New Gig Thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Boy With A Problem

Re: New Gig Thread

Post by Boy With A Problem »

From The Squeeze?
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Poppet

tix won, but won't be used

Post by Poppet »

i called up the local radio station and had no clue what was being offered.

i have 'will-call' tix for Pat Benatar tomorrow night at Hampton Beach.

not going - too difficult to get there, and for pat benatar? sorry, no.

i'd give the tix away, but they're 'will-call' and require an ID w/ my name and a picture (i suppose of anyone, how would they know) to get the tickets.

oh well.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

http://www.fabchannel.com/elbow_concert/

This is a great taster for me for my Oct 6th appointment with Elbow. Excellent recording from the legendary Paradiso in Amsterdam (where, needless to say, one of the best Joy Division bootlegs came from). Really good website, too.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Just got back from a great trip to Massachusetts, one of the highlights being the Tanglewood Jazz Festival on Saturday night. I was so impressed by Donal Fox's opening set that I actually bought his CD on the spot. Great mix of jazz-meets-classical. The main act was Dianne Reeves, who was also quite wonderful though as the weather was getting quite cold as the night went on, we skipped out a little early.

Great, great music experience at Tanglewood. Highly recommended for those passing through.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

alexv wrote:We have to come up with another reference to the current "squeeze" line-up, folks. Bentley played bass at the show I attended, and also at Blue's, so that means it's not strictly a GT and the F's show. More like an "early Squeeze, minus Carrack, Jools and Gilson". 3 out of 5 ain't bad.
Boy With A Problem wrote:From The Squeeze?
:lol:

Or Sixty Percent Squeeze

Or Squffers.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Sam Phillips - Excellent show
I'm not too famaliar with Sam's music, but I do know she opened with 'I Can't Please You' and her second song was 'Sister Rosetta...' If I had more disposable income I would've bought a CD at the show. I didn't get a chance to talk to Sam after the show, but it was a major thrill to talk to Jay Bellarose as he was breaking down his drum kit.

Next up: Gurf Morlix http://www.gurfmorlix.com
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Glad you were able to catch Sam Phillips. I would definitely recommend her latest CD.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Red and I went to see The Swell Season (Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova from the film Once) at the beautiful Massey Hall last night. Excellent show of surprisingly long length. They opened with Van Morrison's "Into The Mystic" and immediately launched into "Falling Slowly" (the song that won them the Oscar last year) for song #2. Hansard was definitely the dominant force of the night - some of the show's best moments consisted of solo-acoustic performances by him where no one else was even on the stage. The few songs that Irglova sang were great though... two from the Once soundtrack and one brand new song. On some of the songs they were joined by a very talented band consisting of a bassist, second guitarist, drummer and violinist.

Bill Callahan of Smog was the opening act, and though I'd heard and enjoyed some of his stuff on record, his stage presence was pretty disappointing. I can only handle so many slow songs with two or three chords. All in all a great night of music, though.
Otis Westinghouse

'We were born before the wind
Also younger than the sun...'

If you're gonna start a show with a cover, you could do worse.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Boy With A Problem wrote:I see From The Jam are playing there next month, but it's a seated gig....probably too close for me not to go and the wife can drop me off and pick me up enabling me to drink appropriately for the ocassion.
You've got to go BWAP.

And you've got to have a drink else you might have a sober experience like when you saw The Jamm!
Not The Jam have apparently canceled their US tour.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

The Jamm are doing a farewell tour. I wonder what the faux Paul Weller will do when it is all over?
signed with love and vicious kisses
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Eliza Carthy at the Concert Hall in Reading, Berks last Friday. Great gig - plenty of chat, and the music was top notch. Played most of her current album plus a few others.
As well as Eliza on violin and lead vocals (and some sort of miniature electric guitar) there was a cello player, a double bass, keyboardist (mostly accordion) and drummer who also was the main backing vocals.
verbal gymnastics

so lacklustre wrote:The Jamm are doing a farewell tour. I wonder what the faux Paul Weller will do when it is all over?
Form "Not The Style Council" I should think :lol:
Otis Westinghouse

Or maybe 'The Styleless Council' (that's a pun on 'stylus' too, you see - it's the way I tell 'em).
verbal gymnastics

Always leave them wanting more Otis!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

After the Friday seeing the fabulous Eliza we trundled down to Dorset, to the Ancient Technology Centre where I saw my first ever gig in a Neolithic earth-house. The construction is half sunken in the ground and covered in grass and as we approached it jut looked like a small hillock. Step inside and it has tardis qualities, all wood beams with wooden benches circling around central area where a fire of logs was being built. Directly above the central area was large hole for the smoke to escape (there was a mechanism to cover the whole but luckily it was a rain free and pleasant evening). We had been warned to bring cushions for he benches and found a suitable space to settle down. We had stopped en route for a meal, but others, no doubt more accustomed to this sort of thing, had brought picnics of French bread, pate, wine and various items from the M&S deli section. We decided after listening in on several conversations that most of the audience were post hippies. The performers entered, first Hugh Lupton, a storyteller of whom we has heard a fair amount about but had seen before and Chris Wood, an English folk singer with a subtle sense of humour who we had got familiar with over the past 18 months and whose last two albums, Trespassers and The Lark Descending are highly recommended. The evening was called On Common Ground and was about the introduction of enclosures in the nineteenth century -
During the eighteen hundreds the western powers divided large chunks of the world between themselves. The political map of the world is still caught in the straight lines that were drawn across continents, regardless of geographical differences or tribal boundaries. Indigenous peoples were marginalised and denied their ancient territories. At the same time something similar was happening in almost every parish in England. This performance – using story, poetry, music & song - explores the trauma of the enclosures in one such parish: the parish of Helpston, through the sensibility of one person in particular: the poet John Clare.
The John Clare piece was all after the interval, in the first half we were treated to several stories and songs by Hugh and Chris. Hugh Lupton has a very captivating voice and reels off stories and poems without a single falter. Chris Wood is also very engaging and introduced most of his songs with tales of how they came about. The only light was from the now lit fire and a few paraffin lamps scattered about the beams. Chris Wood quipped that he is used to not being able to see the audience’s faces but he usually expects that they can see his face. The first half flew by and we were soon supping complementary mulled apple juice and relieving the backache by giving our legs a good stretch. The second half was the set piece about John Clare and fascinating it was, with Hugh Lupton in his element quoting the poetry of John Clare and recounting various episodes of his life. Chris contributed various backing music and a couple of songs including ‘Mad John’, his song from his last album written about John Clare. The daughter (10year old) was feeling the pace as we had also taken to the gig the night before and with the glow of the fire she drifted into dreamy sleep. Too soon the end was upon us and drifted out into the cool night and followed the fairy lights back to the car park.
Otis Westinghouse

It's the new loved-up post-hippy knit-your-own-beard folkie SLL! Come one, I think it's time for a good old insult directed at someone, me even.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Yes, I prefer the older, angrier so lacklustre. :wink: :lol: Bring on the insults. I'm an easy target.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Saw Gurf Morlix at a house concert last week. The show was great and I'm now a fan. He use to be in Lucinda Williams' band and he's a producer for others in the Austin area. A touching story he told was about a buddy of his. His buddy was a roadie for Lucinda, Grateful Dead, and others and he loved it. When he got the news he was dying he decided to be cremated and go on tour for as long as he could. The Grateful Dead granted his wish and made an amplifier with his ashes. Isn't that great?
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Bon Iver last week. Is it even legal to call it overrated?
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Not if re: Stacks is anything to go by (thanks, WSS).
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

bambooneedle wrote:Not if re: Stacks is anything to go by (thanks, WSS).
Maybe he just doesn't come off well live. Or had a bad night. I do really like the album.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
verbal gymnastics

SoLack - has somebody nicked your password and logged in masquerading as you?

Will the real SoLacklustre please stand up? :lol:

I am going to see The Jamm on Friday night. Best I have a few drinks to loosen up for my infamous dancing...
Otis Westinghouse

All I can say is, if you get the chance to see Elbow, don't miss it. they played my home town tonight:

At last, it happened. Opening night of the tour. Started off fluffing Station Approach and
having to restart. New songs all sound wonderful, crowd drinking in One Day Like This like
the morning sun. Would have liked a few more of my old faves, but Newborn was mind-
blowingly good. Lovely to have the string section enriching the sound and adding new
dimension to many songs, e.g. Fugitive Motel, which also had a new arrangement with
different rhythm (that I'm not sure was entirely successful). They're clearly on a roll after
The Award and it's great to see them at the top of their game. Setlist, though not in
accurate order:

Station Approach (fluffed and restarted)
Bones of You
Leaders of the Free World
Mirrorball
Mexican Standoff
Grounds for Divorce
Powder Blue
Some Riot ('first time played like this' - first time with strings or as full band at gig?)
Fugitive Motel
Great Expectations (heartstopping)
The Loneliness of a Tower Crane Driver (wow!)
Weather To Fly (also a first, with group in huddle ground keyboards for first section, had
to also stop and restart this due to someone in audience being in some sort of trouble)
One Day Like This
------------ -------
Starlings
Newborn
Scattered Black & Whites

Shame they don't play Friend Of Ours too, and also We're Away would be a nice addition. I
was praying they'd play Switching Off, Not A Job or Red, but I can hardly complain.

Corn Exchange has a reputation for bad sound, but this was very good indeed, all really
clear. Guy's singing was better than ever. Band on top form. Superb night out.

Some tasty Elbow rarities here (inc. cover of Black Sabbath's The Wizard!):

http://www.ehibbert.org.uk/extension/Elbow/
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

I'm rather excited, Richard Thompson has announced a new year UK tour of 1000 Years of Popular Music:
http://www.richardthompson-music.com/ca ... asp?id=971
:D
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"