Ok Computer vs Get Happy

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Bob And Charlotte

Ok Computer vs Get Happy

Post by Bob And Charlotte »

distorted guitars and eerie atmospherics vs short, snappy, simple songs that go straight to the heart

they are both masterpieces and they couldn´t be more different.
this IS an Apple and Oranges discussion and i want to know which one you like most.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'd take Get Happy!! over OK Computer any day. Radiohead are good, but definitely overrated.

But of course I'm wrong because you know everything, Bob & Charlotte. I'm just a girl.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Bob And Charlotte

i definitely don´t know everything dear Blue, i only know much more than you do! and what´s that No Doubt quotation?
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Sparacus
Eggrert

B & C, I know you are one of them. 'Fess up!!!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

BlueChair wrote:I'd take Get Happy!! over OK Computer any day. Radiohead are good, but definitely overrated.

But of course I'm wrong because you know everything, Bob & Charlotte. I'm just a girl.
Don't agree that Radiohead are overrated.. But I would probably take Get Happy!! over OK Computer, because I might be tempted to end it all if OK Computer were all I had to listen to. Albums for different moods really.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Bob And Charlotte

cosmos wrote:Sparacus
Eggrert

B & C, I know you are one of them. 'Fess up!!!

WELL, let´s see:

1: I do love Street Legal
2: I don´t think of Bowie as bein´the best artist of the past 100 years
3: Blonde on Blonde is my favourite record of all time
4: The Strokes isn´t better than Dylan nowadays
5: Dylan isn´t on my top 5 actors of all time

well... in fact, i was King of Tyrus(bobdylan.com), or KoTyrus(eggrertmessageboard) and cursini(theolddylandiscussion).
marblefaun

Post by marblefaun »

Both are great but I'd have to go with Get Happy..if only for the way EC speaks to me personally.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Definitly Get Happy!!
Bob And Charlotte

Me too, GET HAPPY!
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I never got OK Computer. I purchased it. I invested in it. I just never got it. The hype was unbelieveable, bcause the hip hop thing was so overwhelming at the time of its release that I think people wanted really, really badly to get behind something that was different, seemingly intellectual, affective in an atmospheric sort of way, and cool.

Comparing Ok Computer and Get Happy is no comparison for me. But if I can make a suitable analogy, it would be like comparing "Blonde on Blonde" to the latest John Mayer record, or comparing Miles Davis to Herb Albert and the Tiajuana Brass. I think Herb is an exceptional trumpet player, and underrated, but he isn't qualified to empty a spit valve for Miles Davis.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Bob And Charlotte

1997 was a great year for popular music (stand as tall as 1991 or 1994).

Time Out Of Mind , If You're Feeling Sinister , Portishead , Trailer Park , Either / Or , Urban Hymns , Ladies & Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space...

good 'suitable analogy' anyway...
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Mr. Average wrote:Comparing Ok Computer and Get Happy is no comparison for me. But if I can make a suitable analogy, it would be like comparing "Blonde on Blonde" to the latest John Mayer record, or comparing Miles Davis to Herb Albert and the Tiajuana Brass. I think Herb is an exceptional trumpet player, and underrated, but he isn't qualified to empty a spit valve for Miles Davis.
There's nothing to "get". It's not a test. You either like OK Computer or you don't. And I gather that you don't.

A bit harsh on Radiohead to compare them to fluff like John Mayer and Herb Alpert. If Radiohead are guilty of anything, it's being too serious.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I didn't say they get an "A" or an "F" Sam. I said that I (me) do not get them. That remark is precisely in the spirit of your comment. It doesn' t mean that they are evil or sinister or untalented. I just don't "get" the hype and the excitement.

I stand behind my comparison. Herb Albert is considered a real pioneer and a great trumpet player. However, compared to Miles, in my opinion, he is Richard Dreyfus in Mr. Hollands Opus.

And while I cannot stand the John Mayer stuff, he has a huge following, and there are people who swear that he is a great talent.

I don't get it. But he does. In more ways than one. All the way to the bank.

Get Happy is the antithesis of serious with regard to the mood it creates. But it is quite 'serious' songwriting and expression. It may sound effortless and fun, but I wonder how Elvis has ranked it in terms of the raw effort to get the product from concept to market. I suppose it was much more challenging than the tone of the songs suggest.

