Recent CD Purchases

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

And oh, god, was it awesome.
I was hoping you'd like it. It's one of Those Albums for me.
New favourite, definitely.
Oh, no! the cult has got her!!!!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

mood swung wrote:
Oh, no! the cult has got her!!!!
*smacks face* I've been spelling like this ever since I had Brit Lit last year. My spell check near to has an anuerysm every time I go to write something on Word. Of course, now the words look incomplete without the 'u' or just wrong with a 'z.'

Now then...anybody bought any good CDs lately? :roll:
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I like yor style.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

:lol:

Rufus Wainwright and Lucinda Williams for my birthday. Damn, it's been a great week for acquisitions.
Otis Westinghouse

Which Rufus?
colrow26

Post by colrow26 »

with the vouchers i received for my 50th birthday (stop laughing!!) i picked up Projected Passion Revue by Dexys, the Cherry Ghost album and Never Mind the Bollocks by the sex Pistols (how did that escape me for all these years!!!)
...I want him to hurt...
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Pavement - Wowee Zowee - double CD edition re-issue with colour booklet and a tacky badge.

neo-psychedelic drone rock or somesuch thing. Lurrrvely!
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Which Rufus?
Wainwright. I somehow feel like that's the wrong answer.... :lol:
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I think he meant which album by Rufus Wainwright
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

:oops: My bad.

Want Two. As good a place to start as any, I figured.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

It's too much! My uncle arrived bearing many gifts, among them:
Joni: Hejira (I have this on vinyl), Don Juan's Reckless Daughter (actually new to me), and Shine (also new).
Also, Tom Waits, Swordfishtrombones (new).
They Might Be Giants, Dial-A-Song:20 Years of They Might Be Giants (new). Usually I don't do 'best-ofs', but this seems pretty comprehensive.

RIR as well, but as I already had it it's going for a store credit, which'll go to another CD I'm sure.

He also got me a DVD and a book.

This is why we call him 'the kid with the credit card.' He's got no children and a paid-off house, and he spoils us quite a bit sometimes. Not that I'm complaining!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

StrictTime wrote:It's too much! My uncle arrived bearing many gifts, among them:
Joni: Hejira (I have this on vinyl), Don Juan's Reckless Daughter (actually new to me), and Shine (also new).
Also, Tom Waits, Swordfishtrombones (new).
They Might Be Giants, Dial-A-Song:20 Years of They Might Be Giants (new). Usually I don't do 'best-ofs', but this seems pretty comprehensive.

RIR as well, but as I already had it it's going for a store credit, which'll go to another CD I'm sure.

He also got me a DVD and a book.

This is why we call him 'the kid with the credit card.' He's got no children and a paid-off house, and he spoils us quite a bit sometimes. Not that I'm complaining!
Wow, that's my kind of uncle. My Uncle Ken is a jazz DJ, so every time he visits he brings a load of new music - Charlie Parker compilations, McCoy Tyner's latest CD, obscure shit on random labels. No kids, but he does have a lovely wife and the world's most mellow dog.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Handy uncles! Some good stuff there. Want Two is my fave of Rufus's, though I didn't get the last one. Something held me back. Too much of a good thing? Want One also very worthwhile!

Happy 50th, Colrow!
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Theme From 'Shaft' just came on! I'm listening to disc #1 of The Stax Story's box set.

I had to spend $50 to get free delivery so I also picked up Al Di Meola's The Infinite Desire
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Got an Amazon gift certificate for my upcoming b-day and used it to order (via the ECFF linky):

Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Radiohead In Rainbows box set arrived today! A+++ for packaging. It's gorgeous!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Radiohead In Rainbows box set arrived today! A+++ for packaging. It's gorgeous!

...and it sounds even more marvelous on vinyl through the headphones.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Used a gift card for this:

and

This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

I'm curious, did anyone get the new deluxe box thingamajig edition of The Joshua Tree? If so, how are the extras?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Chrille wrote:I'm curious, did anyone get the new deluxe box thingamajig edition of The Joshua Tree? If so, how are the extras?
The vinyl version is on its way to me. Will let you know once I've had a chance to check it out.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
Chrille wrote:I'm curious, did anyone get the new deluxe box thingamajig edition of The Joshua Tree? If so, how are the extras?
The vinyl version is on its way to me. Will let you know once I've had a chance to check it out.
Arrived today and I'm listening to it now. I can't speak for what's in the CD/DVD box, but the vinyl has been beautifully put together. Two 180 gram vinyl discs (rather than all crammed onto two sides), a high-quality sleeve, a very nice booklet with a short essay on the album, lots of photos by Anton Corbijn and lyrics. Sounds absolutely majestic on my stereo - "With or Without You" just exploding to life and leaping out at you near the end, that great crack of the drums with The Edge's guitar soaring in on "Bullet the Blue Sky". Marvelous.
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

I'm curious WSS, what stereo, vinyl player & speakers are you using?

I've inherited my sister's old record player, it's probably 15 years old or so alltogether though I've used it for about three. It's a Dual 505-2. I'm thinking of buying something new though because it appears to be dying on me. For about a week now it's been emitting too much static electricity, sometimes it's so bad that there are small sparks when I flip sides and sometimes dust & dirt just won't come off :lol: .

Still waiting for my copy of In Rainbows. This weekend I traded about 10 shit cds for 6 second-hand vinyl albums ranging from great to excellent conditions.

Talking Heads' 'Remain In Light' & 'Speaking In Tongues'
Rickie Lee Jones' debut, never heard it before
Todd Rundgren's 'A Wizard, A True Star', never heard it before
Bruce Springsteen's 'Nebraska'. Incredible! It sounds so very much better on vinyl
Midnight Oil's '10,9,8,7...' and 'Red Sails In The Sunset' these also sound tons better on vinyl.

Also found new copies of Funeral and Neon Bible on vinyl!

What a great weekend :p
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Chrille wrote:I'm curious WSS, what stereo, vinyl player & speakers are you using?
Denon DRA-295 receiver, Technics SL-1210MK2 turntable, Yamaha NS-125F speakers.
mood swung

Re: Recent CD Purchases

Post by mood swung »

I found this in Best Buy, while I was shopping for the HSM cd Josephine wanted. Obviously, it was misfiled! So, I bought it, because it was only $9.95 and it seemed like destiny.

It has one or two moments, but most of it is the kind of sleaze you get when a RA punk gets divorced and his ex-wife publicly questions his manhood.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Otis Westinghouse

Re: Recent CD Purchases

£3 in Fopp, which was nice cos I was thinking the other day how I wanted Motorcycle Emptiness and La Tristesse Durera in the house. Both great songs. A band you can tire of easily, but they've done some great songs. Most of their best ones are here.
Also £3 in Fopp. First listen has left me largely cold. Sounds like a rather tired reworking of what was once a magic formula. Does it get better with repeated playing? Worth having and hearing for historical interest, but doesn't strike me as remotely comparable to the best of The Beach Boys.
£5 in Fopp. Not as fully developed as the splendid Begin To Hope, but has some lovely stuff to listen to, and more Regina is a good thing.

Also, DVD purchase, £5 in Fopp. Have a bootleg of this with other songs from the two nights in Dublin, but nice to see the dame in action so clearly enjoying every moment of it: