New Gig Thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
ice nine

Re: New Gig Thread

Post by ice nine »

Sharon Van Etten and her band put on an excellent show here in Pgh. Once she gets a few more albums under her belt she will give Neko a run for her money. Flock Of Dimes opened up for Van Etten. Flock is a side project of Jenn Wasner of Wye Oak fame.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
nicola76

Post by nicola76 »

Got both the Glasgow and Liverpool shows coming up, thereafter Admiral Fallow at Edinbugrh's Queens Hall, Cafe Jacques (former Sensational Alex Harvey Band member features), Ronnie Wood at the Apollo in London and Chris Isaak in Glasgow in October.

A good few months are ahead!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Wreckless Eric & Amy Rigby @ the railway Winchester 14 June yay
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Pair of great shows:

-Squeeze and The English Beat at Roseland Ballroom. Fantastic evening of music, but I felt so oldddd.... Having said that, Glenn and the boys played a bunch of stuff I'd never heard them do, including ancient stuff like "Bang Bang," "Model," "The Knack" and "Revue". Glenn has some strange beard-like thing going on at the moment, but is still a fine singer and guitarist. Chris the model of cool as always. They seemed to be having a great time. Dave Wakeling is basically all that's left of the original English Beat but they put on a hell of a show too.

-Andrew Bird at The Beacon. I'd been meaning to see Bird for the last few years, but the timing was never good. Really unique show - all kinds of pedals being used, guitar and violin loops and whistling. A totally unique performer. Loved his Townes Van Zandt cover - "If I Needed You." Also sang Kermit the Frog's "It's Not Easy Being Green"!!
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
nicola76

Post by nicola76 »

:D Just managed to add Tony Bennett at the Royal Albert Hall on the 1st July to the list of gigs I have to look forward too - really looking forward to it. Last time I saw him play, was in Edinburgh's Princes Street Gardens on the same date 12 years previously when he was supported by Diana Krall.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

It's been a good month gig-wise with cracking largely greatest hits shows by two of my all-time favourite acts, New Order and then of course our Declan. Two I'll remember for a long time.

Now a bit of a chasm awaits. Suspect the fabulous Latitude line-up will go unseen by me. Dexys at the Corn Exchange in Sept, I hope. Maybe Richard Hawley. Ron Sexsmith at the RAH in March...
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

The Lisa Hannigan gig last month at the southbank was fantastic btw a star to be sure, catch her if you can
nicola76

Post by nicola76 »

Chris Difford is bringing his show with Norman Lovett to the Edinburgh Festival. I missed it when they were in Stirling (it clashed with one EC's gigs!) so have went for the preview tickets on the 4th and 5th August at £5 each.

Also, saw a band called Cafe Jacques in Edinburgh on Thursday evening - their bass player was originally in the Sensational Alex Harvey Band - and they were fantastically supported by Edinburgh band Safehouse who just sound better each time I hear them.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

My first Richard Hawley gig last night at the Forum in Kentish Town. Nice venue, good sound and nice mixture of songs. RH played despite having broken his leg last week - he was wheeled onto stage in a whelchair, levered himself onto his seat and stayed there - no wimping out for Mr H!

These are the songs I remember (not in order apart 1st n last) - gig lasted 1:50 including encore.

Standing at the Sky's Edge
Hotel Room
Soldier On
Tonight the Streets are ours
Leave your body behind you
Down in the Woods
Before
Remorse Code
Time Will bring youi winter
She Brings the sunlight
Encore:
Open Up Your Door
The Ocean

Edit: Found this listed might be more accurate

Standing at the Sky's Edge
Don't Stare at the Sun
Hotel Room
Tonight the Streets Are Ours
Lady Solitude
Seek It
Soldier On
Before
Leave Your Body Behind You
Open Up Your Door
Remorse Code
Time Will Bring You Winter
Down in the Woods
Encore:
For Your Lover Give Some Time
The Ocean
Otis Westinghouse

Nice one., Wish I'd seen that. V tempted to go to the London show he's doing in October (I think). Loving the new album, just playing it this evening. Shame Don't Stare at the Sun not included here, a masterpiece (never understand why singers omit standout tracks from their latest this way, maybe he doesn't feel it works live, but hard to see why). Most of my faves are here (Remorse Code, For Your Lover..., Seek It), with the exception of the above and the epic Cole's Corner.

