New Gig Thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
sheeptotheslaughter

Re: New Gig Thread

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

verbal gymnastics wrote:sheepto the slaughter - are you VG in disguise? :lol:

I went to see The Specials in Brighton last night - superb!

I am also going to see Glenn Tilbrook in Blackheath on 20th December.

I also go to see Elvis in London (although it has been known that I have travelled elsewhere to see him...).

All you need to do now is say you are a fan of The Jam/Paul Weller and I will buy you drinks forevermore (well, 12th December if you can make it)!

Otis - what classes as a proper Elvis show? That Tower of London one by the way was very expensive and not one of the best ones I have seen BY A LONG WAY!
Yes I do like Paul Weller. Went to the O2 earlier this year but to be truthful that was the first time I'd seen him live since the Style Council.
I thought the Tower of London was a decent gig but far too expensive. I brought my wife and my daughter cost me £250. The missus loved it and she doesn't like Elvis.

Im working on the 12th and then have an Xmas drink to go to after. But I will try and make the next one.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Kenwood! That's it (why did I say Somerset?).

So we're a few months off 5 years since he last played a proper rock 'n' roll, London theatre show. Shocking.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Devo in NY this past Friday night. They played the Q: Are We Not Men lp from front to back and encored with Smart Patrol/Mr DNA - Gates of Steel - Secret Agent Man

It was a tremendous show. Here's a nice video of Jocko Homo that was taken from the balcony -

Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Took my daughter to her first gig at the Nokia Theater in Times Square on Saturday - The Cat Empire, who are from Australia. My wife had been given a few of their CDs by one of her friends over there and Madeleine likes to listen to it when she cleans her room. Their style is a fun mix of ska, Latin jazz, hip hop and a number of other world influences. Really positive, uplifting music and they were a hell of a lot of fun to see live. We were right down in the front of the GA section next to the stage, and she managed to hang in there the whole time, despite some crowd surfing and other craziness. Great night out.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Glenn Tilbrook was excellent. usual smattering of cover versions and all round frovility.

He never disappoints.

He ended with Tom Jones' It's Not Unusual and had 16 girls join him on stage to do silly dancing and to mob him as the song ended. Great fun!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Looks like I'm gonna have one extra ticket for the Bob Mould gig at the City Winery in NY on Jan. 23, a Saturday. Anyone interested in going?

Also seeing Joe Pernice and John Cunningham on the 15th at the Mercury Lounge.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Joe Pernice show last night was absolutely fantastic. Had a bite at Katz's deli next door before the show (best pastrami on Earth, easily). Then John Cunningham did his set. Really great songwriter from Liverpool - really literate but melodically reminds me a bit of McCartney. Joe and his brother Bob did a song or two with him at the end. Then Pernice came on about 10 minutes later. The gig was advertised as him playing songs and reading excerpts from his new novel, It Feels So Good When I Stop, but in the end he said he just felt like playing songs, so we got treated to about six from his next album, which will be out later this year, as well as a slew of stuff from earlier in his career (much of which I'd never heard him sing live before). His rapport with the audience is fantastic - he's a very funny guy. Partial setlist (not in order)...

Chicken Wire
Prince Valium
Amazing Glow
Judy
I Go To Pieces (Del Shannon cover)
Chevy Van (Sammy Johns cover)
Grudge Fuck
Oklahoma
Newport News (new song)
Man Descending A Nude Descending A Staircase (new song)
Bum Leg

Several other songs from his new album as well, the name of which eludes me at the moment. [edit - Goodbye Killer, so he played that title song as well]

He's doing a few more US dates, then some (rare) UK dates and a few in Spain. If you can make it out to any of these you won't be disappointed...

01/16/10 Philadelphia, PA Tin Angel
01/17/10 Arlington, VA IOTA Club & Cafe
01/26/10 London The Union Chapel
01/27/10 Glasgow Oran Mor
01/28/10 Manchester Academy3
01/29/10 Barcelona Caprichos de Apolo @ La [2] de Apolo
01/30/10 Castellon Tanned Tin Festival

Here's an MP3 of "Chevy Van" from the album of songs he recorded to accompany the novel...

http://popup.lala.com/popup/2017894138138773946

He and his brother had a laugh about how exceedingly creepy the song was - yet it still was a massive hit on 70s AM radio.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Red and Blue will be in town in February and we are all going to see Jonathan Richman at the Music Hall of Williamsburg. Should be fun.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Went to see The Imagined Village at Reading town hall last Friday. This is a nice all seated venue with about 450 seats all sold. I like the Imagined Village records a lot but live they are amazing - some of the nuances are lost on the record but come alive when live. The band consists of ten members in the current guise, and they are mostly all on stage at the same time. The sound is fantastic.
Chris Wood - co lead vocals, occasional viola and acoustic guitar
Martin Carthy - co lead vocals, acoustic guitar
Eliza Carthy - co lead singer and violin
Sheema Mukherjee - Sitar
Andy Gangadeen - Drums
Simon Emmerson - Cittern and guitar
Barney Morse-Brown - Cello
Johnny Kalsi - percussion
Simon Richmond - Keyboards, theramin, electronica
Ali Friend - Double bass
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Booked to see Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings at the Apollo on April 30 - launch party for the new record so it should be good!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Red and Blue will be in town in February and we are all going to see Jonathan Richman at the Music Hall of Williamsburg. Should be fun.
Looking forward to it :)
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

This has become a mini NY ECFF meet up now, as we will be joined by miss buenos aires and her boyfriend. Hope to get a few photos.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Had a great time out in Brooklyn last night with BlueChair and Red Shoes, Miss Buenos Aires and her guy Mike. Nice wood-fire pizza at Fornino then we walked over the Music Hall of Williamsburg and grabbed a table in the balcony. Jonathan Richman took his time coming out and it was fairly packed by the time he and Tommy, his longtime drummer with the bed-head, hit the stage. I'd never been to one of his shows and didn't really know what to expect, but he is so charming and goofy and downright absurd that you really can't help but get swept up in the fun. What I remember of the setlist included:

My Baby Love Love Loves Me
Because Her Beauty is Raw and Wild
You Can Have a Cell Phone That's Okay But Not Me
No One Was Like Vermeer
Pablo Picasso
Celestial
Old World
Cosi Veloce
When We Refuse to Suffer
Es Como El Pan
Springtime in New York
He Gave Us the Wine to Taste It
I Was Dancing in The Lesbian Bar
No One Plays Guitar Like Keith Richards (a new song, I think)

I'm probably missing a few and there were a few moments where he was just riffing and making stuff up. Tons of fun.

Couple of photos - sorry for the lousy quality and lighting. Miss BA may have one of all of us - not sure how that turned out...

Here's a bit of video someone shot...

ice nine

Post by ice nine »

The Low Anthem began their tour last night here in Pgh. It was a great show. The four members of the band switched back and forth between their instruments. The bass player would take to the drums, the clarinet player would go either to the guitar or the drums, the keyboard player would go to the saw, etc. You gotta like a band with a saw. After the concert is done he can go cut wood. I didn't own the CD, but I do know.
I recommend seeing this show. They are playing SXSW in a few weeks
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Wilco last night at the Durham Performing Arts Center. Unbelievably great. For my money, the best live act on the planet right now. Setlist:

Wilco (The Song), Bull Black Nova, You Are My Face, I Am Trying to Break Your Heart, At Least That's What You Said, Deeper Down, Handshake Drugs, Side with the Seeds, She's a Jar, I'll Fight, Impossible Germany, Summerteeth, California Stars, Poor Place, Spiders (Kidsmoke)*, Forget the Flowers*, When the Roses Bloom Again*, War on War*, When You Wake Up Feeling Old*, Laminated Cat*, Passenger Side*, Airline to Heaven, A Shot in the Arm, Hate It Here, Heavy Metal Drummer, You Never Know, Jesus, Etc., Walken, I'm the Man Who Loves You, Thank You, Friends^, Via Chicago, Hoodoo Voodoo, I'm a Wheel

Notes: * Acoustic, ^ Big Star Cover
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

pophead2k wrote:Wilco last night at the Durham Performing Arts Center. Unbelievably great. For my money, the best live act on the planet right now. Setlist:

Wilco (The Song), Bull Black Nova, You Are My Face, I Am Trying to Break Your Heart, At Least That's What You Said, Deeper Down, Handshake Drugs, Side with the Seeds, She's a Jar, I'll Fight, Impossible Germany, Summerteeth, California Stars, Poor Place, Spiders (Kidsmoke)*, Forget the Flowers*, When the Roses Bloom Again*, War on War*, When You Wake Up Feeling Old*, Laminated Cat*, Passenger Side*, Airline to Heaven, A Shot in the Arm, Hate It Here, Heavy Metal Drummer, You Never Know, Jesus, Etc., Walken, I'm the Man Who Loves You, Thank You, Friends^, Via Chicago, Hoodoo Voodoo, I'm a Wheel

They are out-of-this-world good live. :D :D
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Going to see Vampire Weekend in September at Radio City Music Hall. Not sure about summer concert plans yet.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Joh Hiatt and the Combo next Sunday night.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Crazy weekend. Saw Sharon Jones & the Daptones at the Apollo on Friday night - the launch party for their new record, I Learned the Hard Way. Jaw-droppingly great show. I don't think I've ever seen a performer pour him/herself into the music the way Sharon Jones does. Just an incredible force of nature. Her voice is incredible, the vibe is so unbelievably positive and her band is incredibly tight. Unforgettable evening. If you ever have a chance to see these guys, don't miss it!
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Sonny Landreth @Rock 'n Bowl in NO
Irma Thomas @The Precinct in NO. Irma dedicated "At Last' to a couple on their honeymoon
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Kris Krisitofferson @Three Rivers Arts Festival

I guess all big cities have one major festival during the summer months and this is ours. One or two big artists always plays the festival. This year The Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Patty Griffin, and Kris came. I only saw Kris and it was a great show. He came out dressed all in black and sounded like Johnny Cash did on his last few albums, but he put on a great show. He played for an hour and a half.
- M. Twain
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

My eldest daughter just called very excited as she is going to see She & Him tonight in Boston at the House of Blues- am sorely tempted to try and catch them this weekend as they do a free concert on Governor's Island on the 4th.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Nice weekend for taking in Jazz- two shows that were enjoyable- the first my brother -in -law, Joe Cohn, with a trio up at Painters in Cornwall -on-Hudson-great two sets with highlights being the old war horses "Polka Dots and Moonbeams" and "They Can't Take That Away from Me" as a nod to Hank Jones. Speaking of the late Mr. Jones, a great tribute to him at Smoke which featured the incomparable Frank Wess, one of the few remaining giants left from Mr. Jones's era.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I happened to be in Cleveland this past Sunday, preparing to visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and I walked past the House of Blues only to discover Squeeze and Cheap Trick were playing that night. It was a wonderful show from both acts (75 min. sets each) although I missed Bun E Carlos on drums as he has some sort of back problem. Squeeze sounded and looked terrific, although it is really Difford and Tillbrook with Tillbrook's touring band.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
pophead2k wrote:Wilco last night at the Durham Performing Arts Center. Unbelievably great. For my money, the best live act on the planet right now. Setlist:

They are out-of-this-world good live. :D :D
I can now concur. I'd been hoping to see them for a while as I've grown and grown as a fan, cemented by enjoyment of Wilco (The Album), though I can't understand why anyone thought Sky Blue Sky was anything other than superb too. I just happened to see they were playing the Royal Festival Hall this week via Phil(ip) Selway's (as in Radiohead drummer) site. He has a solo LP out and I'd read with interest that he doesn't drum, but instead got Wilco's Glenn Kotche on board, as well as their guitarist/keyboardist, Pat Sansone. Kotche is a fascinating character, at least for someone who like me plays drums. Incredibly inventive as well as technically breathtaking. I like the way he combines Wilco with his own composing and jazz work. I've seen lots of very good drummers in my time, but he wins hands down in terms of innovation, ability and sheer watchability.
http://glennkotche.com/

Selway was supporting. Nice, somewhat pastoral, gentle stuff. LP called 'Familial', and the songs sound like they're in that area of focus. Reminded me of Eno a bit in terms of his posh English, not technically great but pleasantly listenable voice. He was very appreciative of the audience, and somewhat awkward about being front of stage. Of course he wouldn't be so easily were it not for his CV.
http://www.philipselway.com/

Wilco- wow! From the opening Wilco (The Song) I was blown away. I love the way they went all out on the big noise front. My ears were ringing over 24 hours later. I think no-one can equal them for rivetting and beautiful guitar sounds, they're just sublime. Bull Black Nova live was just incredible. I guess Nels Cline is a lot to do with this, he seems a bit like a guitar equivalent of Glenn Kotche (formidable musician, wired, experimental, great to watch). I could have done with a few gentler numbers at times, e.g. the lovely Sky Blue Sky, but they played many if not most of my faves, although the request I'd sent via their site for Nothingsevergonnastandinmyway(again) went unheeded. Excellent setlist to be found here:
http://www.songkick.com/concerts/468038 ... ank-centre

And not content with seeing one of the US's great current acts, tonight I have the good fortune of nipping over to Birmingham to see the incomparable Joanna Newsom at the Symphony Hall (the funny thing about this and the RFH above is that my only previous visits were to see EC & SN).
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more