I am now old...and that's official

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
johnfoyle

I am now old...and that's official

Post by johnfoyle »

I am now old...and that's official. As part of my bi-annual eye check-up today the lady used a machine to 'squirt' air into my eyes. I asked what this new procedure was for. She paused , looked at my data on her screen ,smiled and said ' Well , when you are approaching 40 I have to check for Glaucoma....'

Great.

I got an all clear , by the way , my eye sight not having deteriorated at all in the past two years.

Has anyone else been made aware of their age recently?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Yeah, when my daughter brought home info to order her class ring from high school last week. :o
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

spooky girlfriend wrote:Yeah, when my daughter brought home info to order her class ring from high school last week. :o
Ah, Spooky...me too!

But what's worse is my oldest son just turned 21 while his brother just turned 16!! Heavens to Betsy, I really can't believe it.

So now we're working on getting a driver's license and I got to see my son drink his first beer.
(Wait, let me rephrase that....it was the first time I SAW my son drink a beer.)
Last edited by SweetPear on Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not angry anymore....
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

there was the time I went in the record store and they didn't sell records anymore.

there was another time I went in the record store and they didn't sell tapes anymore.

don't feel old until you can no longer remember when things happened except by what family members were born/died/lost limbs/joined a cult.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

What a blow that was! I mean, I know I turned 40 last August, but man oh man. When she came home with that, I got out my old class ring and she wore it all afternoon. Whoa!

Come on, somebody else around here must be feeling old besides us!

If it helps, Mr. Foyle, I've never thought of you as old. :wink:
RedShoes

Re: I am now old...and that's official

Post by RedShoes »

johnfoyle wrote:Well , when you are approaching 40 I have to check for Glaucoma....'
If it makes you feel any better, I'm 24, and I've had this test a few times. I've got *awful* eyes, and they keep getting worse. So my doc likes to check everything.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

I never feel old. In fact, I have to every day remind myself that I'm an adult with responsibilities and I need to quit feeling like I'm 20. However, I got confirmation 4 years ago that I am chronologically old, when at age 37 I found I was pregnant, and had to have a bunch of tests run because I was of (and the doctor said this with a straight face) "ADVANCED MATERNAL AGE".
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
bobster

Post by bobster »

Got bad heartburn last night for the first time in my life....My relationship with Mexican food may be eternally altered.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

A personal epiphany recently upon the realization that my son, now 23 years old, is serving as a professor of mathematics at the Ohio State University, teaching two courses solo with 80 students in one class and 120 in the other. Responsible for the syllabus, exams, grading, etc. Has a team of graduate teaching assistants that work for him. He is the youngest mathematics professor to handle these courses as the principle instructor.

Yesterday, he and I were aiming superballs at the laundromat dryers in a deranged impromptu game of 'dryerball'. He was 7 and I was 31, sole custodial parent as my wife, his mother, had left us 3 years prior when he was four years old. Late yesterday he was my Best Man when I married my wife, Allison's Mother. Last night he graduated from High School as Valedictorian and gave a moving speech entitled "Who are the Hero's Among Us". Today, he is my best male friend, and we talk at least once every day, in spite of the miles that seperate us.

I feel 28. I am 47. My wife, for some inexplicable reason, asked my yesterday if I realized that in 13 years I would be sixty years old. No effect, because I will still listen to rock and roll, love to party, will continue my journey into the history of jazz, and act like a fool around my 12 year old daughter and her friends.

As I tell my family, I have made a decision that is irrevocable: I have decided to live until the age of 113 years. So I have some time left to get a few things done....
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

i got pseudo carded.

it was: "do you have a valid id? i don't need to see it."

he had to repeat that five times before i understood the question.

i never get carded anymore, so i could NOT parse what he was saying.

(i don't like him anyway. he's way too chatty. bleh.)

