AMERICAN IDIOT

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
A rope leash

AMERICAN IDIOT

Post by A rope leash »

>drunk<

This thing was worth the $17.00

This is like the old days. It isn't exactly stolen. This is just what Rock and Roll is. Buddy Holley didn't give a shit where his hooks came from. It wasn't stolen, it was just there.

I haven't looked at the case yet. Green Day is like the Led Zepplin of Punk.

In concept, it kind of stands alone. It ain't Tommy, and it ain't The Wall. It tastes a bit like Thick as a Brick, but I don't know what else to compare it to. In the music I can hear everything from The Beatles to Social Distortion to Weezer.

What this has that most of the crap I've been hearing on the radio doesn't is real ernestness. This contains the real power and sentiment of Rock and Roll, it's truth and anger, force and rightousness. It's also all Green Day, perfect, over-produced fake British Punk of the worst disease, this time with the apparent cohesion of a poor man's opera.

I hear Queen in there, too. Loud is good. They are saying something. Study it.

>fade<

In a way, it's like Zappa's You Are What You Is, but only in a Zappa kind of way.

I mean, if you've been drinking...
A rope leash

Disclaimer

Post by A rope leash »

Just in case anybody gives a shit what I think about this CD I just bought...

...I'm getting some Elvis on 8-track, too, but who cares?

Where's my waitress?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

May I take your order, please? :wink:
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Got my wish for xmas and received this album courtesy of my 15 year old son (who bought it cos he also wanted it!! :lol: ) Its agreat album and well worth having. Only wish I could have said the same about TDM.

Mines a coke no ice please spooky - and put it on Ropes bill! :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

well, this is exciting. i got it too, but haven't cracked it yet. good to see all the brainy old people on the board like green day. looking forward to it.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

:?
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

WHAR's feelings about this album are well known from before the board crash. I think its a great album. In fact, I just heard three tracks while I was shopping this afternoon in some store, and it reminded me of how much I like it. Very thoughtful stuff and very tuneful.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I honestly havent listened to it.

Is it safe to say that it's recommended?

I've always held a little grudge with it because of its large press/praise to The Delivery Man's nonexistant press/praise.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Just listened to it 3x in a row. Best rock and roll of 04 in my humble opinion. Almost all of the melodies are pinched, which makes it even cooler. One song has a composite of 'All the Young Dudes' mixed with 'Summer of 69'. Awesome.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

The American Idiot video is interesting. They must be pushing 45. When did they start? At the end, they get washed tsunami style by green water, leaving a washed out American flag hanging to dry...
A rope leash

AI

Post by A rope leash »

It does seem very timely. I haven't seen the video, I haven't looked at the CD liner, but I've played it about 45 times since I put it in the player about last Wednesday. It kicks ass. The kids love it.

Loud. I blew a speaker in the back room.

It's little bits, and all a piece.
alexv

Post by alexv »

Never really listened to these guys before, but happenned upon this cd at my local Towers, and put on the headphones. Listened to the first half and was overwhelmed by a wall of sound which sounded like Spector going punk. This is truly a rowdy rhythm record. I couldn't tell what the heck they were saying half the time and it did not matter. Highly recommended.
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

alexv wrote:Never really listened to these guys before, but happenned upon this cd at my local Towers, and put on the headphones. Listened to the first half and was overwhelmed by a wall of sound which sounded like Spector going punk. This is truly a rowdy rhythm record. I couldn't tell what the heck they were saying half the time and it did not matter. Highly recommended.
Thought it was more than a little tedious myself, but then a lot of people seem to disagree. They need to grow up and accept their age when it comes to their image, meanwhile a little more lyrical complexity wouldn't go amiss.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Bad Ambassador wrote:They need to grow up and accept their age when it comes to their image,
EXACTLY. The same goes for those Rancid boys. 12 foot mohawks.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

If you guys love this album so much, I'd love to hear your thoughts on one of the true nominees for album of the year-

"(s/t) - Straylight Run.

Green Day and their Avril Lavigne influenced "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams" can't compare to some of the real great music released this year.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

what a dandy surprise this record has turned out to be. i guess their career didn't really need revitalized, but this couldn't hurt. clearly they put more work into this than anything they've done. and it paid off. the engineering is superior and the rhythms and pacing are terrific. of peculiar note, they are the spittin' image of Shoes, of all people, on a song called Extraordinary Girl.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
A rope leash

April is the cruelest

Post by A rope leash »

I hear Weezer, I hear The Who, I hear The Beatles, I hear Stone Temple Pilots, I hear The Sex Pistols, I hear Styx, I hear Social Distortion. But, I don't hear April Levigne.

Becasue I couldn't pick her out of a line up of other squawking pop star rebel girls.

I sincerely doubt that Billy Joe Armstrong is influenced by the likes of April L. As to whether they need to grow up, well, no they don't.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

"ahhhhhh, ahhhh, ahhhhh" = avril lavigne lyrics

Good job Billy Joe, you phoney.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

time to make the doughnuts
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Boy With A Problem wrote:time to make the doughnuts
*wakes up* OH NO!

I probably make more money than you.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Considering how BWAP's favorite passtime as an American abroad is to walk around and slap people in the face with a wad of cash while extorting "I can buy and sell your ass, fat boy!" I would say that you're off on this one, Whar.
Mr. Misery

Post by Mr. Misery »

I've only heard a few songs from the album. I like the simple "Boulevard of Broken Dreams," the solitary life described with brutal honesty. When "American Idiot" comes on the radio it has such great energy and spirit that I naturally turn up the volume. Green Day can be fun to listen to and that is no small thing, but the trick is not to listen too carefully lest disappointment and embarrassment spoil the party. Here are some lines from "Holiday":

"Seig Heil to the president gasman
Pulverize the Eiffel Towers who criticize your government
Kill all the fags that don't agree."

The Hitler reference is meant to be incendiary but fails to spark any fire or shed any light. Towers don't criticize governments. The Eiffel Tower is still standing and the French have only been pulverized rhetorically. The Twin Towers were literally pulverized but it wouldn't fit into the argument to mention that. The last line is pure hysteria with no grounding in reality, and it is ungrammatical.
ImageImage
I've had you so many times but somehow I want more.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Bad Ambassador wrote:[They need to grow up and accept their age when it comes to their image.
To both you and WHAR (who hasnt even listened to the album so cannot possibly contribute or give a view) you seem to be outnumbered here which means you are in the minority - which should tell you something.

As to the quote above BA dont tell us what we should or shouldnt like. Music is ageless - there are no restrictions as to how old you are to what you should like, thats called censorship and bigotry - not cool. Maturity gives us more experience and therefore we are more qualified to judge what WE do or do not like. I suggest you grow up a bit before you make stupid comments like that. :roll:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Mr. Misery wrote: "Seig Heil to the president gasman
Pulverize the Eiffel Towers who criticize your government
Kill all the fags that don't agree."

The Hitler reference is meant to be incendiary but fails to spark any fire or shed any light. Towers don't criticize governments. The Eiffel Tower is still standing and the French have only been pulverized rhetorically. The Twin Towers were literally pulverized but it wouldn't fit into the argument to mention that. The last line is pure hysteria with no grounding in reality, and it is ungrammatical.
I haven't heard the LP, just the singles, which are fun, but was perfectly happy to order it for my son's 12th birthday so I can check it out (except that the Jersey-based 101CD people - who, like the other Jersey people Play and Blah, offer free postage as items under £18 can be sent to the UK VAT-free, hence their cheap prices - have failed to despatch it in time. No. 1 in the album charts and they don't have it in stock?). Re the above, yes the Sieg Heil line is puerile, but I was rather taken with the Towers one. It's a rather nice metonymy for France as it implies a defence of their stature, grandeur, historical precedent, (it doesn't do to get too literal when a nice metnoymy is at play, now does it?) and it is surely an intended irony to refer to Towers being pulverized as a defence of the French's admirable anti-war stance, so yes, I do think it fits the argument well. The last line may be hysterical, but it's furthering the Nazi Germany ref, so fits the argument, rather than needing to be grounded in reality. In what way is it ungrammatical? Are you complaining about 'that'? If so, you are charged with grammar prescriptivism as well as over-literalism! The last two lines can be taken as elliptical references to what the people to whom the song is addressed (pro-Bush fascists) would like to be doing, not what they are doing. Looking forward to hearing more ...
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Gillibeanz wrote:
Bad Ambassador wrote:[They need to grow up and accept their age when it comes to their image.
To both you and WHAR (who hasnt even listened to the album so cannot possibly contribute or give a view) you seem to be outnumbered here which means you are in the minority - which should tell you something.

As to the quote above BA dont tell us what we should or shouldnt like. Music is ageless - there are no restrictions as to how old you are to what you should like, thats called censorship and bigotry - not cool. Maturity gives us more experience and therefore we are more qualified to judge what WE do or do not like. I suggest you grow up a bit before you make stupid comments like that. :roll:
You're confused. He meant Green Day needs to grow up- and stop their 'punk' nonsense, and take the eye liner off. I agree with this point more with Rancid, but I see what he's saying.

Also, I don't care if I'm the minority on a message board of under 20 active posters. I still have an opinion and I will still share it. Not eveybody feels the same way about everything, and Green Day stinks.