I find it very challenging to be concise (shocking, I know). But Elvis managed to build great songs that are the definition of concise without a single ounce of fat, fluff, or novelty for the sake of novelty. I just imagine that it is very hard work to whittle these songs down to a less then 2.5 minutes each and not leave the listener feeling like they are hearing a truncated version of the song.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Mr. Average wrote:I didn't say they get an "A" or an "F" Sam. I said that I (me) do not get them. That remark is precisely in the spirit of your comment. It doesn' tmean that thaey are evil or sinister or untalented. I just don't "get" the hype and the excitement.

I stand behind my comparison. Herb Albert is considered a real pioneer and a great trumpet player. However, compared to Miles, in my opinion, he is Richard Dreyfus in Mr. Hollands Opus.

And while I cannot stand the JOhn Mayer stuff, he has a huge following, and there are people who swear that he is a great talent.

I don't get it. But he does. In more ways than one. All the way to the bank.

Get Happy is the antithesis of serious with regard to the mood it creates. But it is quite 'serious' songwriting and expression. It may sound effortless and fun, but I wonder how Elvis has ranked it in terms of the raw effort to get the product from concept to market. I suppose it was much more challenging than the tone of the songs suggest.

I find it very challenging to be concise (shocking, I know). But Elvis managed to build great songs that are the definition of concise without a single ounce of fat, fluff, or novelty for he sake of novelty. I just imagine that it is very hard work to whittle these songs down to a less then 2.5 minutes each and not leave the listener feeling like they are hearing a truncated version of the song.
Fair enough. Different strokes, as they say.

For the record, Get Happy!! is probably my favroite EC album, precisely for many of the reasons you describe.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Mr. Average wrote:I just imagine that it is very hard work to whittle these songs down to a less then 2.5 minutes each and not leave the listener feeling like they are hearing a truncated version of the song.
I can't say Elvis succeeds with every attempt. Should I cough out "the imposter"?
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Go back to my list, Whar. I think the imposter is a great song. It hits hard then gets out............

Trying to be too bad
Trying to talk too tough
Trying to jack the lad
You'd think he'd had enough

But he's not the man you'd think that he can be
I just don't know why you can't see
That he is only the imposter
That he is only the imposter

You've never been this far
You've always been too smart
And you know all our boys
Are really girls at heart

But he's not...

When I said that I was lying I might have been lying
Never let me hear you say you're not trying

This is your big decision
Hope you're not disappointed
He's got double vision
When you want him double jointed

And he's not...

He'll only bring you souvenirs
It's only gonna end in tears
And he is only the imposter
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Thanks Sam. I appreciate your comments.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Mr. Average, I completely agree with you about "The Imposter" - brilliant song, both musically and lyrically.

And as for OK Computer - for me this is where Radiohead started to become a bit too serious for the sake of it, and consequently lost the plot on the following two albums (no offence, WSS).
I think about half of OK Computer is very good indeed, but calling it The Best Album of All Time by Q Magazine readers a couple of years ago was ridiculous.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

If OK Computer had a set of songs as-good-or-better than "Paranoid Android", it would definitly be superior to "Get Happy!!". Musically, it probably already is. But, "Get Happy!!" is one of my favorite albums, and "OK Computer" is just an album I respect (it suits only certain moods in certain months).
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

OK Computer is definitely an essential album in my mind, but it just doesn't thrill me the way Get Happy does!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Since this is as arbitrary a matchup as I've ever seen (may as well ask Kiss vs. Tom Tom Club), I'll qualify my answer.

I pick OK Computer over Get Happy!! because I think it's a flawless record, right down to the last *ding*. It's probably my favorite Radiohead record. I love Get Happy!!, and it's high up in my top ten Elvis records, but I'd rather listen to TYM or AF (and probably Trust). Since no one specified that we must choose between these discs as the only disc to listen to for the rest of our lives, I'm assuming I can have a favorite Elvis disc and a favorite Radiohead disc.

If you are making me pick between Radiohead and Elvis, then Elvis wins, of course.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Cope: "AF and Trust = 8======>"
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Both Kiss and the Tom Tom Club featured Kevin Bacon, a little known fact. So the match-up is not as arbitrary as it may seem.
Pov

Post by Pov »

Mr. Average wrote:Both Kiss and the Tom Tom Club featured Kevin Bacon, a little known fact. So the match-up is not as arbitrary as it may seem.
That's less than six degrees, you know.
Pov

Post by Pov »

I'll have to give OK Computer another listen. The first few times I tried to listen to it I couldn't get very far.

Now, if the comparison were with Yankee Hotel Foxtrot I'd have to say that Get Happy isn't even close.