Recent CD Purchases

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Poor Deportee

Re: Recent CD Purchases

Post by Poor Deportee »

Jack of All Parades wrote:Quality Street by Nick Lowe. My annual Christmas album purchase and this one is an unqualified winner. Funny, never winsome or mawkish, this album puts an understated swing and sweetness into the holiday album format. Sticking to the 'mature' bent of his recordings over the last decade Nick gives listeners telling takes on old traditional songs like "Silent Night" and his own new holiday songs like the subversive "Christmas at the Airport" with a line that just makes me laught about a burger found in the can as a substitute for the family holiday turkey. Another effective song is "A Dollar Short of Happy" cowritten with Ry Cooder and seeped with a sadness that truly touches me. The real winner may be his take on Roy Wood's chestnut "I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday" with its winsome farfisa organ beat. Just a cool and joyous winner for the season. I am breaking out the eggnog tonight and a nutmeg stick. I also only now caught the significance of the title- apparantly Quality Street chocolates are a holiday staple in England.
I was about to come on here and ask for learned opinions from the distinguished commentariat - and lo and behold!

Then again, with Nick Lowe's name on the cover, there never was much doubt it was going to be swell.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Poor Deportee wrote:
Jack of All Parades wrote:Quality Street by Nick Lowe. My annual Christmas album purchase and this one is an unqualified winner. Funny, never winsome or mawkish, this album puts an understated swing and sweetness into the holiday album format. Sticking to the 'mature' bent of his recordings over the last decade Nick gives listeners telling takes on old traditional songs like "Silent Night" and his own new holiday songs like the subversive "Christmas at the Airport" with a line that just makes me laught about a burger found in the can as a substitute for the family holiday turkey. Another effective song is "A Dollar Short of Happy" cowritten with Ry Cooder and seeped with a sadness that truly touches me. The real winner may be his take on Roy Wood's chestnut "I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday" with its winsome farfisa organ beat. Just a cool and joyous winner for the season. I am breaking out the eggnog tonight and a nutmeg stick. I also only now caught the significance of the title- apparantly Quality Street chocolates are a holiday staple in England.
I was about to come on here and ask for learned opinions from the distinguished commentariat - and lo and behold!

Then again, with Nick Lowe's name on the cover, there never was much doubt it was going to be swell.
PD- keep an eye on the post and do not purchase- Santa may be gifting you more than a lump of coal in the coming weeks. :wink:
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

It's probably true to say that the majority of Brits can work their way around a tin of these without needing the menu guide. I also end up eating the hard round toffee ones that no-one else seems to want.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Jack of All Parades wrote:
Poor Deportee wrote:

PD- keep an eye on the post and do not purchase- Santa may be gifting you more than a lump of coal in the coming weeks. :wink:
Yagh! And I didn't get "Santa" anything!! :o
Jack of All Parades

"Santa" requires nothing. Enjoy and have a warm, safe Thanksgiving holiday with your family and the great Horned owl in the neighborhood[Minerva's messenger and celebrated nicely on that Gillian Welsh album cover with David Rawlings]. Off to Boston to celebrate with mine. 8)
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Jack of All Parades wrote:"Santa" requires nothing. Enjoy and have a warm, safe Thanksgiving holiday with your family and the great Horned owl in the neighborhood[Minerva's messenger and celebrated nicely on that Gillian Welsh album cover with David Rawlings]. Off to Boston to celebrate with mine. 8)
And if Facebook pics are any judge, a splendid time is guaranteed for all!

Thanksgiving here is in October. See what you missed by seceding from the British Empire? :wink:
Jack of All Parades

PD- I am so happy we have it in November. Boston is special this year as the weather has a nip to it and all the family is here. That photo is sad of me as we had not even started the meal yet and it would appear I have already consumed more than my alloted portions. Did you spot the owl perched upon the curtain rod in your honor. He supervised our meal. 8)
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Jack of All Parades wrote:PD- I am so happy we have it in November. Boston is special this year as the weather has a nip to it and all the family is here. That photo is sad of me as we had not even started the meal yet and it would appear I have already consumed more than my alloted portions. Did you spot the owl perched upon the curtain rod in your honor. He supervised our meal. 8)
Why, Chris, you merely look like a "man of substance" in that photo :wink: I hadn't noticed the owl until you mentioned it, but now I'm honoured to have had a tribute to my pet Great Horned Owl at your family gathering! Surely a first in the annals of Thanksgiving (usually the raptors are on the plate).
Jack of All Parades

PD-"Every man shift for all the rest and let no man take care for himself, for all is but fortune." King Lear. That bird we feasted upon was made short work of-the remaining parts made for a delicious Turkey curry on the second evening. Hence is my prosperity.