Footy shmooty. Let's talk football

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

You don't know shit about football punk! ha ha...Rodney Harrison is a probowl player, he sticks the shit out of people and makes a lot of tackles.....but he can't cover any of the 3 Colts receivers.....if you think he can, then you know zero about football.

And yes the Pats won the first matchup. But have you heard of momentum, building as a season culminates? The Colts are HOT right now, and their offense is jelling, and their Defense is also getting better and more aggressive. Maybe we should make a wager?

By the way, I'm no Colts fan............I was just impressed as hell.
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Cope -

They beat the Broncos by a wider margin last year and immediately came into New England and laid an egg. Peyton looked bewitched, bothered and bewildered. Granted the Pats had a better defense last year, but their offense is much improved (Corey Dillon !!!)

No doubt it will be a close game - but Manning is 0 for 4 at Foxboro, the Pats have kept the field uncovered and exposed to the elements all week (Manning has a losing record outdoors to begin with), Tom Brady and Corey Dillon can eat clock (it's tough for Manning to be effective when he's standing next to Tony Dungy) and Belichick is the best prepared and most innovative coach in the game - with two weeks to come up with a game plan.

How's the weather been out there this week WHAR? - Hopefully pissing down with ice and snow and mud and sundry radioactive materials.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Boy With A Problem wrote: How's the weather been out there this week WHAR? - Hopefully pissing down with ice and snow and mud and sundry radioactive materials.
S'about right. Wednesday: clods of slush falling from the sky. Yesterday: Hound-of-the-Baskervilles fog. Today: howling wind.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

i believe the steelers, rams, eagles, and colts will win.

this means your money should be on the jets, falcons, vikings, and patriots.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Copenhagen Fan wrote:You don't know shit about football punk! ha ha...Rodney Harrison is a probowl player, he sticks the shit out of people and makes a lot of tackles.....but he can't cover any of the 3 Colts receivers.....if you think he can, then you know zero about football.

And yes the Pats won the first matchup. But have you heard of momentum, building as a season culminates? The Colts are HOT right now, and their offense is jelling, and their Defense is also getting better and more aggressive. Maybe we should make a wager?

By the way, I'm no Colts fan............I was just impressed as hell.
Cope, it's not Rodney's job to cover the Colts receivers, and Belicheck wouldn't put him in that position. However, as he and Eugene Wilson own the middle of the field, it'll make Asanta Samuel's, Randal Gay's, Tedy Bruschi's, and Troy Brown's jobs much easier (before you flip out- yes, MLBs do cover slot receivers on occasion).

The Colts don't stand a chance in Foxboro. I'm not sure what momentum you're talking about. It won't be any more than they had last year (for the points brought up above), and there is no regular season momentum when you lose your final game of the year (Yes, they benched their starters- but that too halts any and all momentum).

You shouldn't be asking how the Pats will stop Manning, because they've done that twice in the passed year... you should be asking how the Colts will stop Brady- because they haven't been able to do that yet (and the New England Offense is better than its ever been).

Brady's performance in week 1 made Manning's performance look like an average day on the college football field.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Patriots
Steelers
Rams
Eagles
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

New England/Atlanta will be one of the greatest Super Bowls ever- especially when Belicheck shuts down Vick with a genius scheme involving a DT playing as a nickel back.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Steelers win over Jets.

It easily cold have been a Jets victory but they missed a field goal. It only goes to show that at this level on any given day any team can win.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
King of Confidence

Post by King of Confidence »

I guess BWAP and WHAR get the prognostication prize today. Damn. I was digging Manning and the Colts offense. But then, my Fouts-era Chargers never went to the Super Bowl either. Doesn't look like Manning will if he has to play outside, or at least in Foxboro.

Well, go Steelers then.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Looks like I have egg on my face! WHAR was right! Peyton laid an egg and hung his head like the dork he is in the first quarter and gave up before he even got the ball rolling. LOSER like his daddy.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Boy With A Problem wrote:No doubt it will be a close game.
Uh, maybe not. Congrats to your Pats, BWAP. Only caught the end of the game (my TV has been abducted by a four year old girl), but it didn't look very close. Manning seems to freeze at Foxboro.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I didn't watch the game, but I'd be surprised if anyone at Foxboro wasn't freezing yesterday (okay save the folks in luxury boxes). Freezing rain here in Boston at the time, I assume it was the same out there...

