Baseball's back

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Baseball's back

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

With Spring Training here, are there any takers on a participating in an EC fans Yahoo! fantasy league?
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Count me in
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Cool. We have plenty of time, so I'll wait to see how many folks we get, then set up a private league.
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

funny , i just did this on the liz board.

I will play
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Count me in!
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Any other takers? If not, we're going to have one cozy little league.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I'm way too ignorant about what's going on around the leagues to have any clue how to do this, or I'd give it a shot, just to round out the bottom... but I promise to watch from the stands!!

Is the whole country being plastered with the ads for the new movie about Red Sox fandom with Jimmy Fallon & Drew Barrymore, or is it just us victims here in The Hub? I can't help but laugh when I see them, cause clearly the film would've made more sense if the Sox hadn't won the series last year!

Looks like a crap movie but of course it will be obligatory viewing for locals-- hey, look, it's The Cask!!, etc. They seemed to be filming it for about a bazillion years; I could see the lights on at Fenway well into November, maybe even December.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Is Tom Hanks in that? To be honest, I haven't seen much hype about it around here, but I live in Yankee country, so that's not surprising. Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore both annoy the hell out of me, so I doubt I'll be rushing out to buy tickets when it hits theaters. I heard that it is loosely based on "Fever Pitch", the Nick Hornby novel about following Arsenal which they turned into a bad movie, with Colin Firth woefully miscast.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

baseball i know about, but fantasy baseball i don't. and i have enough vices.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Let me know if you're still doing this. Ill give it a go.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Unfortunately, we only have five at the moment. Was hoping for more of a response. Unless we get a few more, I think we'll have to pass.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

come on, people!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I'm going to send a note around to a few baseball fans I know to see if they want to join. Desperate times call for desperate measures. If we get this together, it will have to be an auto-draft, as I don't think we have time to put together a live player draft.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

I like baseball and I would be up for it, except that Ive never played fantasy baseball before ... so Im not sure how its done ...
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

You essentially pick players and hope they do well. The better the players on your 'fantasy team' do in the season, the better your team will ultimately fare. But you can drop players and sign new ones, and trade.. you also have to decide who you want on your bench for the day and who you want to play.

There isn't much to it, really
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

OK, I have one more player, so that makes six so far:

Yours truly
BlueChair
so lacklustre
BWAP
crash
Tom (my old college roommate and yet another Red Sox fan)

Two more players and I say we go ahead with it.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Last chance folks, or I'm going to have to deep-six the idea of an EC fantasy league. I have six players now - maybe seven at a stretch - but need at least 8 to make it a viable league. Any last minute additions?
Boy With A Problem

come on Oily Slick
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

i'd love to and i subscribe to baseball magazines i pour over, but i skip all this stuff. i don't even know what it means hardly though it is obviously a popular and pervasive past-time. how much time does this consume on a daily basis? hiding goody2shoes is a big baseball fan too, by the way.
Boy With A Problem

I'm hoping it doesn't consume too much time - I'm hoping it isn't daily - WSS? - how does this work - do we submit our lineups on a weekly basis? Can you give us a brief overview?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

It really depends on how actively you want to manage your team. To keep things simple, we would be doing an auto-draft, meaning that you will be assigned a random team based on Yahoo!'s player rankings (you can alter these rankings if you like). It will include starting pitchers, a few relievers, and field players.

From the players you are assigned, you will have to select a team of starters (8 field players plus a designated hitter - I think), as well as your pitching rotation. The rest of your team will consist of bench players that you can rotate in or out depending on how your starters are performing, injuries, etc. (Yahoo! will tell you if one of your players is on the disabled list). Points are calculated for hitters based on a certain number of batting stats, and for pitchers on things like wins, ERA and saves.

I played most recently two seasons ago and found that I did not need to look in every day. You can, of course, if you want to be on top of absolutely everything that's happening and consider things like pitching matchups (e.g. if one of your starters is facing the Red Sox or Yankees, the chances of him winning are somewhat reduced, so you can rotate in one of the players from your bench). It is also possible to propose trades to other players in the league if you feel you are short in one area or if you just hate a player you've been assigned (like me with Barry Bonds), switch a player out for another who hasn't been selected by any team, or put a player on waivers. I usually took a look in 2-3 times a week to see how my team was doing, make adjustments, etc.

Hope that helps. I guess the answer is that it can either be an all-consuming passion or something more casual. My hope is that the EC League (if it gets off the ground) will be the latter.
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

oily slick wrote: hiding goody2shoes is a big baseball fan too, by the way.
Oh god, I've been outed!
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

would someone be like the commissioner and post standings and stuff? mastermind the whole thing and have yahoo magically talk to us? obviously i'm an idiot, but i'll try it. i will be gone thurs-sunday though if that messes up any initial steps necessary.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Hurrah, oily! That makes seven of us, maybe 8 if I can work on my uncle (another Sox fan - jeez). I'll get things set up and let people know what needs to be done next. It shouldn't matter if you're out of town, oily. As I mentioned, it will be an auto-draft.

Any idea what I should call the league? The only baseball reference I can think of in EC's music is that "holding a baseball bat" bit in "Honey Hush".
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

don't give up on goody. she is just shy. an 8th waiting to be nudged. someone else nudge...

you could call it "how to be dumb" or "this sad burlesque" :) how about "the other side of summer" or "night rally"?
Last edited by oily slick on Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.