New Gig Thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

so lacklustre wrote:Prince in September
Good tickets? What price?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

All tickets are £31.21 + normal extras. Unable to select seats so won't know where we are until tickets arrive. I ordered within the first couple of minutes of them going on sale so hoping for the best, although the tickets are for Msolack who is the big fan.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

Oh yeah, some significant number in Princeland. Not a bad price. Shouldbe great. Kinda wishing I was going too.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

You also get his new CD chucked in.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
verbal gymnastics

I "won" four tickets to see The Who at Wembley next week.

I received an email from one of the ticket agencies which only required me to email my name and address to them to win four tickets. I received (on our anniversary no less!) a letter in the post with a compliments slip and four tickets.

Should be good!
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

So, I finally find a show I can afford to go to (Fratellis at the Paradise) and they cancel the effing thing. My suspicion is they're going to move it to a larger venue, probably Avalon.

Luckily I immediately bought a ticket to Cat Power (at Avalon) instead-- more expensive but still do-able. Most folks here would argue Cat Power is better anyway, but I new love seeing bands at The Paradise, especially when you get the sense they're on the verge of really taking off.
Otis Westinghouse

Sure, but you will love seeing Cat P hugely! Wish I could.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Cat Pee
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I went and saw Devo last night. An excellent time with lots of people my own age. They wore the suits and played the hits - a sweat drenched, fist pumping, sing a long.

Best moment - as they went into Mongoloid the balding middle aged git next to me says - "Fucking hell...I'm gonna cream my pants!"......it was that kind of night.

Girl U Want, Whip It, Secret Agent Man, Satisfaction, Uncontrollable Urge, Blockhead, Mongoloid, Jocko Homo, Smart Patrol/Mr. DNA, Gates of Steel, Freedom of Choice, Gut Feeling/Slap Your Mammy Down and Beautiful World.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

:D :D

Sounds like a great gig. One of the all-time underrated bands, too often written off as a novelty act.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Saw three concerts in a two week period.

Concert #1: An annual event here in Pittsburgh is The Three Rivers Art Festival. Each night of the weeklong event they have a national music act. Ricki Lee Jones was the most widely known artist this year. She performed songs from her Sermon on Exposition Blvd (which I don't have yet). I still contend the Ms. Jones is the female equivalent of EC.

Concert #2: I went to one of this house parties to see Peter Case. It was a modest sized house. There were twenty people sitting on bar stools, furniture, and folding chairs in the living room. I got an oppurunity to talk to Peter as he was pouring himself a glass of Diet Coke and enjoying a homemade cookie made by the host of the event. I told him about the page we have here about him being obscure and that he had fans here. He was pleased to hear this and he reminisced (to himself) about his touring with EC on the Imperial Bedroom tour. He is a very nice man and he wanted me to pass on his web site: http://www.petercase.com/

Concert #3: Richard Thompson put on a great show. His four piece band was tight and was rocking. 1952 Vincent Black Lightning and his finale of Tear Stained Letter were standouts.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
verbal gymnastics

I saw The Who last night (or The Two as BWAP pointed out to me last week). I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great stage show and great sound.

Well worth the free ticket I won! I'm not sure I would have paid £50 to see them though.

We early 40 year olds were bemoaning the massive increases in ticket prices in the last decade or so. :evil:

And I would have been very aggrieved had I booked when tickets came out originally and paid £65 for a seat and then received an email on Monday two days before the concert (like I did) about "Great seats just released" which were on the tier next to the stage.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Just been on a bit of a spending spree.

Picked up tickets for Crowded House at the NEC in December.....

and...

Squeeze at the Olympia in Dublin, which will cost much more by the time I've paid for the flights, hotel and 2 or 3 nights in Temple Bar 8)
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Best gig news of the year: Lloyd Cole playing Cambridge's Junction on Aug 7. Only just appeared on their listings, and no ref at all on Lloyd's decidedly low-key and intermittently maintained website. Can't find a list of dates anywhere, but do note he's playing Huddersfield 2 nights later and Galway Aug 20. Having missed him at the Soho Theatre on two nights last Oct, I'm gagging to see one of his solo shows, last time being with Doofster in, I guess, summer 2003, and it was excellent. Boo has had the recent pleasure in Sydney.

