PHUKET

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
A rope leash

PHUKET

Post by A rope leash »

A colleague of mine sent me this photo, apparently of the tsunami as it hit Phuket, Thailand...

I don't know if this is a real photo or not. Frightful either way...
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Still shot from a disaster movie. There's a description of this exact picture on snopes.com. I'll try to find the link.

It's not the real thing. But real photos of the actual event are pretty terrifying as well.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

From all I've read and seen, the waves of the tsunami aren't high-crested like that. They're a huge rise in the water level, so the front wall of the wave looks like high, not towering, but there's no trough behind it, the level just stays that high for hundreds and hundreds of meters. That's why you see some of that footage where people see the wave coming and stare at it fascniatedly. It's the (lateral) depth of the wave, not the height, that is so massive.

I was trying to explain the dynamics of it to my son while he was sitting in the bath, having him scoot his butt forward or back quickly to see the huge amount of water displaced and sloshed to the other end of the tub. It unexpectedly made me cry (though not him luckily).
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

bobster

Post by bobster »

I'm wondering if it's possible this could be a still from a movie that was released in the U.S. as "Tidal Wave" back when disaster movies were in vogue. It's actually based on a highly thought of Japanese SF novel called "Japan Sinks", which was, I believe, the original movie title. It had pretty impressive sfx for the day. The cars look as if it may be old enough. Tim(e)?
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Isn't it from Deep Impact?
idle hands

Post by idle hands »

Hey guys..

I haven't been in the place for like 15 years, but that is actually Antofagasta, northern Chile. The desertic mountains you see is the Cordillera de la Costa, the mountain string that goes parallel to the Andes all through the coast. Having lived in a northern city myself for 7 years, I recognize those mountains right away.

Considering that all coastal towns in Chile live fearing a tsunami, that pic is probably the product of some chilean's paranoia.
que no panda el cunico
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Doesn't seem like you've been here for about 15 years either, Idle. Great to see you here! :)
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Welcome back, Idle!
idle hands

Post by idle hands »

thanks.... Ive been so terribly busy, in a good way, so I dont spend much time on the Inet. Besides, its summer here, very very nice, so I've been out a lot.
I had a terrific day today by the pool, in the middle of the Andes... not a bad day..
que no panda el cunico
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

good to see you around, idle!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
idle hands

Post by idle hands »

thanks blue!

by the way, last night in a big southern city (Concepción), there was a false tsunami alarm (http://www.emol.com/noticias/nacional/d ... cia=169947) , apparently some fishermen gave the alarm. The result: 12.000 people running out of their homes at 2 am towards the hills. I just saw the news this morning, people running all over the place, really chaotic.
I tell you, the tsunami paranoia is big around here...
que no panda el cunico
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

my thoughts exactly..FUCKIT
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Anyone seen that advert with Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne pleading their gold-encrusted hearts out to get us to donate to the Tsunami fund???

It ends with them both screaming PLEASE at the camera...it's dire.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Indeed.

Saludos, Idle! Nice to know you're out there. Met a half-Italian, half-Chilean woman in Italy the other day, was nice to hear her Chilean Spanish. From Viña del Mar, is that right?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
idle hands

Post by idle hands »

Hey Otis!!
Viña del Mar it is, right next to Valparaíso.
The italian community here is actually big, I'm now working at a client's house they rented for a project, and it's right in front of the Estadio Italiano.

"the other day in italy" huh?? sounds like fun...
que no panda el cunico
Otis Westinghouse

Hang on. I've been to Viña del Mar, if that's the place that is an extension of Valparaíso, so am confused. This is somewhere further north. An hour away, she might have said? Something else 'del Mar', perhaps?
idle hands

Post by idle hands »

the only one I can think of that rhymes with Mar is.. Zapallar

http://www.turistel.cl/mapas_ruteros/rut_e_1.htm

really beatiful town, probably the best beach in central Chile....
que no panda el cunico
Otis Westinghouse

Must have been Viña del Mar!

PS Like my avatar?
idle hands

Post by idle hands »

Had a chance to see Moz on early Nov, with PJ Harvey also.
Terrific show, his voice was just splendid. did you get to see him on this tour???
que no panda el cunico
Otis Westinghouse

Sadly not. I managed to tape him at Manchester fron the TV, which was very good. I was in Dublin the night he played, but couldn't get there. Where did you see him? Did you should out 'Oye Esteban' at him?
idle hands

Post by idle hands »

He included Santiago and Buenos Aires in his tour, for the second time.
The first time was actually the Oye Esteban tour, which was in the Estadio Victor Jara. Lousy sound, but I had a great time, is a small place, but the audience was great.
This time was in San Carlos de Apoquindo, the Football stadium of Universidad Catolica, great sound. I wasnt there too early, so I didnt get to be in the front. He seems to enjoy playing here, he talks a lot during the show, gave the antibush speech also, etc etc.
Mars Volta and PJ Harvey played before, I missed MV (thank god), and PJ was just great, though no one seems to know her that much...
que no panda el cunico
Otis Westinghouse

Brilliant! Does he speak any Spanish during the shows?
idle hands

Post by idle hands »

not much spanish, besides "si" and "no"...
He fooled quite a bit with Argentina, something like "You know, Im going tomorrow to A-R-G-E-N-T-I-N-A, you don't like Argentina?... oh! (to someone in the audience) you are from ARGENTINA..." etc, etc
You can guess the audience reaction.
Of course, he did the same thing in Buenos Aires... "I come from SANTIAGO..." etc etc
que no panda el cunico