New Gig Thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Re: New Gig Thread

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Although I only saw Lambchop in March at the Barbican, the fact that they're playing London again in November, this time at Cadogan Hall. Former Christian Science hall, rather austere looking, but apparently with excellent acoustics. They have a fabulous seating plan on which you can click any seat and get the view of the stage. As it only houses 905 people, less than half the Barbican, no seat is far away. I got a decent one.

I saw mention that Mr M might be Lambchop' last album (my favourite of 2012 thus far), though surely Wagner would continue anyway. So in case this is their last tour, I'm not missing it! I loved them first time. Probably quietest band I've ever seen. I only hope they play more from OH (Ohio) which easily makes my top 10 album list on a permanent basis, and also that brilliant guitarist William Tyler, absent in March, is with them this time.

They seem to have a big mainland European following - only the one show here, but loads in France, Germany, Netherlands, etc. Obscure small towns you've never heard of.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I am seeing Joe Jackson at Cadogan Hall on 8 November.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

Ha, 24 hours apart. Ever been there before? Me neither. But capacity 905 + good acoustics sounds promising.

Cracking Dexys (no apostrophe now) show at the Cambridge Corn Exchange this week. Played all the new album in its entirety note for note, worked very well, then went Until I Believe in My Soul / Tell Me When My Light... / Until I... reprise, with the policeman sequence (that someone said they did back in 1982, wherein Kevin confesses to the PC that his soul is burning, then an extended rendition of Come On Eileen with new bits in it, then a one song encore, but the full 10 minutes or whatever version of This Is What She's Like, which along with many admirers of good old Kevin would view as his finest hour, and this was a fantastic rendition. Truly stirring.

He doesn't hit the high notes like he used to, but his voice still sounds great, and he's retained all of his intensity, or most of it. He's had a mad career and many of his finest moments are a curious mixture of genius and bonkers (e.g. What's She Like), but there's something truly admirable about the man. Great to see him back on form.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Nick Lowe (solo)
John Hiatt and the Combo

In Charlotte, NC, USA - September and October.

Graham Parker and THE FECKING RUMOUR!!!!!!! in Alexandria, Virginia in November.

I love this time of year!!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

So the first two of my Autumn clutch of gigs have been and gone already, and both excellent in their own way.

Carthy/Swarbrick at a mostly full 400 seat venue were chatty, funny & enlightening, and the music was a fine mix of Swarbrick led fiddle intrumentals and Carthy led selections from the vast Martin Carthy songbook collection. Many stories and leisurly pace with much retuning of guitar and fiddle between songs etc. Both are 71 years, but didn't stop them combining the two sets for over two hours, and came and sold their CDs themselves out of a suitcase at the interval.

Levellers acoustic was excellent although not strictly acoustic! The band were tight played a good mixture of old and new material, and ramped up the speed as the gig went on so the last half hour was all fast and furious and even managed to get me out of my seat. They are very good musicians, and we left the gig buzzing. Warm up band Moulettes aslo worth catching, female vocalists in modern folk style almost Mumford and daughters.
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Saw Nick Lowe solo last night here in St. Louis. Best show I've seen of anyone in years. The Jesus of Cool has never been better. Full of nuance, subtlety, wit, and could rock it hard when he needed to . . . . all with a voice in fine form, AND an amazing guitar player. Nick is up there with Sinatra in my opinion.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Saw State of the Union on Thursday at small venue with an audience of about 80. I'm not that familiar with either Boo Hyerdene or Brooks Williams but both were excellent and however unlikely the partnership of an American bottlneck slide guitar maestro who mainly has background in blues, and an English geezer who has been on the fringes of the alt.folk scene for thirty years, may seem I can confirm that it most definitely is a triumph. Had been listening to their self titled album for the past three weeks or so and based solely on that was really looking forward top the gig, which isn't always a good thing as this can often lead to anti-climax. They started the first half by doing a couple of solo songs each, which were all good, and then came together for the rest of the show. The remainder of the first half was mainly new unreleased stuff and the tieredd seating stand was rocking with foot tapping swaying enjoyment. The interval was filled with Brooks flogging CDs, and chating to the audience about anything. The second half, they played most of their album, including the excellent stripped back cover of the Pet Shop Boys' Rent, and a few extra songs thrown in including a cover of a Dave Alvin song (King of California I think). Boo really has an excellent voice, and totally fascinating waching Brooks' guitar playing, amazing the range of sounds he gets out of it. A good gig all round, and Mrs Solack and 14 yr old loved it too. I think they are doing more dates in November, I'd recommend you go if you can.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Here is a link to the webpage which has tour dates and where you can watch them do Rent and some other tracks.

http://www.stateoftheunionmusic.com/
Otis Westinghouse

Like that cover of Rent, such a great song. Boo Hewerdine lives up the road in Ely and does a fair amount around these parts, but I've never seen him. I know some big fans, though. Looks like I missed a chance to see them here last weekend.
HopeYou'reHappyNow

Post by HopeYou'reHappyNow »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Ha, 24 hours apart. Ever been there before? Me neither. But capacity 905 + good acoustics sounds promising.

