Recent CD Purchases

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Stop going on, I'm getting it next week! :)
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

I've got to get Masked & Anonymous! Blue...have you picked it up yet?
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Should I buy Lloyd Cole's Love Story?
What kind of music is it?
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

El Vez,

I did pick up Masked & Anonymous on Tuesday. Very entertaining! I have a feeling you'll get a kick out of the Japanese version of "My Back Pages." Most of the cover tunes have some international flair to them. I kinda wish there was more stuff that was actually Dylan performing, but it's still a very entertaining listen.
girl out of time

recent purchases

Post by girl out of time »

..just got honeyman (live album)/tim buckley and fireworks/jose feliciano
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

I just bought a mint condition OOP box set of Costello and Nieve on e~bay.
I'm so excited!
I'm not angry anymore....
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

The Thrills and The Sleepy Jackson are both really good, they're both in a very summery indie-pop vein. I didn't know anything about either one of them, they were at the fnac listening booth, and I liked what I heard. If you like Beulah, you'll like the Thrills.

Tallulah, what do you think of Fever to Tell? I was a bit disappointed, though it's grown on me.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

SweetPear wrote:I just bought a mint condition OOP box set of Costello and Nieve on e~bay.
I'm so excited!
How much Sweetpear?

got The Wallflowers - Red Letter Days today.
U2 Elevation - Live From Boston 2DVD.
tokyo vogue

Post by tokyo vogue »

only cd i've bought recently is Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Ragged Glory

vinyl purchases:

Bauhaus - She's in Parties single
stickfigurecarousel - s/t 7"
At the Drive In - Relationship of Command (already had it on cd, but it was cheap and i <3 vinyl)
Sage Francis - Personal Journals

only downside of buying records is that i have to wait til i get home to hear them.
if we can rock together, why can't we walk together?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

and when will you be home, t vogue? and where all have you been? Inquiring minds want to know!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I've been too busy buying new CDs to keep up with new threads! I've recently got:

Lloyd Cole - Love Story. Yes LTZ, take a risk and pick it up. You can probably get it cheap on Amazon. Lloyd Cole was big over here in the early 80s. He arrived fully formed and released a blindingly good debut LP, Rattlesnakes, rated by most as still his best. (I'd take it over MAIT any day of the year.) He made three LPs as LC & The Commotions (the name an echo of EC & The As), all excellent. They split up in 1987, he moved to NY, and made a very good solo LP with Fred Maher, Robert Quine and Matthew Sweet. He's then got progressively more forgotten, but if you check the Amazon fan reviews, the standard line is always 'it's incredible that he wasn't a huge star'. He always had this slightly surly, arrogant edge that could people off, but he's undeniably a very, very talented songwriter, with a great voice, great lyrics and a fantastic record collection. Like EC, he clearly knows a lot of music. Obvious influences are Dylan, Byrds, Velvets, T Rex, too many to name. He's always been one for quotes and references, and was keen to display his love of all things American and Canadian early on, with refs to Norman Mailer (rhymed hilariousy with 'tailor'), Leonard Cohen, Truman Capote and others. And many of his songs featured women whose names began with a J, especially Jane.

Thanks to Doof's enthusiasm, I got listening to his old stuff again, and then we went to see him play a great solo acoustic show. Testament to his brilliant back catalogue, and that his new songs are also good. I'd nnever heard any of the mid-90s Love Story at this point, and now am making up for lost time. I can't believe such a good LP by someone I used to listen to all the time had passed me by. I'd say it's a good place to start (unless you just want a best of, i.e. The Collection, which has rather too many solo songs against Commotions ones to my mind, and also, inevitably, omits some of his best songs), or there is a Commotions only '84-89' Best Of.

The first song on Love Story is called Trigger Happy and starts

I love your head
I love the way you hold your head
Because you're young
And you know it

I love that. Inspired by this, I picked up the boxed set for an amazing £16.90 on the Amazon marketplace, 4 CDs, comprising the stuff he did post Love Story. There's the LP with The Negatives (does anyone know this New York band? Robert Quine appears to be involved again), which is good, as is Etc., though they're not in the league of Love Story. There's also the rather pointless ambient noodlings Plastic Wood LP, which isn't really worthy of release, he obviously felt like a break from singing and guitar playing, but should have done a soundtrack or something, and a live LP with the Negatives, containing a nice mix of old and new.

Due to this, I haven't yet bought his new one, Music In A Foreign Language, but will soon. Some of the songs sounded really good live.

Apologies to anyone who hate Lloyd Cole or overly long posts! (Feeling expansive.)

I can't believe how many CDs some of you buy. Don't you sometimes worry that over-consumption leads to a lack of proper appreciation? I've bought quite a lot this year, and can see how you can get addictive, especially with online shopping. But I almost prefer the sense of having to wait between each purchase to really enjoy them. Having said that, I'm excited to have got my hands on:

Morrissey - 'Your Arsenal' (some great songs, great Mick Ronson production, RIP, God bless 'im, but I wish he'd just come up with different words/title for National Front Disco)

Van the Man - Veedon Fleece (see, GOOT, got it in the end, and it is very lovely, and I can't believe I've never heard it, but I can't see why the Q buyer's guide would rate it ahead of the almighty St Dominic's Preview)

Aimee Mann - Whatever (very good, haven't played it enough yet!)

And I got the Bowie Video Collection for all of £1.75 on Amazon, but haven't had the chance to watch it yet. Got some great 70s stuff on it, including the immortal Be My Wife, but it has a lot of 70s gaps, e.g. no Rebel, Rebel, Young Americans, Sound & Vision or Golden Years, and lots of 80s tosh. Maybe no sort of promo clip was done for any of the above, though there is for Space Oddity, John I'm only Dancing. Someone lent me the phenomal book Bowie Style recently, which is the most amazing collection of photos from his entire career, including many that were totally new to me. It weas so good, I had to return it quickly so it wouldn't spoil the pleasure of buying it!

Yes, Cuatro Caminos means Four Ways. It's a place in Madrid. Who are Cafe Tacuba? Heard the name, know nothing.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Cafe Tacuba are a rock en espa~ol group from Mexico. I think they are one of the best bands around in any language. They have released 5 albums, a compilation, and a couple of ep's, and all of the above are very rewarding listening. I highly recommend all of them, especially Re and Avalancha Des Exitos.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Weird coincidence Otis. I have been listening to Your Arsenal a lot recently. I'd forgotten how great it is. It was the first Morrissey/Smiths record I got back in 92 and I think it's a career highlight. So much humour:"Your the one for me, Fatty" "If they're northern that just makes it worse" "Here I am/You don't need to look so pleased"

The National Front Disco is what it is. I never understood the accusation of racism; it's a story involving racism.

I agree that sometimes there are too many records around, one buys too much. I tend to buy in spurts, bunch of records one month, none the next. I must easily buy about 100+/year which I don't think is unreasonable, but I wish I could manage more. I have loads of records that I'm just not familiar with. I believe in the psychology that if you buy a lot of records, you are trying to find an "Ultimate" record that will abolish the need to buy another record ever again. Many records come close, so you just keep buying... I wish I could take in music the way Elvis does. Of course, we all wish we were Elvis...

DrJ
Last edited by DrJ on Sat Jul 26, 2003 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
girl out of time

otis, i´m glad you finally got Veedon Fleece....and i gotta tell ya i like VF better than StD´sP.....
as for Cafe Tacuba.....one of their last album (can´t quite recall the name now) is a tribute to a great band from Chile called Los Tres....their cover of Olor a Gas is great although not quite as good as the original........another song I´ve always liked from that band is Chilanga Banga included in one of their first albums....
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I don't have St. Dominic's Preview. Is this blasphemy considering I'm a big Van fan?
girl out of time

SDP

no it is not........but you´re missing fantastic songs such as listen to the lion and saint dominic´s preview.......
shabbydoll

Post by shabbydoll »

I slightly understand people from outside the UK not knowing what a great band SFA are, but for you UK subjects to completely ignore one of the best bands ever, shame on you.
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

BlueChair wrote:I don't have St. Dominic's Preview.
Me either!!

I listened to the best of Van Morrison CD for years (my kids love it!) In the past year I bought his new one Down the Road which I really, really like and then I ended up getting a few more of his earlier records.
Unfortunately, St. Dominic's Preview wasn't one of them. :(
costellopunk

Post by costellopunk »

went to the used store again:

birthday party-peel sessions
less than jake-anthem
oingo boingo-skeletons in the closet
nada surf-let go

how's the ravonettes cd miss b.a.? i've never heard anything by them but the cover is so damn cool i want to buy it.
-it takes a long time but god dies too/but not before he sticks it to you-
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Bamboo~I payed $93 and change for the Costello/Nieve box set (including the S&H). The bidding started at $8!! Mint condition, only played twice and then sat on his shelf. I think it was a lucky find. I've seen that set for sale on e-bay go for much more and not in very good condition, so I'm excited to get this one.
His loss~my gain.
:)
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

SweetPear wrote:Bamboo~I paid $93 and change for the Costello/Nieve box set (including the S&H).
You must be thrilled to have it. When I stumble across one at $50 you'll be the first to know. :wink:
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

costellopunk wrote: how's the ravonettes cd miss b.a.? i've never heard anything by them but the cover is so damn cool i want to buy it.
I wish I could tell you. It won't play in my CD player, despite all of my ministrations. And neither will the Jayhawks' "Hollywood Town Hall," which is the CD I forgot before.
Otis Westinghouse

Blue: sacrilege indeed. Anyone who has more than a passing liking for Van and doesn't own St Dom's Prev, go buy! We could have a lengthy debate over whether the It's Too Late To Stop Now live classic (don't tell me you ain't got this!!!) version of Listen to the Lion surpasses the studio one, but you haveto have both in your life. And he does a bizarre Jamaican accent on the live: 'to de liyahn'. SDP is filled with classics and epics.

Dr J: I don't buy that. I know Morrissey waves aside the accusations of racism, and we know he can't be straight when he sings 'England for the English', and he of course is from purely Irish stock (new song 'Irish Blood, English Heart' on the LP) but where on earth is the irony in the jolly and wholly sympathetic sounding tune of NFD? I think he got the music and the lyrics wrong, he should have saved them for a different song. To give a song such an incendiary title and not make it sound like the concept makes you puke is just irresponsible, however much I love ambiguity and tricksiness. If he had sung about this on a song with a chilling feel, say 'Last Night I Dreamt Somebdy Loved Me', you'd appreciate the irony, but to me this just sounds like his love of boxers and East End gangsters had extended unpleasantly to racist skinhead thigs too.

Apart from that, fucking corker of an LP.

Birthday Party on John Peel - that takes me back a few years!
girl out of time

van the man

otis......i like the live version of LttL better than the studio take.
Otis Westinghouse

Jamaican vocal stylings and all! TLTSN deserves its permanent membership of Best Live LPs OF All Time, verdad?