The great thing is he's playing the tiny Shed, normally rserved for small theatre, comedy or maybe folk events. So it will be sit down and very intimate. I've only ever been to this part of the venue to see my son in his teens theatre group. It's going to be fabulous, and doesn't clash with my holidays or anything.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:I'm gagging to see one of his solo shows, last time being with Doofster in, I guess, summer 2003, and it was excellent.
Christ, was it really that long ago :shock:

Mrs Doofster is up for this and maybe we coould pursuade Mrs Otis to join us and have a bite to eat?
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Maybe it was 2004, when MIAFL came out. He's playing the Glee Club again Sept 25. Info seems pretty scarce on this tour (or scattered dates if there's not much between early Aug and late Sept).

As it's a sit-down event, Mrs Otis (who's under 5 foot 1 in height) is agreeable to coming. PM coming your way.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I can recommend Billy Bragg, he has just announced some dates in the eastern US.
FIVE USA DATES CONFIRMED
Billy will be playing five dates in the eastern United States in October.

17 October - Webster Hall, New York City, NY
18 October - Calvin Theater, Northampton, MA
19 October - Scottish Rite Auditorium, West Collingswood, NJ
20 October - New York Society for Ethical Culture, New York City, NY
22 October - Birchmere, Alexandria, VA
signed with love and vicious kisses
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Lucinda Williams & Charlie Louvin

At first I wasn't going to go because only Lucinda was advertized, but then I saw that Charlie was opening up for her so I went. It was a great show. They both sounded great and had great bands behind them.
Charlie came out looking and sounding great. He said he is eighty, but you would never know it. His second number was 'Must You Throw Dirt In My Face' and he closed his set with 'Cash On The Barrelhead'. (He has a new album coming out.) Half-an-hour later Lucinda started her portion of the show. I enjoyed her more than I though I would. She did some tunes from West and some numbers she had just finished writing and had not recorded yet. She likes the The Theivery Corporation so she did a TC cover. She brought Charlie back out for her last number. They dueted on Louvin Bro's 'When I Stop Dreaming.'
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

"Marching the Hate Machines (Into the Sun)" was the TC song Lucinda did, acoording to this blogger, sounds intriguing, I hope a mp3 pops up somewhere.

Saw a great show by The Brodskys in Galway tonight. The standards in the first half were fine, awesome to see their distinctive playing in person. The second half was an almost experimental piece, choreographed moves and all that, the clarinetists did some of his parts while kneeling down, really made it engrossing stuff.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A fave of mine lately has been "Má bhíonn tú liom bí liom" ("If you're with me, then be with me!"), a album by Irish singer Róisín Elsafty (Egyptian Dad , hence the name). Róisín and many of the musicians from the album did a hugely enjoyable show in Galway yesterday afternoon. No amount of listening to the album could prepare you for the impact it has live. The excellent musicianship combined with a truly transcendent vocal was just mesmerising to behold. The audience had arrived in from heavy rain to a low ceilinged , upstairs venue . Air conditioning wasn't evident so , soon enough, audience and artists alike were sitting around , sweating buckets. This circumstance added another element , a earthiness , a giddiness , a carnality , if you will, to the proceedings.

Considering that most of the songs are , genuinely, about rural ways and the like it was surprising . Róisín herself appeared bemused when her introduction to Píopa Ainde Mhóir and it's tale about Andy's , er, big pipe had us roaring with laughter. Another another song which, apparently, is about women discussing the sizes of certain fishermen's boats was also greeted in a similar fashion. I kept thinking back to a Frankie Howerd show I saw back in the '80s ; the Maestro would have been very impressed with the reaction Roisin was getting.

The show was well structured. Róisín would sing a few songs , the musicians would do a reel or two , Róisín would do some more etc. She mentioned that her new born child Sive was in the audience In a touch that kept giving me unforgivable flashes of Lou Reed's Berlin , the start of Pota Mór Fataí ( about a toddler girl who loves potatoes) was accompanied by the baby crying. Many of those present seemed to be from Róisín's backround and the Ghaeltacht ( Irish speaking areas) so I imagine they would have sensitive to any faults in her presentation. The loud applause from all seemed to tell a tale of warm acceptance.

Smuttiness aside, it was a example of the power of live shows. In her introduction Ms Henesy told of how Róisín had taken her time producing the album. Good as it is , the live version was immeasurably more powerful. I had to dash for the last train to Dublin as soon as the music ended so wasn't able to find out any news about future plans. The show was recorded , the first few songs were even filmed . Hopefully they' ll turn up soon enough. The musicians ( including Ronan Browne, Martín O'Connor and Dónal Lunny ) are all very busy so I imagine it'll take a lot of effort to co-ordinate more shows. That , of course, will be dependent on album sales and so on etc. Here's hoping that this show will do it's bit in spreading the word.

http://www.myspace.com/roisinelsafty
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Went to see Magic Dirt at Manly Fishos two days ago. One of the best gigs I've seen in recent times, well worth checking out (one of the best Australian bands of the past 10 years, they have a new album but I don't know whether there is a plan to tour o/s). A chick led 4-piece sort of in The Pretenders and Divinyls vein, a hint of new wave and punk retro but also with some ironic modern elements. They draw some poppy sounding songs out into Sonic Youth-like unstructured jams and their singer, Adalita, all tough but super cool, playing a Gibson SG, is good at working the drama back into the mic including some wild wide-open-mouthed full-blooded roars.

VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Saw Modest Mouse recently - didnt know they were that great live :)
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Just got back from seeing The Dirty Dozen Brass Band. It was one of the best shows I have seen. The energy level of the band was high and this lead to the audience's reciprocation. Of course they played 'When The Saints....' and it was one of the highlights. The young ladies in the audience were invited up to the stage for the encore to dance around and mingle with the band.

They sounded even better live than on their recordings.
- M. Twain
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

So glad you got to see them Ice. One of the things I miss most about N.O. is the ability, on most nights of the week, to pop down to Donna's or the Maple Leaf or the Treme Music Club and see brass band music. That's some kind of palpable joy that emanates from the stage, isn't it?
Otis Westinghouse

Lloyd Cole, solo, standing up (unlike 4 years ago!), in a very small, intimate venue, the Shed section of The Junction in my home town of Cambridge. Excellent company in the form of Jackson Doofster Monk and Mrs Monk joining me and Mrs Otis.

Two acoustic guitars, which he played very well, voice in fine form, songs as twinkling and perfect as ever. Two parts with intermission, the first part was generally morose, which he made jokes about. He is very entertaining, self-deprecating and with some good gags. All round great entertainment. Most of my favourite songs were there. Only two from Antidepressant, and also from Music in a Foreign Language. Would have liked to hear a few more from these. Four covers. Setlist something like this:

Woman In a Bar
Patience
Butterfly
Baby
Reason to Believe (Tim Hardin)
How Wrong Can You Be?
Like Lovers Do
Late Night, Early Town
Don't Look Back
Cut Me Down
Love Like This Can't Last
No More Love Songs
Rattlesnakes
Chelsea Hotel (Cohen)
Music In A Foreign Language
Are You Ready To Be Heartbroken?
Unhappy Song
Please Don't Tell Me How The Story Ends (Kris Kristofferson)
Pay For It
No Blue Skies
I'm Gone
Brand New Friend
Why I Love Country Music
Lost Weekend
If I Were a Carpenter (Tim Hardin again, though for some reason I didn't recognise this)
Perfect Skin
My Bag

Encore
--------
Undressed
2CV

Something like that. And today my Lloyd at the BBC CDs arrived. Three separate volumes, two of which are double CDs. Five versions of Forest Fire in total! A great day for celebrating Lloyd.