:)
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

Being almost 53 and having two young boys aged 3 and 6 means that I am physically starting to feel my age (and beyond)... mentally however, I am still the immature thing that I have always been.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I never felt 'old' until I realized that some of the kids I teach have parents younger than me. And they had their kids when they were 'normal' aged. Still, at 37, I still mentally feel like I'm at least ten years younger. The old bod does creak and groan a bit. And John, my eyes deteriorated UNTIL I was 34 but have stayed exactly the same since.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Goody2Shoes wrote :
I never feel old. In fact, I have to every day remind myself that I'm an adult with responsibilities and I need to quit feeling like I'm 20.
Ditto.
Sometimes I cannot believe I'm married and a father of three. It seems like yesterday my first baby was born. She has just turned nine and it's hard for me to believe that in another nine years she might be leaving home and going to university. I suppose that's when I will start to feel my age.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

My little sister turned 14 last month. She's tall, willowy and gorgeous. I went home for her birthday party, and she said, "Sharmin, do you think I'll be as pretty as you are when I'm your age?"

Compliment? Sure. But it reminded me that I'm almost twice her age. I'm 26, and I feel OLD...
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

But hey, I gotta say.....I see all the things happening in my life and can't believe it. I can't believe it because I still feel like I'm 17 years old. I always have. I wonder lots of times at how I'm married and have a big house and babies to take care of.....and all the while it freaks me out because i never have felt any older than 17. It's very strange.

A funny sort of situation I've been experiencing has been the way I dress. I'm at the age (41) where I feel I need to 'grow up' a little maybe, but every time I do, I feel so uncomfortable and out of place. I've always been told I look much younger than I am ( 8) ) and that always surprises me because I'm not trying to do that. So I feel like I don't even know what to put on in certain situations.
I'm not angry anymore....
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

My mother has gloucoma so me and all of my family have to be checked for this as standard proceedure. Years ago you would just have to have gone blind but thank god thats not the case these days!

Its a funny old world isnt it? Here we are worrying about looking old and my 24 year old daughter is horrified that everywhere she goes shes asked for ID to prove she is 18!

I still feel like im in my twentys in my head, and its not till I look in the mirror that I get a shock when this old biddy is staring back at me!! :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

I have a bum knee that keeps me from playing tennis, I was told last year I have arthitis in my neck, and there was one more thing but I can't remember it so I guess I am also losing my memory. Oh yeah, and my left hand aches when every time I play guitar. I feel I am starting to Geeeeeeeeeeez.

Then yesterday, an older guy at work told me 3 rules to live by after 50.

1) never pass up a chance to pee
2) never trust a fart
3) never waste a hard on.

Is this what I have to look forward to in 10 years?
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Gillibeanz wrote :
...its not till I look in the mirror that I get a shock when this old biddy is staring back at me!!
Gilli, take the photo of Emmylou Harris off your mirror !! :lol:
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

IP - I said old biddy , not DRUNKEN old biddy!! :lol: :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Having my 42nd bd last week made me feel old.
signed with love and vicious kisses
migdd

Post by migdd »

A sure sign of middle age. . .bifocals for my 45th birthday!
LittleFoole

Post by LittleFoole »

migdd wrote:A sure sign of middle age. . .bifocals for my 45th birthday!
LOL.....got 'em here, to, right before my 47th b-day 8)
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

geez, i never pass up a chance to pee. keeps the parts working better that way.

(or since we're discussing this, that means we're old?)

i have gray hairs. i like them actually. instant highlights!

and they're silver. silver is a very good color. it will look especially nice when i get that blue streak (not old lady blue, royal blue) i've been wanting.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I've been to see Athlete and Embrace this year who are popular beat combos here in the UK. I have definitely been the oldest person in the audience although my boyish looks make me look far younger and hip and happening. The game was given away when I started dancing though :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Hey verbal, you can't blame the bad dancing on your age. I've heard you're just a bad dancer anyhow. However hip and happening you may be. :wink: :lol: