New Gig Thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

After no finding no gigs worth seeing since January, so far I've tickets to see The Kills, British Sea Power, U2, Aimee Mann, Josh Rouse and The Pixies. It's going to be a good summer.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Doc and I, along with Cosmos from the great radio show Cosmosis :), had front row seats last night at the always excellent Ryman Auditorium for Joe Jackson, Todd Rundgren and a contemporary string quartet called Ethel. What a really great show!

Ethel opened for about 20 minutes (these people were hip, funky and fun), then Joe did a set, solo on the piano, then Todd did a set, and then a combination at the end of the show which culminated with a version of My Guitar Gently Weeps. The string quartet added a fabulous dimension to their tribute. Just an amazing show.

pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I'm seeing the Decemberists for just 11 bucks tomorrow night - thanks to the board for turning me on to this great band.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Gang Of Four on Monday-- yessssssss!
LittleFoole

Post by LittleFoole »

Have convinced Mrs. Foole to maybe go see John Hiatt here in Knoxville in June (hoping tix are still available......) We shall see.....
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

OK, the Decemberists were great. I expected them to be arty and pretentious on stage, but they were really down to earth and cool. Except that they were really hot, as it has taken the summer turn here in New Orleans. The violinist sang Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights which I thought didnt' work too well, but otherwise a great set. See 'em if you can!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Rufus Wainwright - well worth it. He's a good performer, sings his little heart out, good 6 piece band, and the encore is the campest thing ever. Check out the later photos on this thread:

http://bb.dreamworksrecords.com/rufuswa ... ed&sb=5&o=

I only know Want One, and that not well, but he played most of my faves off that. the covers were a lovely Hallelujah and also Across The Universe, back to back.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Just bought tickets for the Buzzcocks next Saturday at the Univ of Surrey in Guildford (I hope it's easy to find) - Four opening bands including the Selector and a Jam tribute band called the Jamm - should be a weird night - wish I didn't have to drive....do they even serve booze at University gigs here?
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Otis Westinghouse

Lucky you. Buzzcocks are great to see live, you've never seen anyone happier than Steve Diggle on stage. Will the Selecter have Pauline Black, I wonder? Jam tribute band could get a bit sad. University gigs certainly do have lots of cheap beer in plastic cups. I'm sure that hasn't changed.
verena

Buzzcocks

Post by verena »

What a name these guys chose for themselves... Of course you guys go for it. Spring fever, I guess. Oh well...

V
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Gang Of Four kicked major ass last night-- they played stuff from the first two records (e.g., no I Love A Man In A Uniform) and were just on fire. They played all the stuff we wanted-- Damaged Goods, Essence Rare, Anthrax, Poverty, etc.-- and it was just a sweat-drenched post-punk lovefest, with Jon King being totally mental all the. There was a perfectly self-conscious bit with King keeping violent rhythm on an air conditioner... with a baseball bat. It culminated in him dragging it just off stage and giving it its final blows to put it out of its misery in a very hilarious way.

I am SO glad I caught them. This was their first full reunion. The crowd was fabulous. The lead guy from Mission of Burma (name escapes me at the moment) was about four sets of shoulders over from me.

They mentioned having played at The Rat (universal name for the famed for the late great Kenmore Square dive The Rathskeller) back in the day-- just the sort of gig BWAP might have attended, for which reason he is about the coolest person on this board.
Otis Westinghouse

Sounds fantastic. Damn I wish I'd seen them on tour here.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Just got back from Antony & The Johnsons.

I feel blessed. (Then again, I'm very drunk. I wish I won't have to work tomorrow...)

In addition to his best songs (Hope There's Someone, Cripple & The Starfish, I Fell In Love With A Dead Boy...) this would-be gay love child of Nina Simone & Little Jimmy Scott played some great covers, like Nina's Be My Husband, Lou's Candy Says, and especially an unsuspected definitive version of Leonard's the Guests. And then some Moondog...

Surprisingly, all his Swedish gigs were apparently sold out. While Elvis in Gothenburg was cancelled due to low ticket sales. Fair enough, even without Hitler In My Heart & The Atrocities.

Everyone should go.
What this world needs is more silly men.
Otis Westinghouse

Like his part on Old Whore's Diet. He looks like Matt Lucas from Little Britain and almost sounds like one of his characters.

John Martyn was excellent, though sadly no encore. And no Solid Air, nor the unbeatable Sweet Little Mystery. But he did a cracking solo acoustic section involving May You Never that made the whole evening worthwhile. Very good band, lovely textures and arrangements, and the voice is still great. His mumblings between songs are 90% unintelligible. He looks incredibly big ion flowing robes, and with prosthetic leg and hige walking staff. Needless to say, he sits throughout, like an ageing Delta bluesman. h
He's an incredible guitarist, you should see those fingers fly. Need to buy more of his LPs...
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

If that John Martyn gig was in London the night before you posted, Otis, it's up on http://www.dimeadozen.org now.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Going to see Fischerspooner tonight; I'm not crazy about the music, but I hear the put on a fierce live show.
Otis Westinghouse

King Hoarse wrote:If that John Martyn gig was in London the night before you posted, Otis, it's up on http://www.dimeadozen.org now.
No, it was in my very own town of Cambridge. Thanks for the tip, am downloading now, but whether I'll be able to listen is another matter! I've tried with a couple of Costello things, and even though the files are all there, no can listen. They're 'flac' files, which my Mac can't read (as things stand, anyway). Hoping this one will!
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Then this is the link for you, Otis!

http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html

This is where you can download the FLAC frontend which means you can decode the flac-streams. Works for Mac too.
Boy With A Problem

Selfmade Mug wrote -
They mentioned having played at The Rat (universal name for the famed for the late great Kenmore Square dive The Rathskeller) back in the day-- just the sort of gig BWAP might have attended
I regret not going to see them in London this winter; debated with myself extensively and then made the wrong decision. I did see them a couple of times "back in the day" - at the Channel with Mission of Burma and Pylon (Entertainment tour) - underage with fake i.d.s and i saw them again on the Solid Gold tour with Someone and the Somebodies at the Bradford Hotel (I think it's the Roxy now).
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

See, I knew it!
Otis Westinghouse

Are those places as cool as The Rat?

Thanks King. I spent a long time grappling with sundry downloads of that site - I don't think MacFLAC did it for me at first, or maybe it was my inept application of the application, but I downloaded it successfully from somewhere and before you knew it was back in the Royal Festival Hall in October 2003 with Accidents Will Happen...

Only thing is, this converts stuff to AIFF files, which I can play in Quick Time. Sounds OK, but isn't FLAC proper a better format? If so, shame I can't play it straight.
Boy With A Problem

Otis wrote:
Lucky you. Buzzcocks are great to see live, you've never seen anyone happier than Steve Diggle on stage. Will the Selecter have Pauline Black, I wonder? Jam tribute band could get a bit sad. University gigs certainly do have lots of cheap beer in plastic cups. I'm sure that hasn't changed.

You were right on all counts - Pete Shelley was just about as happy as Steve. No challenges in the set - they played one song that was released after 1979 all night - all the big hits - and we got Promises in the encore.

Pauline Black was indeed fronting the Selecter and you realize about 2 minutes in that Gwen Stefani has stolen her act. Pauline looks and sounds amazing.

Lots of cheap beer in plastic cups - as well a cheap beer in bottles. Great atmosphere, smallish crowd and a great dj playing Northern Soul and 60's Mod records - he had the crowd non-stop dancing between sets. Great time.
Otis Westinghouse

Sounds like a great evening! Fun for the students, and timewarp for the over-40s! Good old Pauline. I wanted to marry her. She;s been doing acting and stuff, I think. I'd forgotten Promises existed until I saw the 'Cocks in London. highlight of the evening. Sadly it was omitted in Cambridge. 'Oh how could you ever let me go?' is one of those classic moments that sums up just why they are/were one of the best.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Saw 'Eels With Strings' last night, excellent concert. He had an all female string quartet with a double bass thrown in on some songs. Electric guitar only on a couple of songs. E and the the other two guys were switching between instruments, including acoustic guitar, upright piano, some sort of electric piano, another keyboard thing, a synth thing, an electric drum kit, an electric xylophone thing, a melodica, plus more I can't remember. The SQ switched to percussion on a couple of tracks too. Oh yeah forgot the saw and dustbin lid!!
Mostly played stuff from the new album but mixed in about 5 or 6 older tracks. The man was on good form and the whole thing just flowed beautifully.
Catch it if you can.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:Saw 'Eels With Strings' last night, excellent concert. He had an all female string quartet with a double bass thrown in on some songs. Electric guitar only on a couple of songs. E and the the other two guys were switching between instruments, including acoustic guitar, upright piano, some sort of electric piano, another keyboard thing, a synth thing, an electric drum kit, an electric xylophone thing, a melodica, plus more I can't remember. The SQ switched to percussion on a couple of tracks too. Oh yeah forgot the saw and dustbin lid!!
Mostly played stuff from the new album but mixed in about 5 or 6 older tracks. The man was on good form and the whole thing just flowed beautifully.
Catch it if you can.
Just bought my tix for the June 30 NY show at Town Hall. Any other NY-area posters attending this show?
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick