New Music

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

New Music

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I can't find the old new music thread so I thought I'd start a new one. What have you been listening to?

I recently picked up an album by a songwriter from Chicago named Andrew Bird, "The Mysterious Production of Eggs", and have been playing it over and over. Lots of strange sounds, including whistling, violin and (I think) a bit of theremin, all played by Bird, with the exception of drums. Lyrically and musically, some of the tunes remind me of Radiohead, minus the symphonic sweep RH sometimes achieves. Bird toured recently with The Magnetic Fields and you can see that influence as well, though he's less humorous. Very highly recommended. "A Nervous Tic Motion of the Head to the Left" is my favorite song of the year so far.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Great album, Sam! I had the pleasure of reviewing it in the most recent issue of Being There.

Some of my other favorites of the year so far are Shivaree's Who's Got Trouble? (I'm interviewing their lead singer, Ambrosia Parsley on Wednesday) and Buena Vista Social Club Presents Manuel Guajiro Mirabal
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

BlueChair wrote:Great album, Sam! I had the pleasure of reviewing it in the most recent issue of Being There.

Some of my other favorites of the year so far are Shivaree's Who's Got Trouble? (I'm interviewing their lead singer, Ambrosia Parsley on Wednesday) and Buena Vista Social Club Presents Manuel Guajiro Mirabal
Eek. I really must pay attention. I'll check out your review Blue!
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

For some reason Amazon UK think I should be interested in Willy Mason and his album called "Where The Humans Eat".
Has anyone heard about the guy?
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Willy Mason - First Born has the album. Don't know much about him, but the bits I've heard are bluesy, lo fi and very good. Will have to borrow it.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

Currently Playlist:

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
New Order - Waiting For The Siren's Call
The Fall - Hex Induction Hour (thanks Otis)
Morrissey - You Are The Quarry (growing to love this)
White Stripes - Live at Blackpool DVD
EC&I - The Futurama Sessions
Fatboy Slim - Palookaville (but hate SlashDot and Jingo)
Little Richard - OKeh sessions (Northern Soul!)
David Bowie - Meltdown 2002 DVD - "Low" disc
Jools Holland - Later series of DVD's

I've added music DVD's to the list. I play CD's and DVD's through the same AV amp, so I guess they qualify...
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Missy Higgins - The Sound Of White
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

What I've got -

Richard Thompson - The Old Kit Bag
Dave Alvin - Interstate City
Johnny Dowd - Cemetary Shoes
Damn fine Mike Doughty mix cd
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

50 Foot Wave - Golden Ocean
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Ooooh, I soooo love the BVSC. Had the pleasure of meeting some of them at last year's Montreal Jazz Fest, and they are just the warmest, most magnetic people I've ever come across. (Must 've spent a good hour at the bar with their then-freshly-minted pianist Roberto Fonseca who's not only technically brilliant and quick with the fingers, but also exceedingly charming :wink: ).

Recently listening to The Dears and Laila Biali Trio.
King of Confidence

Post by King of Confidence »

Andrew Bird is a virtuoso violinist and whistler. I had not heard about this new record. He started out as a guest violinist with Squirrel Nut Zippers, and his first couple records with Bowl of Fire carry on that sound, or aspects of it. Which is fun in its way but not my cup of tea in album-size doses. But his last couple before this one were significant advances, and judging from Blue's review, and WSS's, this new one is a must-get.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

It's nothing like the Squirrel Nut Zippers. I understand that a lot of his earlier work had a kind of retro feel to it, but that's not the case on his new album.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

The only thing the new record has in common with the Bowl of Fire stuff is the lyrics, violin, and some of the vocal delivery. Although some of the stuff is comparable to certain tracks on The Swimming Hour
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

BlueChair wrote:Some of my other favorites of the year so far are Shivaree's Who's Got Trouble?
Blue, I picked this album up based on your recommendation and review and am really enjoying it. She has a great voice that took a little getting used to at first, but now I'm hooked. "I Close My Eyes", "Mexican Boyfriend" and their cover of Eno's "The Fat Lady of Limbourg" are probably my faves, but the whole album is excellent. Too bad they're not playing in New York.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Nouvelle Vague...french 'pop' versions of punk classics!!! Very good, and they got singers who have never heard of the originals...This Is Not A Love Song and Teenage Kicks are essential listening!
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Got the Andrew Bird album because of this thread and the Being There review. GREAT! Can't get Nervous Tic Motion out of my head.

The Blasters - Trouble Bound (live). A lot of FUN. I'd never heard of the band before I read about them here either. This was the first record of theirs I found after putting them on my checkout list, and I'd say it's a good first step.

Carla Bozulich - I'm Gonna Stop Killing. This one's mostly live too, except for a few outtakes from her version of red Headed Stranger, including Willie duetting on Can I Sleep In Your Arms. Never heard of her, bought it for my girlfriend because of the title, a nice cover, and good cover choices ("Running Dry" blows Neil's original away). Any Americans know anything about her? Sounds as if she could to a tour with Johnny Dowd and have it documented by David Lynch. Lots of weird creaking country. (Is there such a thing as Country & Eastern, b.t.w? Bozulich sounds positively slavic, except for the h.)
What this world needs is more silly men.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Today I downloaded (legally) Bright Eyes' "Another Travellin' Song" and it's one of the best songs I've heard this year. It's an acoustic, country-flavoured, bouncy number and I can't get it off my head.

Anyone heard the whole album - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning ?
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I love that song, IP!! it's the high point of the record for me.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Some more good stuff I've heard lately:

- Solomon Burke, Make Do With What You Got - probably not as strong an album as Don't Give Up On Me, but definitely not something that anyone on this forum should ignore. Burke is one of the great soul singers and this album finds him doing more upbeat horn-driven material. Some great covers too... The Band's "It Makes No Difference", The Stones' "I Got The Blues", and Dylan's "What Good Am I?"

- Keren Ann, Nolita. This is a really hard one to describe, especially since I just got it yesterday. It almost sounds like Stereolab meets The Band meets Jane Birkin. She's from France, and half the songs are in English and half in French, all great, great stuff.

- Amos Lee, Amos Lee. Critics have been calling him the male Norah Jones (it doesn't help that Norah's bassist/boyfriend Lee Alexander produced the record and that Norah appears on a few tracks), but he's kind of like a modern-day Bill Withers, armed with a soothing, soulful voice, and a nice brand of country/R&B/folk/blues.

- Kathleen Edwards, Back To Me. Most Canadian exports nowadays are lousy, but Kathleen Edwards is someone to keep an eye on. Alt. country with a Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers twist (she even stole Benmont Tench to play on the record)
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I have that Burke release too, and pretty much agree with you, hasn't quite bitten as much as Don't Give Up On Me but still enjoying it greatly.
Also got the Futureheads album, which is okay but I need to play it a few more times.
signed with love and vicious kisses
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

M Ward - Transistor Radio]

Probably the best release I've heard so far this year. An extremely talented songwriter out of Portland, Oregon, the album is a masterpeice.

It starts off with an acoustic instrumental cover of "You Still Believe In Me" from Pet Sounds and closes with a similar treatment of one of Bach's "Well Tempered Clavier"

Between that are sounds that evoke everyone from Tom Waits to Jerry Lee Lewis to Calexico, though you can't really pin down Ward's style that easily. Your best bet is listening to it for yourself.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Really good album. I'm going to see him at the Bowery Ballroom on the 10th. His previous album, The Transfiguration of Vincent, is just as good.

Transistor Radio is a very apt title too, because listening to his music feels like sitting in a rocking chair tuned into a broadcast on a crackly old radio.

Blue, if you're interested in seeing him live (and let's face it, with your new job you should be rolling in dough), he's playing in Toronto at Lees Palace on April 17.
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Crap! I'm already seeing Glen Tilbrook that night!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

There are a lot of good acts on tour this spring. I'm missing the Trashcan Sinatras because EC is in town that same weekend. Decisions, decisions. Where were all of these artists a month and a half ago?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

It's been a while, so I thought I'd revive this thread?

Some of my recent favorites include:

Rodney Crowell's The Outsider, the latest album to include harmony vocals from Emmylou Harris. Crowell's lyrics are really good on this record.

Michael Penn Mr. Hollywood Jr, 1947. As much as I liked The Forgotten Arm, Mr. Penn may have outdone his wife Aimee Mann on this record. Definitely worth checking out (on a side note, noiseradio recently interviewed Michael for Being There... but we're not sure yet if it will appear in September or October)

Son Volt - Okemah and The Melody of Riot. Aside from lead singer Jay Farrar, this is more or less an entirely new band reviving the name Son Volt, but it's still a pretty solid album. It's less alt. country than anything they've ever done, but still has that roots-rock thing going for it.