How was Dexy's? You were at the SBE gig, right? Most of it's on you tube. Looks good. Haven't got the album yet, but hope to soon, plus ticket for Cambridge when they open their Sept tour here, precisely 30 (gulp) years to the month since the last time I saw them in sackcloth, dungarees and ashes at Birmingham Hippodrome. they opened with Old, Kevin's voice solo with no lights and I was smitten. Great show.
Otis Westinghouse

Update:new Dexy's album a nice father's day gift and tickets for the Corn Exchange secured. Seated, unfortunately, always prefer standing gigs there, but it will be lovely, I know. Have been watching more of the SBE clips on you tube, and they really are very good indeed.

A little research here reveals it was October 3 1982 I first saw them. Blimey.

All of this brings home to me that Rowland's voice is one of my all-time favourite male ones. His mannerisms used to make me laugh, but the quality of the voice is what gets me now. Beautifully soulful and warm. Similar to Chrissie Hynde in that I could listen to the voice for the sheer comforting pleasure of it, regardless of what else is going on, but the new album is a very creditable return for him/them.

Also, even though I'd more or less lost interest when their last album, 1985's Don't Stand Me Down, came out, at the moment I'm obsessing over 'This Is What's She's Like'. As with much of their stuff, it's part bonkers, part absurd, and a more significant part brilliant genius. 'Well you know how the English upper classes are thick and ignorant', etc.

I love 'Free' off the new album. Probably the standout for me. 'I can't fucking wait to go outside and live my life'. Brilliant.
nicola76

Post by nicola76 »

Managed to see Tony Bennett in Glasgow on Monday evening and it was a magnificent experience. Not the greatest seat in the world as I was in the choir stalls, but I was able to see in detail what the drummer and guitarist were doing (I'm a guitarist of 28 years, so I get a bit geeky about that sort of stuff!), and also get something of a glimpse of what his view is as he looks out to the venue. Versions of Cold Cold Heart and I left My Heart (of course!) were quite emotional, and did make my bottom lip tremble a bit! The last song of the evening was Fly me to the Moon which was sung without microphone to the audience. Awesome performance from the 85 yr old.

After the show, there was a large crowd waiting to see him go to his car - maybe around 150 people or so crowded around the stage door and his Merc! A few managed signatures from him, but I was happy for some more photos. Getting to see him again at the Royal Albert Hall on Sunday evening and it could only be bettered if Elvis decided to join him for a number that night. Great showman.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Managed to catch this the other night at Smalls the late late show "After Hours" My brother in law with Peter Beets were in rare form. If you can catch them, strongly recommend taking in a show.

http://www.smallsjazzclub.com/indexnew. ... lrows=true
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Going to the closing Ceremony gig in Hyde Park this weekend. Blur, The Specials and New Order.

Did a deal with my mate he is treating me to this and I'm treating him to Elvis at the Cliffs Pavillion.
HopeYou'reHappyNow

Post by HopeYou'reHappyNow »

Going to see Grant Lee Buffalo at the HMV (Kentish Town) Forum on Tuesday. I loved their albums in the 90s but didn't get to see them live at the time. Should be a great night. Hopefully.
"But look at yourself
You'll see you're still so young
You haven't earned the weariness
That sounds so jaded on your tongue"
Jack of All Parades

Welcome aboard! I like your signature. I would echo Mr. Foyle's sentiment as stated on the other side of the house- 'taciturn' is a good way to describe the activity. His is sound advice to follow going forward. Anyway, looking forward to your participation as it is encouraging to see you ventured across the aisle.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
HopeYou'reHappyNow

