're always on your toes. Long gone are the days of predictable Velvet/Transformer setlists, here are spontaneous ten minute jams and plenty of call-and-response and Lou switching to bass and taking a one string solo on it while hollering "I'm gonna fuck your brains out! I'm gonna fuck you like an animal! I'm gonna put you in therapy!" in Guilty, ending with "James Brown; I'm his biggest fan."

Setlist:
1. Adventurer (muddy sound made this a weak opener)
2. The Proposition (nice surprise, the band locked on this one)
3. My House (slight change of lyric, as Sylvia was cut out: "I've really got a lucky life/Got rid of the motorcycle, got rid of the wife" but he still sang "Our house is very beautiful at night" at the end, over double bass drums, believe it or not)
4. Ecstasy (the only song played on all three gigs, always a highlight with a very animated Lou playing a solo that brought I Heard Her Call My Name to mind)
5. Guilty (great fun)
6. Mad (hilarious deadpan delivery, especially the lines "Ass/You call me an ass/Well look out baby/'cause I'm gonna hold you tight")
7. Talking Book (unfortunately Fernando wailed the beautiful second verse to pieces)
8. Slip Away - A Warning (very sensitive band version, my girlfriend's fave)
9. Charley's Girl (rousing gospelly Shalala/handclaps version)
10. Burning Embers (very focused, with long violent cello solo)
11. Vanishing Act (showstopping atmospheric lighting and theatrical mime gestures from Lou, he played this last time around too)
12. Guardian Angel (a bit anticlimactic, something more dynamic would have worked better after Vanishing Act)
13. The Blue Mask (started out as slow cruel funk and ended like metal)

encore:
14. Perfect Day (just beautiful)
What this world needs is more silly men.