I sort of wish I was a football fan but I can't get into it. I think I am genetically obligated to be a Giants fan if ever I do.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Copenhagen Fan wrote:Looks like I have egg on my face! WHAR was right! Peyton laid an egg and hung his head like the dork he is in the first quarter and gave up before he even got the ball rolling. LOSER like his daddy.
It's easy to buy into the hype, especially when this "high powered offense" had a tit schedule this season (the only challenging defenses they played were New England, Baltimore- and he stunk in both of those games)- they played OAK, MIN, HOU twice, CHI, DET, KAN, SDG (great rush def, horrible pass def)- any QB could break Marino's record with that schedule- they mine as well have thrown New Orleans in there for good measure.

How about that Rodney Harrison?! 8 tackles and an INT. =)
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

Poor Colts. We got spanked...but we'll get it next year. I hope.

And yeah...Manning is a dork. I love the guy, but he's a dork.
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

wehitandrun wrote:
Copenhagen Fan wrote:Looks like I have egg on my face! WHAR was right! Peyton laid an egg and hung his head like the dork he is in the first quarter and gave up before he even got the ball rolling. LOSER like his daddy.
It's easy to buy into the hype, especially when this "high powered offense" had a tit schedule this season (the only challenging defenses they played were New England, Baltimore- and he stunk in both of those games)- they played OAK, MIN, HOU twice, CHI, DET, KAN, SDG (great rush def, horrible pass def)- any QB could break Marino's record with that schedule- they mine as well have thrown New Orleans in there for good measure.

How about that Rodney Harrison?! 8 tackles and an INT. =)
One thing I can't stand is a bandwagon asswipe. WHAR, haven't you sworn allegiance to all things Dallas Cowboys in the past on this very board? When did you decide you were a New England stalwart? And lay off Archie Manning and New Orleans, or I will be forced to feed you a turd sandwich.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I live in the Boston area, I'm always a New England fan.

However, I grew up a Dallas fan, and they are my team. However, Bill Parcells is destroying my team by trading their best receiver and cutting their future leader in favor of a 40 year old nothing. I'll pick Dallas over New England any day, but I'm still loyal to both teams and the hott Tom Brady.

I don't see how that is band-wagon related, and Archie Manning? My New Orleans reference had nothing to do with that zilch, I was referencing their horrible defense.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

WSS wrote
Boy With A Problem wrote:
No doubt it will be a close game.

Uh, maybe not. Congrats to your Pats, BWAP. Only caught the end of the game (my TV has been abducted by a four year old girl), but it didn't look very close. Manning seems to freeze at Foxboro.
It was pretty close through the first half 6-3 Pats - but we got to see what Bill Simmons has called the Peyton Face, which only seems to come out against New England - It will be a tough one against Pitssburgh, this time they have Dillon though
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I didn't want the Eagles to win- now I'm pretty psyched about it.

New England vs. Philly should be a great Super Bowl.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

wehitandrun wrote: New England vs. Philly should be a great Super Bowl.
I agree. I'm not a huge football fan but you can't not watch now...
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

shatterproof wrote:Don't count out the Steelers yet!
Okay, now can we? nice 87-yard run!
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

Now I hope that the Patriots win it all. I hate the Eagles and New England winning 3 out of 4 years would shut the Dallas fans up.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

[quote="pophead2k And lay off Archie Manning and New Orleans, or I will be forced to feed you a turd sandwich.[/quote]

Make mine a turd muffalatta.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

I'll be rooting for the Eagles....if not only because I don't want the boys from Manyunk to riot.
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

I am a DC area Redskins fan. I only hate the Eagles due to the division rivalry. I actually have a lot of respect for many of their player such as McNabb and Westbrook and think they are currently a pretty classy team other than T.O. who I really cannot stand.

And part of my family is from New England so I root with them as well.

So I don't hate the Eagles as a group of people, just as a rooting interest against my favorite team.

No offense intended.