Thank you, "Jack" - nice user name - great song from an excellent album. One of many excellent EC albums! I'll do my best to dip my toe in, here and there, as time permits! I'm full of good intentions...!
"But look at yourself
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Got this lot booked up

19 Sep Martin Carthy & Dave Swarbrick http://www.watersoncarthy.com/id22.htm http://www.folkicons.co.uk/swarbmenu.htm
25 Sep Levellers http://www.levellers.co.uk/
2 Oct State of the Union http://www.stateoftheunionmusic.com/
25 Oct Show of Hands http://www.showofhands.co.uk/
1 Nov Kathryn Williams http://kathrynwilliams.co.uk/
8 Nov Joe Jackson
17 Nov Joan Armat5rading support Chris Wood http://www.chriswoodmusic.co.uk/
27 Nov - June Tabor & the Oysterband http://www.oysterband.co.uk/
Otis Westinghouse

Gigmaniac! Bit more than the two I've got between here and next March. Talking of which, what did you make of Dexy's?

Looking forward to Hyde Park report, Sheep TTS. Musically a lot more exciting than the official ceremony, though I did enjoy Waterloo Sunset, I have to say. Third time this weekend I've heard it: once, beautifully, on the Julian Temple excellent London: the Modern Babylon film on Saturday, once on Desert Island Discs (Craig Brown, recommended), and then from Ray. Sigh.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

MOOT was the Dexy's man not me! I did see them 8/9 years ago but not that impressed, KR's voice range clearly shot to pieces.
Jack of All Parades

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Gigmaniac! Bit more than the two I've got between here and next March. Talking of which, what did you make of Dexy's?

Looking forward to Hyde Park report, Sheep TTS. Musically a lot more exciting than the official ceremony, though I did enjoy Waterloo Sunset, I have to say. Third time this weekend I've heard it: once, beautifully, on the Julian Temple excellent London: the Modern Babylon film on Saturday, once on Desert Island Discs (Craig Brown, recommended), and then from Ray. Sigh.
Boy- was that official closing ceremony a snoor!- the most exciting thing about it was laughing as acts held on for their dear lives as they were perched atop various vehicles being driven across the stage. Hard to believe they thought that was representative of some fifty years of popular British music. I can never get enough of "Waterloo Sunset"- Ray did his song justice. For me the best song with London as its locale.
HopeYou'reHappyNow

so lacklustre wrote:Got this lot booked up

2 Oct State of the Union http://www.stateoftheunionmusic.com/
Boo & Brooks are absolutely spellbinding, live. Such lovely chaps, too. :)
"But look at yourself
Otis Westinghouse

so lacklustre wrote:MOOT was the Dexy's man not me! I did see them 8/9 years ago but not that impressed, KR's voice range clearly shot to pieces.
Ah, my mistake. MOOT, whaddya reckon?

Sounds like his voice has recovered on the excellent new album and on the Later and excellent Shepherd's Bush clips on YouTube.
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

[quote="Otis Westinghouse"]Gigmaniac! Bit more than the two I've got between here and next March. Talking of which, what did you make of Dexy's?

Looking forward to Hyde Park report, Sheep TTS.

Moans about Hyde Park. Security was so tight it took over an hour to get in and that was at 5.15pm therefore I missed all of New Order bar Blue Monday, Temptation and Love Will Tear Us a Part. They sounded quite tight. 1st time Ive seen them. I could see them on the screens whilst queueing up but BT decided to drown them out with their own music.

The bars were far too packed thousands os people trying to get served. Took about 45 minutes and missed the first couple of songs in The Specials set. No Ghost Town surprisingly. But different class as usual worth seeing in a smaller venue if you can.

I am not a Blur fan but they are very good live and at least the bar was empty
Otis Westinghouse

Shame about New Order! Ah well, at least you witnessed three classics. Never seen The Specials, though was a huge fan the moment Gangsters hit the shops. Not a massive Blur fan, but would love to see them live, and in that setting too. At least the weather was good, and it was better than having to sit through much of the closing ceremony!