Cracking Dexys (no apostrophe now) show at the Cambridge Corn Exchange this week. Played all the new album in its entirety note for note, worked very well, then went Until I Believe in My Soul / Tell Me When My Light... / Until I... reprise, with the policeman sequence (that someone said they did back in 1982, wherein Kevin confesses to the PC that his soul is burning, then an extended rendition of Come On Eileen with new bits in it, then a one song encore, but the full 10 minutes or whatever version of This Is What She's Like, which along with many admirers of good old Kevin would view as his finest hour, and this was a fantastic rendition. Truly stirring.

He doesn't hit the high notes like he used to, but his voice still sounds great, and he's retained all of his intensity, or most of it. He's had a mad career and many of his finest moments are a curious mixture of genius and bonkers (e.g. What's She Like), but there's something truly admirable about the man. Great to see him back on form.
I saw Dexys at The Barbican Centre and couldn't agree more. It was a wonderful show.
"But look at yourself
You'll see you're still so young
You haven't earned the weariness
That sounds so jaded on your tongue"
HopeYou'reHappyNow

I saw The Proclaimers in York last night. They were superb. I don't know what their stock is like around here, but I personally love their songs and consider them underrated talents. Their latest album is genuinely one of their best and they're in a rich vein of form in their songwriting and performance. The icing on the cake was that the Reid brothers came out into the foyer afterwards for at least an hour and met every fan who wanted to meet them, signing merchandise, posing for photos, shaking hands and chatting. Their tour is a sell-out, so it's not as if they're having to drum up support or publicity - they were simply bringing a lot of pleasure to their fans for the sake of it. I've admired their music and its message for a long time, but the loyalty they've shown to their fans was extraordinary. I wish more artists were like this.

I also saw Ray Davies in Brighton last week. Was fortunate enough to get front row tickets and so shook his hand afterwards. It was a very good show, but his voice has deteriorated a little, which is a shame.

Gigs I have coming up: Alice Cooper (Wembley, 28th Oct), Jack White (Ally Pally, 3rd Nov), 10CC (Croydon, 10th Nov), Muse (Munich, 12th Nov), Squeeze (Brighton, 21st Nov), Rufus Wainwright (Brighton, 24th Nov) and Frank Turner (Southampton, 29th Nov).
"But look at yourself
HopeYou'reHappyNow

so lacklustre wrote:Saw State of the Union on Thursday at small venue with an audience of about 80. I'm not that familiar with either Boo Hyerdene or Brooks Williams but both were excellent and however unlikely the partnership of an American bottlneck slide guitar maestro who mainly has background in blues, and an English geezer who has been on the fringes of the alt.folk scene for thirty years, may seem I can confirm that it most definitely is a triumph. Had been listening to their self titled album for the past three weeks or so and based solely on that was really looking forward top the gig, which isn't always a good thing as this can often lead to anti-climax. They started the first half by doing a couple of solo songs each, which were all good, and then came together for the rest of the show. The remainder of the first half was mainly new unreleased stuff and the tieredd seating stand was rocking with foot tapping swaying enjoyment. The interval was filled with Brooks flogging CDs, and chating to the audience about anything. The second half, they played most of their album, including the excellent stripped back cover of the Pet Shop Boys' Rent, and a few extra songs thrown in including a cover of a Dave Alvin song (King of California I think). Boo really has an excellent voice, and totally fascinating waching Brooks' guitar playing, amazing the range of sounds he gets out of it. A good gig all round, and Mrs Solack and 14 yr old loved it too. I think they are doing more dates in November, I'd recommend you go if you can.
I've seen Boo Hewerdine many times and SOTU once - they're great together. Boo is a criminally ignored songwriter - his solo albums are things of beauty and his work with The Bible is pretty fine too. The last two Chris Difford albums (The Last Temptation Of Chris & Cashmere If You Can - which are both excellent) were co-written with Boo (words: Difford, music: Hewerdine) and are well worth checking out if you haven't already. If you can't tell, I'm a bit of a fan! :lol:
"But look at yourself
HopeYou'reHappyNow

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Like that cover of Rent, such a great song. Boo Hewerdine lives up the road in Ely and does a fair amount around these parts, but I've never seen him. I know some big fans, though. Looks like I missed a chance to see them here last weekend.
He's doing a Christmas gig on December 18th in Ely, The Maltings - Chris Difford will be there, as well as Brooks Williams and David McAlmont. Oh, and me. I thoroughly recommend it!
"But look at yourself
Otis Westinghouse

Yes, I've heard about this - the McAlmont bit is interesting. It's probably sold out. Nice, small venue, never been but seen pics and a friend enjoyed performing there (it being just up the road).

You've been and are going to be pretty busy with gigs and CDs! Had no idea 10CC were reforming. Tempting!

Never seen the Proclaimers, but would love to. The covers band I play in does 500 Miles as a standard party tune. corny, but it never fails to get a response, and quite often we get a full-blown conga going!
HopeYou'reHappyNow

Don't get too excited about 10CC - it's basically just Graham Gouldman from the the "classic" line-up, plus a couple who joined after Godley & Creme left. However, Gouldman is a great songwriter and musician and I've heard really good reviews, so thought it would be worth the time and money. It'll be really nice to hear those brilliant songs live as well - but it's a bit of a misnomer to call themselves 10CC, if I'm honest.

I'd have bought the tickets if it'd said "Graham Gouldman plays his songs and the hits of 10CC", but I'm sure hundreds wouldn't have!
"But look at yourself
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Ticket bought for Aimee Mann at the Royal Festival Hall in January. Her new album is OK, but may improve on repeated listenings.

Recently saw Muse at the O2 in North Greenwich. The stage set, lighting and projections were amazing. The music I can take or leave, and I say that as a fan of Progressive Rock from the 1970s (early era Genesis, Yes etc). A few tracks got going, but others left me cold.

Last month I had the pleasure of seeing The Fall, The Undertones, Bearsuit and Dingus Khan all on the same bill. It had been more than 30 years since I last saw the Undertones and clearly they have a different lead singer now. The years have not been kind to John O'Neill, whereas brother Damian seems to have fared better. They are very tight live, and the brevity of a lot of their songs means that things move at a fair lick. There are the usual incongruities of a bunch of middle aged men, singing about Teenage Kicks, but if they didn't play it there would be more complaints. The Fall were the Fall. Again it is probably 30 years since I last saw them, and clearly the line up has changed numerous times over that period. Mark E Smith remains a national treasure, a shambling, incoherent icon. The audience seemed to feed on his disdain. They are unlike almost any other band I know, and all the better for it.

Back in September I saw Dexys again at the Barbican in London, playing "One Day I'm Going to Soar". I thoroughly commend them to you all, particular to forum members Down Under where Dexys are due to play shortly. Dates are:

10th Nov – Harvest Festival, Melbourne
11th Nov – Harvest Festival, Melbourne
12th Nov – Astor Theatre, Perth
15th Nov – Enmore Theatre, Sydney
17th Nov – Harvest Festival, Sydney
18th Nov – Harvest Festival, Brisbane

Most of the show will be the new album in its entirety, from start to finish, but then a few "old favourites" at the end, usually including "Come on Eileen". This is very far from a Greatest Hits show, and very much about showcasing the new (very good) album. See them if you can.

MOOT
Otis Westinghouse

God you're a gigaholic! Impressed. I would go to Muse if someone gave me the ticket, but not otherwise, but yeah, must be enjoyable.

Mark E Smith sounds like it was worthwhile, though I've not bothered with their recent Cambridge visits as it sounded like he was in danger of lapsing into irredeemable self-parody.

Echo what you say re Dexys. Long live Kevin. For me seeing the full-on, full-length rendition of What's She Like? was one of my highlights of the year.
HopeYou'reHappyNow

I saw Jack White at Ally Pally last night. He was pretty good, but the sound was overwhelming, hard to separate and somewhat distorted - slightly difficult to completely enjoy, but it was a decent night. Doubt if I'd go back to Alexandra Palace again, though, as the transport links are dreadful and I struggled to get home afterwards.

I'm going to see Ben Kweller on Thursday at The Electric Ballroom in Camden. I've been a fan of his since "Sha Sha", a wholly lovely indie classic. His backing back is Brighton's Electric Soft Parade, who are also substantial talents, so I'm hoping for a good gig.

