New Gig Thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
verbal gymnastics

Re: New Gig Thread

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I went to see Larkin Poe last night with my favourite vegetarian Welshman, Neil., at a pub called the Slaughtered Lamb.

What a fabulous evening.

They played to about 100 people and were clearly enjoying themselves. Rebecca and Megan were particularly pleased as their dad had flown in whilst Chad, the drummer, was pleased that his wife had flown in that afternoon.

I managed to have a good chat with them before and after the show and bought the box set which I look forward to listening to.

They did a few unusual covers - a song by Massive Attack, a Jimi Hendrix one and Blame it on Cain by EC.

Rebecca started telling a story about how this was their longest tour - 5 weeks - and played with some cool people. The coolest was Elvis and she told of how Elvis emailed her (signing off as EC) asking them to play whatever song they wanted. Naturally I thought they'd do I Turn Around but they played Blame it on Cain instead. And whilst this introduction was going on, Neil. was in the toilet :lol:

Sulky lad has already extolled the guitarist who plays his guitar like a bass.

Great sound, great fun, great musicians - one of the best gigs of the year for me.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Sounds like a good time VG - I hope you gave the girls my best!
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
verbal gymnastics

What - and spoil my chances? You must be joking :lol:

Actually their drummer Chad was very pleased to see me and remembered us meeting him in Amsterdam. He even mentioned it to Rebecca who pointed out that I'd already told her.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Moonlighting from the RHCPs?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

A bit late on this one, but I was in LA two weeks ago and attended a tribute concert to Bob Mould at the magnificent Disney Hall. What a fantastic night. Lots of old Hüsker Dü and Sugar material. Appearances by Gave Grohl, Ryan Adams and Britt Daniel of Spoon,among others. Highlights for me were Ryan Adams mini acoustic set of "Heartbreak a Stranger" and "Black Sheets of Rain" - absolutely stunning versions of those two tunes. Grohl played guitar on a blistering group of Hüsker songs and then jumped behind the drums for a scorching "New Day Rising," which nearly blew the roof off the place.

Here's Adams doing "Heartbreak a Stranger":

Grohl and Mould (scroll forward to 4:00 for "New Day Rising"):

Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

2012 is looking to be a great year for live music and a terrible one for my bank balance.

I already have tix to see

NICK LOWE at the Sydney Opera House
ROGER DALTREY at the Enmore Theatre (best venue in Australia)
FLORENCE + THE MACHINE at the Sydney Entertainment Centre
JOHN HIATT at the Metro Theatre
And that's just March and April!
Shankly

Post by Shankly »

Christmas with Kate Rusby last night at Liverpool Phil. Very nice festive evening from Kate and her band, with added brass.
Otis Westinghouse

Lovely stuff. Saw the same sort of show two years back, perfect. New album has been well reviewed.

I was at the Barbican last night having my mind blown by the sheer brilliance of Colin Davis conducting the LSO with Mitsuko Uchida on piano playing Beethoven's 5th piano concerto. I'm not sure I've ever heard anything so wonderful before. The whole thing was subklime, but the second movement (as in Piano at Hanging Rock) was pretty much to die for. I just thought (classical) music doesn't get any better than this. There was also Haydn's 93rd and Nielsen's 3rd symphonies. The latter was superb, Davis clearly loves Nielsen, as does my similarly aged (81) father, who was with me for this event.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Got tickets to see Andrew Bird at the Beacon in May. Wanted to see Pulp at Radio City but it sold out in 5 minutes. Ticket brokers suck.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
verbal gymnastics

I saw Big Country at Shepherds Bush Empire on Saturday night. Checked shirts ahoy!

It's also good to see that Bruce Watson's hair hasn't changed since 1982!

Mike Peters does an excellent job as a replacement for Stuart Adamson. He probably doesn't remember Big Country playing the Lyceum in 1983 as support to his band, The Alarm, when most of the audience left after Big country's set. By the time The Alarm came on there were about 100 people!

It was a good gig. The only thing that irritates me is when people feel the need to start talking about "this incredible journey we're on" and all that nonsense. :roll:
Otis Westinghouse

Slightly mixed feelings about New Order without Hooky, couldn't the contrary buggers have patched it up some way, but couldn't resist getting a ticket for the second night of their May Brixton outing. Can't wait. Recent Mojo review of their late 2011 London show had me salivating, even if that was someone else being Hooky on Age of Consent, etc.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Otis, go backstage and tell Barney there's a 14-year-old kid in Poland just dying to see New Order.

Have you bought a ticket to Lloyd Cole's show in Cambridge?
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Otis Westinghouse

Maybe they'll tour everywhere inc Poland?

Was going to get Lloyd tickets, but apparently they've sold out. They didn't at all or anything like as quickly the three times previously when I've seen him do his solo show there, so that's a good sign. Just as well I didn't get a ticket as I may be in Spain that day anyway. Enjoyed seeing him so much at the Union Chapel Islington with the other two guys he was touring with, I don't think solo at the Junction can compare. Apparently he hates the loudness of a band and out of control drummers these days, but I would seriously love to see him tour with a good backing band.

To be honest, I'm so excited about finally seeing Lambchop, missing Lloyd isn't too big a concern, even if it is in my hometown. May with first NO then later EC is pretty damn exciting too.
redsfan720

Post by redsfan720 »

I can't contain my childish excitement:

I just bought tickets to see Weird Al for my first time. The show is May 6.
Otis Westinghouse

Lambchop at the Barbican. Lovely to see them at last, a fairly stripped back line-up - only 7 of them. Sadly no William Tyler, the very special guitarist who makes his own instrumental albums, and brings a touch to all their albums of the last 10 or so years and the live stuff I've seen that adds something very special. That said, the band were fantastic. Cortney Tidwell did a solo turn without Kurt on stage but the rest of the band backing. Only one I recognised from Kort, others must be from her own albums. all quite dreamy and ethereal, but she has a great voice. Enjoyed her. Lambchop opened with the song they normally do as a wild (by their very restrained standards) encore, Give It (recorded by Kurt with UK electronica dance duo X Press 2), but an incredibly stripped back, slow and almost unrecognisable version. Nice. They then played all of the excellent Mr M bar the duller of the two instrumentals, Gar, and then a few old faves (My Blue Wave, The Man Who Loved Beer, Cowboy on the Moon...) and finished with a lovely rendition of the Dylan classic, also known to us from Kojak Variety, I Threw It All Away. Second row seat, stage right, about 15 feet from where Kurt sat. Wonderful.

They must be pretty much the slowest bands in the world (someone said their music is from a world that runs at half speed) and one of the most restrained in sound, yet there's always loads going on, beautiful details (excellent drummer, real master with the brushes). All the songs sounded great, and I could really appreciate the new ones hearing them live this way (although the lack of strings on Mr M and elsewhere left a bit of a gap). Fair dues to them for playing new stuff, but they're different to other bands who would tend, after 11 albums, to play a selection of older classics, built up as live faves over the years. There was nothing from the golden years between Mr M and Is A Woman, so therefore nothing from my out and out fave OH (Ohio). They could really have done with a bit more pace in places, and something like Sharing a Gibson With Martin Luther King Jr would have been perfect.

I don't think anyone here other than IP has ever shown any real interest in Lambchop, but, hey American buddies, for me they're easily in the top 5 best US bands of the last 20 years. They're very individual, perverse at times, but all their albums reveal more as you explore more. Probably the subtlest band I've ever heard.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

"Slowest" is a good way to describe the sound. Thanks to you I have been treating my ears on Spotify to their catalog. That subtle melange of sound and dynamics has been growing on me. More and more these days I am drawn to a more restrained sound that emphasises harmony and drawn out sounds. This band has plenty of that. You have also directed me in the past to their country side with Kort-which I greatly enjoy. I cannot totally warm to his voice but do like that of the young woman-Ms Tidwell. I have little patience for loud, abrassive, and raucus playing with no care given to real playing and harmonic development within a given piece. Maybe too much time spent listening to Schubert Sonatas these days with their delicate dynamics courtesy of Ms Uchida.

You have pointed me in a new direction for my listening- yet again. They have not cracked my main listening habits but they have earned a space on Spotify with a station.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Otis Westinghouse

Nice one. Sounds like you're well placed to develop a profound love for them!

Here's that Dylan cover. Great stuff.

Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Splendid cover- thank you for sharing. That faint pedal steel and his halting vocal delivery catch the ache that always existed in that song for me. Most touching and again applaud the understatement!
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Saw the band Fanfarlo do a couple of songs at my favorite public operated radio station. They were very good. Next week I am looking forward to seeing/hearing Anoushka Shankar. I am not familiar with Indian(?) music so it will be eye-opening
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Maybe they'll tour everywhere inc Poland?
New Order will play the biggest Polish festival - Open'er Festival in Gdynia - on 4th of July.
My son went nuts with joy when we heard the news yesterday. :D
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
verbal gymnastics

I went to the Evening with Roger Daltrey, Paul Weller and Kelly Jones and special guests gig for the Teenage Cancer Trust last night.

It was superb - the main guests were Ronnie Wood, Steve Winwood and Amy McDonald.

Roger Daltrey sang mainly Who songs ( :D ); Paul Weller was good but a little disappointing. There was a superfluous female string quartet and he had about 5 other people on stage for an acoustic set; Kelly Jones was excellent.

It was a shame that there wasn't some sort of finale though. I'd loved to have seen them all on stage together.

My brother also saw Jimmy Page there. I'd love to have seen him get up and play!
Otis Westinghouse

invisible Pole wrote:New Order will play the biggest Polish festival - Open'er Festival in Gdynia - on 4th of July.
My son went nuts with joy when we heard the news yesterday. :D
Nice one.

Should be a great event.

Anyone ever bought a ticket 12 months in advance before? Can't believe I know where I'm going March 7 2013. Ron S at the RAH! First time there since Brutal Youth in 1994!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Got tickets for
Laura Marling
Richard Hawley
Lisa Hannigan
Joan Armatrading/Chris Wood
Imagined Village
signed with love and vicious kisses
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

This year's gig going so far:

Ting Tings at The Scala, in February;
Nick Lowe at the Leicester Square Theatre last month with John Foyle, The Roofdog and Verbal Gymnastics;
Dexys in Shepherd's Bush next month;
Buzzcocks in Brixton next month;
EC and The Imposters all over the UK next month;
EC in Eindhoven in June.

MOOT
Otis Westinghouse

New Richard Hawley LP gets a rave Maconie review in latest Word. Second masterpiece in a row, and very different in style to others (northern psychedelia). Not sure if I'd go quite as far as 'masterpiece' for Truelove's Gutter, thought there are three or four songs that merit that. Just listened to it again to get in the mood. My favourite song of his, though, remains 'Cole's Corner'.

Didn't know Dexy's were touring again. New album too. Lots of the originals, inc. Kevin, of course (couldn't be DMRs without him), and Big Jimmy:

http://louderthanwar.com/new-dexys-midn ... a-preview/

Only three dates, with London sold out, too bad. Saw them touring Too Rye Ay in Birmingham Sept 1982. This made me turn to solo Rowland effort The Wanderer and this great song, 'Young Man'. When Kevin hits the high notes, it reminds you what a great voice he has (present tense OK here, judging by clip at all). Like the lyric too.

http://www.nme.com/musicvideos/kevin-ro ... man/734781