Bono the Pig

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Pov

Bono the Pig

Post by Pov »

I like U2 a lot, and they have a great live act. However, I just received a notice that tickets for their 2 shows at the Meadowlands are going on sale next Monday. The top ticket price - $167.00!!!

Sorry, but IMHO that is an outrageous price for a rock concert ticket. I used to think that Springsteen was pushing the envelope at $75. I thought Bono like to portray himself as some sort of working class hero. It's disappointing to see that he's just a money grubbing rock star like all the others.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

U2's been charging big bucks for 'gold circle' seats for at least a decade. Their last tour at least had $45 floor general admission tickets, but those sold out in like two minutes.

The sad fact is that they can sell out a stadium for $100 a ticket, so their promoters are going to cash in on that.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

What say does the group have in setting the prices for these shows? The last few tours have been pretty lavish although no doubt some of the costs were offset through corporate sponsorship. I don't know what sort of show they'll be putting on but it will probably be lavish again.

The UK shows go on sale tomorrow and I can't wait to see what prices they go for. I suspect it will be £50 general admission a ticket at least. :roll: with hospitality packages etc available for the corporate boys who want to get drunk and talk business.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

I agree - ticket prices like that are taking the piss out of the loyal fans. I wouldnt buy them at that price -neither would I ever buy anything from a ticket tout.

If people are prepared to pay those prices they will charge them. Maybe its time we all said no.
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'm not sure how much say the band or artist has as far as ticket prices are concerned, but it's ultimately their show. If they have enough power they can say "F U, man, I'm not charging my fans that!"

But ultimately it's the promoters who set prices, and all they care about is filling the seats and money. If the concerts didn't sell well at high prices it'd be a different story. Canada's largest cinema chain just lowered their prices significantly because they want higher attendance and realize nobody wants to pay $13.95 CDN for a movie ticket.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

You know, when I saw ELvis the other night, working his ass off, busting his balls to give us a good show, despite his bloated and sweaty Danny DeVito Hunchback condition, I realized...JESUS...this place has 1500 people in it, and they paid about 35 bucks a pop. He's working his ass off for chicken feed, while Bono the self promoting creep galavants on stage like a cocky self obsorbed messiah of freedom for the opressed is cashing in because they have a ZooEuropa slide show and he wears freaky shades. That is just not fair.
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Copenhagen Fan wrote:You know, when I saw ELvis the other night, working his ass off, busting his balls to give us a good show, despite his bloated and sweaty Danny DeVito Hunchback condition
Gosh Cope - what a wonderful image of our Elvis that conjures up!! :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
verbal gymnastics

I remember having a discussion on the board about the ticket prices Elvis charged when he did the Painted From Memory shows. People were complaining about the ticket prices but didn't seem to realise that putting on a show with a 48 piece orchestra didn't come for free. The difference here is that U2 will have the tour underwritten by corporations and will have incredibly expensive merchandise on sale. U2 tour leather/denim jacket anyone...?

Similarly U2's show will probably be technomological. But, Bono plays the Messiah and if there's anyone in the rock world that can say ""F U, man, I'm not charging my fans that!" as Blue points out, it's Bono. But I don't see it somehow.
verbal gymnastics

Copenhagen Fan wrote:You know, when I saw ELvis the other night, working his ass off, busting his balls to give us a good show, despite his bloated and sweaty Danny DeVito Hunchback condition
And Cope - you're getting a bit obsessed with this image!
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

you can pay 75 bucks in las vegas to see elvis as you could in tampa before those seats sold out. i paid 125 to see the stones several years back, though i was in the 12th row of an arena. this all happened when i was asleep. the same day neckties went from $13 to $38, i think.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Yeah. It depends on the city. Elvis typically charges about $65-$70 US for his Toronto shows whereas if he were to play Ottawa he'd probably only charge about $35
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

41 bucks in knoxville to be in the 2nd row. (note: moody and goody are in the 4th row.)
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

:P and we'll be armed and dangerous, buddy.

thanks for ending the tabby trashing, btw.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I wouldn't mind seeing U2 again. Saw the Joshua Tree tour in the old Boston Garden on what turned out to be a life-changing day (not cuz of them, though).

But as the tour ends in Boston, and we have that whole Irish connection, I suspect the ticket prices will be outrageous. I don't suspect there'll be many recent Irish immigrants (lots of waitresses and painters) in attendance.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I saw them on the last tour and have no intentions of ever seeing them again. I like U2, but the concert was forgettable. Maybe it was because there was a group of 13 year old girls next to us and this one guy who didn't even have a reserved seat kept standing with them in front of me.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I'm not for exorbinant ticket prices, but seeing U2 in 1992 (?) on the Zoo TV tour was on of the greatest experiences I have ever had at a concert, and I'd be willing to pay decent money to see them again. I just paid 50+ for EC tickets and I paid 85 to see Bowie, so I don't see the big deal if U2 wants to charge high prices. If you don't want to pay, don't go.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Bono, a pig? He is kind of involved with governments in trying to cancel the debts of third world countries...
I thought Bono like to portray himself as some sort of working class hero
What gave you the idea that Bono likes to portray himself as a working class hero? You obviously haven't read any good biography.
I like U2 a lot, and they have a great live act. However,
Not a big fan, huh?

Btw, there's already a U2 thread here not too long neglected...
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I wouldn't shell out that unless it was for some kind of special EC thing (and I mean special like special guests Nick Lowe, Squeeze, Graham Parker, great seats, great lighting, free gourmet food, what the hell - maybe strippers :lol: )...or it was something like the Tom Waits 'I do a live gig less often than the town of Brigadoon appears' concert recently.

Why have U2 suddenly become the most commercial band ever....Bono get a grip man! You are not the greatest band in the world. You think you're William Wallace, but you're more like Bonnie Prince Charlie!
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

How many of those top price tickets are there anyway? 20? That and the price depends on the venue and the promoter, who don't work exclusively for U2.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

This may have something to do with that high price... (from '01, presumably it's all finished now if the arena is going to be used. Bruce Springsteen fans who might go there would know...) http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ ... i_77036080
firebetty

UNIOUN YES!

Post by firebetty »

this is not the first thread about over priced tickets and the golden cirlce... which i know realize is making reference to the radius in which an artist can piss...
but this is an annoying subject- why going to see a concert is so f'in expensive, and why the artist put up with clear channel.
this has got me to thinking about a musician's union, where the artists can make demands and get there cut without cutting out fans... and not have people with coach bags and talking on cell phones in the front row.
you know, an older passionate artist who wants to go down big in history can be the organizer...
cottton-poly blends are an abomination
King of Confidence

Post by King of Confidence »

This story was emblazoned on the Chicago Tribune's front web page most of today.
U2's online ticket launch for fan club bollixed up

Apparently, U2 fan club members paid $40 for the opportunity to buy premium seats ahead of the crowds, only to find that the seats were already sold. Serious bad pub, to the point that the band is now trying to address it.

I paid $55+ to see them for Zoo TV in Tacoma, and PopMart in Eugene. Good shows, didn't change my life or anything, but roughly worth it to me at the time. Less so now, and I wouldn't pay the asking price these days to see them.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

One can expect a DVD from every tour now I'd say, which would be good enough for me. Elevation 2001 -Live From Boston was very good, it included different camera angles, music videos and other features.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

for $167, Bono better park my car, bring me multiple drinks, babysit my kids and give me a damn dvd.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
verbal gymnastics

The ticket prices for the U2 London shows are

£55 for standing and
£85 for reserved seating.

There's a certain part of my anatomy they can kiss.