New Gig Thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
sheeptotheslaughter

Re: New Gig Thread

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Looks like I saw them on the wrong night! Sounds wonderful. I know the theatre from TV broadcasts. How long did they play for?

Make sure you get the deluxe ed of their debut CD with the Sun Giant EP included, from which comes live favourite Mykonos and also from their current set Drops in the RIver. Al of £5.29 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fleet-Foxes/dp/ ... 750&sr=1-4
I will look out for that.

They played around 90 minutes. They started at 8 and we were out around 9.30. Almost the first gig i have ever been to where I left in the daylight. Mykonsos and a few others from the first album I knew already from radio 2 playing them at the time. I took my 15 year old daughter with me and she thought they were great as well.

The strangest part was a young american woman stopped the show to see if she could ask a question and they let her. They wouldnt play her request for 'Dreams' though
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Saw a great intimate show by Stacey Earle and husband, Mark Stuart. Stacey is Steve's sister. She has an angelic voice and reminded me of Nanci Griffith. Mark is a great guitarist. They both told tales of starting out and being artists in Nashville.

http://www.staceyandmark.com/
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Otis Westinghouse

I see what you mean, she is Nanci-esque. Nice sound.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Elbow coming here in September but I'm not sure I can make it.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Worth making a very special effort for!

Here's an out of the ordinary Unplugged-type recent thing of theirs recorded, remarkably (a rock band first) in the crypt of St Paul's Church. The setlist is close to perfection, and there are some very different versions here, e.g. of the lovely 'Open Arms'.

http://www.absoluteradio.co.uk/player/E ... edral.html

Saw a great docu about them last night, where they were rehearsing for their arena tour set up on an arena stage, intercut with interviews, and a bit of real concert footage. Garvey went through the list of his four bandmates identifying what made each of them unique and wonderful. He's so genuine and seemed so proud of them.

$38.75 ticket price on Ticketmaster to see them at Terminal 5 NYC (3,000 capacity - nice) on Sept 25. Would love to be there!
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Thank you for the head's up. I will definitely seek this one out for a nice early Fall show.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Wye Oak

This band, composed of Jenn Wasner and Andy Stack, was very good and loud. I should have taken ear plugs with me. Jenn played the electric guitar with alot of distortion and handled all the vocals. Andy played the drums with one hand and keyboards with the other. The sold out crowd (app 200) was enthusiast and enjoyed the indie band. I recommend seeing them if they come to your city. Take the earplugs.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I've had a very productive last couple of weeks...

The Jamm - great stuff!
Hard-Fi (superb!)
Ed Byrne - hilarious!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

The Jamm?

I thought they split upp.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
verbal gymnastics

They're now From The Jamm :lol:

Chatting to the lead singer, he was asked to help out some friends from a band called The Modfathers and it went from there.

They are now a 4 piece and well with seeing.
Shankly

Post by Shankly »

Dave Swarbrick & Martin Carthy last night at Liverpool Phil - great concert. Both of them are 70 this year. Swarb has announced his retirement in 2013. He'll be a great loss to the music world. Still, he's one of the few people to have read his own obituary!

http://www.alexlyons.co.uk/atrax/swarb_ ... ituary.htm

Supporting them were Lau, who are well worth seeing - Prog-Folk I'd describe them as.
Otis Westinghouse

I'm going to Paris next week and was having a look at what gigs are on the one night I'm there, and bizarrely found refs to New Order playing there the following week. New Order? They split up forever! Turns out it's without Hooky. There's very little info to be found anywhere about it, but wikipedia confirms:

"On 5 September 2011, the band announced that they would perform for the first time since 2006, but without Hook, at the Ancienne Belgique, Brussels on 17 October and at the Bataclan, Paris on 18 October"

Dammit if only my trip were the following week. So Bernard wants to continue under the NO name but no Hooky? Seems very sad. They're benefits for video producer Michael Shamberg. First time in ages Gillian's performed:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/news/201109 ... rder.shtml
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

I heard the news about a month ago. They’re playing two charity concerts – one in Paris, one in Brussels. More here :
http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2011/0 ... -brussels/

Hooky’s immediate response was that New Order without Peter Hook is like Queen without Freddie Mercury. :lol:
In his latest interview, he calls the rest of the band “dickheads” and threatens he will “come out fighting”.
http://www.spinner.com/2011/10/06/peter ... new-order/

Anyway, the news excited my 13-year-old son who’s a big New Order fan :D , and would love to see them live. Paris and Brussels are out of my financial reach this year, but if they tour Europe next year then who knows…

Although yes, New Order without Hooky’s bass and persona sounds like a strange idea.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
verbal gymnastics

The Kooks at Brixton Academy.

Enjoyable but marred by an extremely drunk young guy who thought he could dance.

The thing was, people moving away just gave him more room to annoy people.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Shankly - I had a ticket to see the Carthy/Swarb show down this way but had to be away for work so mrs solack had to take a friend instead, but they thoroughly enjoyed it. I saw Lau a year or so ago and agree they are pretty good.