Aimee Mann's new album isn't bad at all - I agree that it will probably benefit from repeated plays.
"But look at yourself
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Just picked up a seat for The Who at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville on December 2nd. Anyone else taking in a show on the Quad tour?
Heats101

Post by Heats101 »

Seeing Bombay Bicycle Club here in Adelaide in January.
Saw them for the first time earlier in the year as support to Elbows tour down under.Was very impressed with the BBC performance and am glad that they are now headlining here in their own right.
Good manners and bad breath get you nowhere
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Joe Jackson at Cadogan Hall, Sloane Square was fabulous indeed. Nice venue, excellent band and thoroughly enjoyable show.
HopeYou'reHappyNow

Saw Ben Kweller last night at The Electric Ballroom. He was excellent - backed by two members of Brighton's Electric Soft Parade, he did a run through of his best material from throughout the years instead of merely plugging his new album like so many artists tend to. Excellent and very likeable.
"But look at yourself
Otis Westinghouse

so lacklustre wrote:Joe Jackson at Cadogan Hall, Sloane Square was fabulous indeed. Nice venue, excellent band and thoroughly enjoyable show.
How weird did he look? The photo I posted on the meet-up thread was plain disturbing, but in this Nov 4 clip he looks human again:

He looks a little like a cross between Yeltsin and Gorbachev. Early on in the clip he looks a bit worried, as if the combined effect of all those fags (he's a determined pro-smoking lobbyist, I recall) and singing and playing the accordion is taking its toll, but then he has a nie laugh at the over the top tuba and cymbals arrangement here.

I still have Look Sharp in a double 10" edition that came with a badge. He had a rather unfair reputation as the poor man's Costello, with his Zoot Suit phase his answer to Costello's C & W one. Gives a good account of himself here, anyway.

I too thought Cadogan Hall was excellent. You walk up the stairs thinking of all the freaks who must have occupied it in its original incarnation as a Church of Christ the Scientist temple. Great acoustics. When I saw Lambchop at the Barbican in March, it was the quietest and subtlest gig I'd ever seen. Now that has been surpassed by their show last night. Every tap of each cymbal or small guitar, piano, percussion, etc. sound was clear. For someone who now has to use earplugs for anything at all loud due to tinnitus, this was heaven. The good news is that the show format was different to March, which was the superb latest album Mr M in its near entirety followed by some old faves, and nothing off my personal fave OH (Ohio), whereas this time they played the beyond sublime 'Slipped, Dissolved and Loosed' and the title track from it. The bad news is that at other shows in Europe they've also played 'Sharing a Gibson with MLK Jnr', which I just love, and would be perfect live. It was also sad to see quite a few empty seats. The Barbican was full in March and this is half the capacity. I suspect because it was a one-off UK show with minimal publicity, and no fan forum I know of to spread the word, and maybe too soon after March.

For any fans of Nixon, 'Nashville Parent' from a Cologne church:

sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

HopeYou'reHappyNow wrote:I saw The Proclaimers in York last night. They were superb. I don't know what their stock is like around here, but I personally love their songs and consider them underrated talents. Their latest album is genuinely one of their best and they're in a rich vein of form in their songwriting and performance. The icing on the cake was that the Reid brothers came out into the foyer afterwards for at least an hour and met every fan who wanted to meet them, signing merchandise, posing for photos, shaking hands and chatting. Their tour is a sell-out, so it's not as if they're having to drum up support or publicity - they were simply bringing a lot of pleasure to their fans for the sake of it. I've admired their music and its message for a long time, but the loyalty they've shown to their fans was extraordinary. I wish more artists were like this.

I also saw Ray Davies in Brighton last week. Was fortunate enough to get front row tickets and so shook his hand afterwards. It was a very good show, but his voice has deteriorated a little, which is a shame.

Gigs I have coming up: Alice Cooper (Wembley, 28th Oct), Jack White (Ally Pally, 3rd Nov), 10CC (Croydon, 10th Nov), Muse (Munich, 12th Nov), Squeeze (Brighton, 21st Nov), Rufus Wainwright (Brighton, 24th Nov) and Frank Turner (Southampton, 29th Nov).

I saw the Proclaimers a few years back in Southend and they did they same, sign autographs etc. I have a large canvas in my dining room of myself, Mrs Sheep and the youngest 'lamb' with the boys gracing the wall. I was actually surprised what big fellas they were. I always imagined they were little weedy blokes.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Got a ticket to see Martha Wainwright next week.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain