New Gig Thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Re: New Gig Thread

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Fleet Foxes in May, then EC less than a week later.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Elbow late March (Villagers as support), Steve Adams ex of The Broken Family Band now as The Singing Adams in early April, Ron Sexsmith late April. Fleet Foxes early June. No bleedin' Elvis!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Recent giggage:

Mark Wells, Jenny Lewis and The Like down, Eddie Vedder, Ben Folds and EC & The Imposters to come.

Florence and the Machine, EC solo (Meltdown), EC & The 'Canes (HRC & Liverpool), McCartney, CSN, Crowded House, The Hives, Pearl Jam, Ben Harper, Richard Thompson, Joe Bonamassa, John Mayer, Old Crow Medicine Show.

Pearl Jam, Ben Harper, Liam Finn, Ben Folds, The Who, Neil Young, Jeff Beck, Jack Ingram, Tim Finn x 3, Rodney Crowell, Ian Moss, Eric Clapton, Old Crow Medicine Show, EC solo.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

If your into funk do yourself a favor and go see Ivan Neville's Dumpstaphunk. I saw them last night and they certainly delivered the goods. Ivan is Aaron's son and Ian Neville, Art's son, is also in the band. The opening band, Orgone, were also nice and funky
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Someone put a Youtube video of the show up. Dumpstaphunk does not have a horn section, but as special guests Natalie and Jennifer, from Trey Anastaio's band, joined in for a few songs. Trey was here the following night. I did not go to that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfaXrT_lwGM
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

Saw Flogging Molly tonight. You can't beat that for a gas.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Just returned from seeing Mr. Sexsmith and his band. His drummer and his tour manager had some trouble getting across the border, but they made it for this show. Sounded great!! Midway through, the band members left the stage and Ron did a solo performance of 'April After All' and than the piano player joined im for an excellent 'Foolproof'. He said that Emmylou Harris recorded one of his songs. I can only assumed the song was 'Hard Bargain' because he played it after he told us. The opening act was Caitlin Rose. Her band was comprised of herself on guitar, a pedal steel player, and another guitarist. She also sounded good.
- M. Twain
Otis Westinghouse

Can't wait to see him in a month.

Yes indeedy re Emmylou:

http://www.ronsexsmith.com/forums/thread/9272.aspx

What a song that is. hope she can do it justice! I imagine she will :wink:
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I went to the Japan disaster benefit at Brixton on Sunday and it was awesome:

The Coral
Graham Coxon
Paul Weller
Kelly Jones (solo)
Primal Scream
Richard Ashcroft (solo) and
Beady Eye.

Paul Weller was superb. It was good to see The Coral and Primal Scream. I was pleasantly surprised at Beady Ete.

I was glad I didn't get standing tickets as it was 4.5 hours.

God that made me feel old (which, of course, I am!).
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Todd Snider and AND AND Elizabeth Cook on April 30 at The Shed. STOKED!!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Just bought two tickets to Arcade Fire show in Warsaw in June.
Two tickets because I'm going with my 15-year-old daughter, who's a huge fan of Arcade Fire. 8)
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Fleet Foxes in May, then EC less than a week later.

I have just won two tickets to see Fleet Foxes on their special Radio 2 in concert performance. At the BBC radio theatre.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

sheeptotheslaughter wrote:

I have just won two tickets to see Fleet Foxes on their special Radio 2 in concert performance. At the BBC radio theatre.
I think you'll love it. Just got back from seeing them - still buzzing.
Harry Worth

Post by Harry Worth »

I've recently seen the reformed Monochrome Set, well worth it!
Just bought tickets to see Roddy Frame (with a band) later this year.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Itzhak Perlman with the Pgh Symphony Orchestra. He played the violin in a piece by Bach and he conducted Tchaikovsky and Mendelson. Beautiful.

Next up: Cowboy Mouth, a band that is popular in New Orleans but not really anywhere else.
- M. Twain
Otis Westinghouse

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
sheeptotheslaughter wrote:

I think you'll love it. Just got back from seeing them - still buzzing.
Which night is the BBC recording? It's airing June 3.

I'm very excited because they've been playing a very fixed setlist this year, a nice mix of 10 from HP, 6 from FF (pretty much all my faves apart from Oliver James) and 2 from SG + Silver Dagger, trad song made famous by Joan Baez (known to me from Dylan Live 1964). All looking great, despite the rather boring fact that they stick to the same list (don't bands want to mix it up a bit more than that, even those two albums into their career?), but now I see on the insane but wonderful setlist.fm that Silver Dagger has been ousted in favour of Oliver James, both when you saw them WSS and on all recent dates:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/fleet-fox ... 3d911.html

I'm hoping it stays this way for Hammersmith this Wednesday as when I saw them at The Junction on their first UK tour, it was probably the highlight. Breathtaking. I'm loving Helplessness Blues and can't wait to see how the new songs come across, especially the spellbinding Montezuma.

Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:I'm very excited because they've been playing a very fixed setlist this year, a nice mix of 10 from HP, 6 from FF (pretty much all my faves apart from Oliver James) and 2 from SG + Silver Dagger, trad song made famous by Joan Baez (known to me from Dylan Live 1964). All looking great, despite the rather boring fact that they stick to the same list (don't bands want to mix it up a bit more than that, even those two albums into their career?), but now I see on the insane but wonderful setlist.fm that Silver Dagger has been ousted in favour of Oliver James, both when you saw them WSS and on all recent dates:

I'm hoping it stays this way for Hammersmith this Wednesday as when I saw them at The Junction on their first UK tour, it was probably the highlight. Breathtaking. I'm loving Helplessness Blues and can't wait to see how the new songs come across, especially the spellbinding Montezuma.
Loving the new album. "Bedouin Dress" and "Lorelai" probably my faves after a few weeks of listening. They did sub out "Silver Dagger" for "Oliver James" when I saw them, but I agree that it would be nice to see them throw in a surprise, or even a cover or two.
Otis Westinghouse

I think the new one is great, but I returned to the debit this weekend after a sizeable gap, and I was just blown away,much as I was in the summer of 2008, going for morning walks in Umbria, Italy, and loving it on the iPod. I just couldn't hear it enough. I think the new one is very rounded and well done, and I like the directness of some of the words, like Montezuma, but so far that is the one song that stands out to me as being up there in the same league as 5 or 6 masterpieces of the debut. the amazing thing is just how rich their setlist is after two albums. I look at it and wonder if Pecknold can keep up this sort of ability for a strong of further albums. The thing that's always amazed me is how they can do something steeped in music of the 60s and 70s, but also harking back to older folk/trad forms, and yet still be so contemporary with it.

The first of their trio of Hammersmith Apollo setlists is absolutely the same as it has been of late. I just can't wait.
Otis Westinghouse

Completely sublime as expected. Their playing and singing is better than ever. Far less banter than when I saw them in the small Junction. Every song comes over perfectly, and the doubly whammy of two of my very favourites of Montezuma straight into He Doesn't Know Why was just jaw-dropping. Only complaint was the amount of trooping in and out and loud chair banging by the herd of morons that unfortunately seemed to make up a large chunk of the audience. Almost impossible to lose yourself in the magnificence of it all with that going on. Was right at the upper back of the Hammersmith Apollo, same as when I first went there and saw Elvis in 2002. Wished I was standing downstairs.

I do think Robin Pecknold is a major talent in all departments.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Completely sublime as expected. Their playing and singing is better than ever. Far less banter than when I saw them in the small Junction. Every song comes over perfectly, and the doubly whammy of two of my very favourites of Montezuma straight into He Doesn't Know Why was just jaw-dropping. Only complaint was the amount of trooping in and out and loud chair banging by the herd of morons that unfortunately seemed to make up a large chunk of the audience. Almost impossible to lose yourself in the magnificence of it all with that going on. Was right at the upper back of the Hammersmith Apollo, same as when I first went there and saw Elvis in 2002. Wished I was standing downstairs.

I do think Robin Pecknold is a major talent in all departments.
Great to hear. Sorry about the morons - major pet peeve of mine as well.
Otis Westinghouse

And Oliver James was magnificent too!
sheeptotheslaughter

[
Which night is the BBC recording? It's airing June 3.

I'm very excited because they've been playing a very fixed setlist this year, a nice mix of 10 from HP, 6 from FF (pretty much all my faves apart from Oliver James) and 2 from SG + Silver Dagger, trad song made famous by Joan Baez (known to me from Dylan Live 1964). All looking great, despite the rather boring fact that they stick to the same list (don't bands want to mix it up a bit more than that, even those two albums into their career?), but now I see on the insane but wonderful setlist.fm that Silver Dagger has been ousted in favour of Oliver James, both when you saw them WSS and on all recent dates:

[/quote]

I'm hoping it's being recorded on June 3rd or I've missed it.
Otis Westinghouse

Oh I see, maybe I got that wrong, as it's unlikely to be a live broadcast. Hang on, that's today! I guess you're there now. Hope it was sublime.

I would have loved to have watched them with a bit of decorum, people sitting in silence for a BBC recording, not stampeding up and down in the relentless pursuit of more beer for their already generally distended guts. I've rarely had such a bad audience experience. Apart from maybe when I first saw Elbow, and they played their most sublime song, Great Expectations, and I was in raptures up in the circle at the lovely Brixton Academy, and this delegation of about 20 Chinese folk decided about half way through this wasn't for them and just left!

Will make sure I'm in a better position next time.
sheeptotheslaughter

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Oh I see, maybe I got that wrong, as it's unlikely to be a live broadcast. Hang on, that's today! I guess you're there now. Hope it was sublime.

I would have loved to have watched them with a bit of decorum, people sitting in silence for a BBC recording, not stampeding up and down in the relentless pursuit of more beer for their already generally distended guts. I've rarely had such a bad audience experience. Apart from maybe when I first saw Elbow, and they played their most sublime song, Great Expectations, and I was in raptures up in the circle at the lovely Brixton Academy, and this delegation of about 20 Chinese folk decided about half way through this wasn't for them and just left!

Will make sure I'm in a better position next time.
I must admit I never got round to buying either Fleet Foxes albums (that will be remedied in the next few days) and didnt really expect to get the tickets.Just thought I take a chance in the competition.
They were superb. It was a really good place to see them around 300 people all seated. From what you say it sounds like you would have loved the venue too.

I can't recommend them highly enough.

It is broadcast next thursday around 8 on Radio 2.
Otis Westinghouse

Looks like I saw them on the wrong night! Sounds wonderful. I know the theatre from TV broadcasts. How long did they play for?

Make sure you get the deluxe ed of their debut CD with the Sun Giant EP included, from which comes live favourite Mykonos and also from their current set Drops in the RIver. Al of £5.29 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fleet-Foxes/dp/ ... 750&sr=1-4