I did get to see Eliza Carthy last week - her band are very good, she was on top form and played all the latest album. Show a bit short at about 75 min but there was a support (two Waterson cousins - Marry and Oliver Knight). Atmosphere also a bit lacking but Eliza abd band on top form.

This Saturday off to see Laura Marling at Winchester Cathedral of all places. A fantastic place to see a gig, and am really looking forward to what set up she has (mrs solack is hoping she is going to have a backing choir!).
signed with love and vicious kisses
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Saw a magical concert given by Gillian Welch and David Rawlings. Just these two up on stage, standing side by side. I am not that familiar with the pair, but they did an excellent 'I'll Fly Away'. David is one helluva guitarist. In fact, I found it a bit frustrating that after each small solo that he did the audience clapped showing their appreciation for his talents. He had a small solo in each song. You would figure that after the third song they would have stopped the applause until after the whole song was done.
- M. Twain
Otis Westinghouse

Wilco at the Roundhouse was mesmerising and fantastic. Lovely setlist with 7 or so of the best songs from The Whole Love, opening with 'One Sunday Morning'. My two favourite Wilco guitar fests in 'Impossible Germany' and 'At Least That's What You Said', in which the solo appears to be Tweedy more than Cline, indicating that it's wrong to assign all the out there, amazing solo work to him. Lots of YHF songs. My request of 'I'll Fight' via wilcoworld was met (though no dedications, but it was for my wife, who was with me, and like the song says 'I'll kill for you...', and I've just read that someone else requested the same song as his wife has just come through surgery and it's her favourite Wilco song). They were dark, beautiful and very powerful. I think the only equivalent experiences of a band where each individual is so impressive in their own right but where the collective sound manages to be significantly more than the sum of these parts would be EC & the Is (or of course As back in the day), and possibly Radiohead.

Here's a nice clip of 'Pot Kettle BLack' with good sound (even if it's mislabelled:

And here's 'War on War', which was also played and is a real fave, but this one's from Glasgow. Recommended for close studying of their stage set-up, Glenn Kotche's amazing power and precision on the drums, the sound man crouching behind, their pedals, etc.:

And for all you Nick Lowe lovers, get this. Second song in the encore was preceded with 'We've been touring all over the US with Nick Lowe as our support, well he's in town and we're proud to invite him to the stage' and out he came and did, not 'I Love My Label' as was done in the US, but 'Cruel to be Kind', and boy did it sound good. Hoping a video clip or better still bootleg will surface. They then ended with 'Heavy Metal Drummer'. Fabulous stuff.

Highly recommend the Roundhouse for its style, looking thoroughly modern whilst retaining its historical look and feel and top notch acoustics. Just a pleasant and not too sterile venue. They sounded so good, and apparently this second night was quite bit better than the first. Only other time there was July 1996 with Elvis in his final months on a stage with Bruce Thomas. I remember the venue being pretty rough-edged then, but really enjoying it. Top memory was 'Black Sails in the Sunset', which I'd never heard before. The setlist shows several entries for 'Daddy Can I Turn This?', which I seem to recall was them just going inexplicably into the opening bars every now and then when they felt the urge:

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 1996-07-27
verbal gymnastics

Cheers Otis. It's always good when a guest comes out, especially one of the calibre of Nick Lowe.

I once went to see Sheryl Crow (a reciprocal gig for someone who came to Elvis with me) which I enjoyed until Eric Clapton came out for the encore. It spoiled the gig for me.

Glad you had a good night at Wilco though.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

That really sounds like it was fun- thank you for sharing the clips and your thoughts. When you catch a great band on a good night it can be very special- as you demonstrate.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Otis Westinghouse

Thanks. Still on a complete high from the experience. Gotta love youtube, a new addition is the whole three-song encore of The Late Greats, Cruel to Be kind and the perennial Heavy Metal Drummer (apparently the setlist had Misunderstood on it, but it was too long for the strict London 11pm curfew so they tore through HMD instead!). Highly recommended, but if you just want Nick, go to 3.00. You can see how Jeff tells him to come to the centre as modest Nick went to Pat Sansone's mic stage right at first. Good sound and nice close up detail, e.g. Jeff smiling away very happy to have Nick there. You can also see in some moments when zoomed out the iron pillars/arches that can be a bit of a drag if you're in the circle vision-wise, even if they look lovely. (Mrs OW kindly swapped seats with me as I just couldn't see Nels Cline properly at first, which is about 20% of the reason for going to see Wilco!

mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Nice. Thanks.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Thanks for this, Otis. Looks like a superb show.
And what a treat to see Nick with Wilco on the same stage!
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

My wife and I saw Nick/Wilco show about a month ago and indeed it was a great show. Since the seats were open, we sneaked our way all the way down to nearly the front row to enjoy Nick's solo opening set and he was in top form. Always a treat to see Nick. Wilco was also very good, but for me, Nick had it all over them.
Shankly

Post by Shankly »

I saw Bellowhead at Birkenhead Pacific Road on Sunday night and they were absolutely brilliant. Do make an effort to catch them if they play near you.