Most Overrated Band/Artist Ever

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

This thread is great, I've never really clicked with Bruce, The Clash and Zep. I had the argument of The Who vs Zep at work the other day, a straw poll favoured Zep, boo. Plus I'm with MBA, I don't get the Bright Eyes thing at all.

The Small Faces... who cares....

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:
Beethoven is overrated? I'd like to see you compose timeless symphonies and sonatas when you're completely deaf, so lack
Pop round next time you're in the vicinity (Thursday evening is usually my timeless symphony night and will try it with earmuffs on)
LOL. Post of the day! :D

My wife's been hammering away at Beethoven's "Pathetique" piano sonata for the past two months and it's driving me bonkers. There's no way she ever going to get close to playing it up to speed. I bought her a book of Grieg's complete "Lyric Pieces" for Christmas, hoping for a change of pace, but she hasn't touched it yet.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

The Waterboys.....never understood the deal with them.
corruptio optimi pessima
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

The biggest joke played on the american public was the publicity machine that made Stevie Nicks a serious recording artist. She sounds like a constipated billy-goat with laryngititis.

Kurt Cobain. I can't believe people can even think of him in the same context as Dylan, Hendrix, the Glitter Twins, Lennon/McCartney.

Eric Clapton is seriously overrated.

And I am trying and trying, but I still don't get Ron Sexsmith and why he is revered here on this board. What is unique? Many of the lyrics on Retriever are trite and cliched. Lacklustre voice.

Finally, OutKast. Overrated. Won't stand the test of time.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

That's so funny. I was listening to Speakerbooxxx/The Love Below just tonight thinking, "In 20 years, people will still be listening to this record." It's like Prince's Sign o The Times or Lovesexy to me--a handful of people (myself included) will always consider it to be groundbreaking and light years ahead of its time.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Mr. A, although I'm sure you didn't mean for it to be that way, I find your remarks on Ron Sexsmith to be personally insulting.

He is a geniunely nice guy who writes really great songs that are respected by many of his songwriting peers.

And overrated? Although he's a local hero in my neck of the woods, most of the world has no idea who he is! Up until recently, Ron Sexsmith had to hold down a day job so as to pay the bills. If that makes him overrated then I'm not sure what you'd call the thousands of mediocre singers or bands that get played on the radio hundreds ofl times a day.

If there's one thing I've realized about this thread it's that some of the artists who some of us hold near and dear to our hearts are *loathed* by others. I guess that's where our main musical differences lie.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

People don't think of Kurt Cobain in the same context as Dylan, Hendrix, the Glitter Twins, Lennon/McCartney, do they?

I think they think of him in the same context as Jim Morrison or possibly Nick Drake.

(If you don't get Ron Sexsmith, you're not Average enough, Mr.)
What this world needs is more silly men.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Jackson Monk wrote :
The Waterboys.....never understood the deal with them.
:(
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

:lol:
...and 'Room to Roam' has to be one of the worst albums ever!
corruptio optimi pessima
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Jackson, I've got a spare copy of Room To Roam. Would you like to give it another chance ? :D

Oh well, at least we agree about the excellence of Trashcan Sinatras...
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Bob Dylan - cos he sounds like a druken ole biddy as well! :lol:
Seriously ive never rated him! - Cue barrage of offended fans, insults and rotten fruit hurled in my general direction............ :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

The funny thing about a thread like this is it goes from "bands/artists that are overrated" to "bands/artists that each person can't stand". :P

Beethoven - no way could he ever be considered overrated. He's the only classical composer that I ever studied whose music spanned across two eras: Classical and Romantic (and his music helped define the latter of those eras). He was one of the most experimental composers ever in terms of form, harmony, and melody. Since he composed for patrons, they pretty much told him what he could compose. Beethoven had said that if he was allowed to write freely, his music would sound drastically different.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Gillibeanz wrote :
Bob Dylan - cos he sounds like a druken ole biddy as well!
Gilli, my wife says exactly the same thing. :lol:
I tried to make her listen to Blood On The Tracks (which imho is both excellent and quite accessible for a newcomer) with open ears but she refused after a few seconds.
Thank God she likes Elvis.
legman open to offers

Post by legman open to offers »

I always thought The Doors had a little something.

Overated to me... Polyphonic Spree. Too busy.
Now I'm the invisible man, and you can't see me.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Apart from a few tracks, Lennon lost the the plot when he moved to the US in 1971. I'm sure there are contempories of his, back in Liverpool, who crack up whenever they heard some the verbal guff he came out with since then, nevermind the revisionist stuff that has been doled out since his death.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

cosmos wrote:The funny thing about a thread like this is it goes from "bands/artists that are overrated" to "bands/artists that each person can't stand".
Exactly. When I was a teenager I had no use for Zep, but I adored The Who. Now I wonder what all the fuss was about, and I think Zep are in another league altogether. But I won't say the Who are overrated-- they just leave me flat. Likewise for an example like Bjork, I know her catalog has amazing depth, and she' unlike anyone else. Writing, vocal, arrangements... there's SO much there. If others can't hear it, well, it's no loss to me. I assume the same applies for some bands I don't get... Belle & Sebastian would be an example, I guess.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Blue and King:

I don't disparage Ron Sexsmith at all. Just a simple comment that I don't get the accolades that he has received here. I don't get it.

Nothing personal. I am sure he is a great guy and a great artist. But from what I have heard I cannot capture why he is considered to be such a huge talent. Nothing personal. I am sorry it is insulting to you. It is honest sentiment, that's all. ANd I suppose what you are suggesting, King, is that he is strong because he has no major hook/trait/characteristic/sound that sets him apart. He just fits into a comfortable groove. That's a great comment, and I will try to listen again without thinking about all the hype that raised my expectations through the roof.
Last edited by Mr. Average on Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

OH FUCK OFF ALL OF YOU!!!!!

Jeff Buckley.

never got it , never will.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

How should we fuck off oh master?
signed with love and vicious kisses
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Heres another bombshell - The Rolling Stones- vastly over rated!!

Shall I fuck off now or later?? :lol: :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Heres another bombshell - The Rolling Stones- vastly over rated!!
They should have hung it up at after Some Girls.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

mood swung wrote:OH FUCK OFF ALL OF YOU!!!!!
But.. I like a couple of Eagles songs...
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

How can one say that Led Zeppelin is overrated??

Robert Plant was a homo erotic god, who's voice was probably the best ever in the rock genre. Everybody copied him but could not live up to the beauty and sexuality of his voice.

Jimmy Page is probably the best guitar player ever and has certainly cranked out a lot more interesting riffs that Jimi Hendix himself as well as much more complex and innovative guitar playing that just about anyone, as well as a unique, at times heavy Les Paul sound that became the hallmark of rock. Listen to him improvise live and you'll understand his greatness.....unclean and raw with feeling. Orgasmic at times.

John Bonham...rythmic as hell, and power umatched.

John Paul Jones...not the best ever, but great at what he does.

Zep's first 4 albums are chock full of classics, great tunes that live on. Physical Grafitti and Presence are GEMS..........nobody makes rock albums like that anymore. Just pick up a guitar and try to recapture the sound of Presence.......and then talk your shit :lol:

I'll start on the Who next time I log on!!!!!!!!
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I have a lot of respect for Zeppelin and their body of work, I just don't think they've aged well- it all sounds so damned bombastic now. I mean, I liked the first Motley Crue record at the time too, but it sounds kinda silly now. Huge props for Bonham though- a sound and style not to be matched.

"Does anyone remember laughter?"
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Pop,

Am I wrong for *still* liking Dr. Feelgood?