- When did Ron ever smile in photos? He's always had that lugubrious, hang-dog look. He seemed relaxed and happy at the RAH, and made lots of funny comments between songs as ever.
- Setlist here: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/ron-sexsm ... b6590.html
Pretty similar to Belfast's with a few changes. 10 of the 28 songs from FE, 4 from LPLB, 4 from R, 4 from RS, 2 from CR, 1 from TB, 1 from DU, 1 from BB, 1 from OS. 0, sadly, from W, ESOTS or Rarities. Excellent though the new record is, I'd have preferred a bit more of an all-time classic Ron list for this very special show, but then again a) fair dues for him wanting to play these new songs and b) I now appreciate it far better, as is always the case. The level of quality of some of the stuff not played is insane, but then so is that of what was played.
- Me, Myself and Wine was great. Just Ron and Mercer on acoustic and bass, with Kerr, Mathis and Bovaconti all around one mike, singing and playing percussion. Sneak Out the Back Door is indeed wonderful and was great live. Interesting that Back of My Hand wasn't there, but nor was it in Belfast. Must feel it doesn't work well live. Blind Eye was very powerful.
- Much as I love Cobb Run as an album, its somewhat quirky mannerisms still hugely preferable to the nauseating Californian sunshine bleached auto-tuned nightmare of the bland world of Bob Rock (had to get that in), you simply can't beat Former Glory solo. Click on the play icon of the above setlist link for a prime example. And played as a show opener at the RAH, well I had to fight back the tears or I would have totally lost it. It's one of those perfect, perfect Ron songs that manages to be uplifting and yet never sentimental or cheesy.
- I think Secret Heart and Strawberry Blonde have both been played at each and every of the 10+ Ron gigs I've seen. Both are masterpieces and get me every time.
- Shame I didn't convert you, VG. My that was a bargain you saw. I read it was 75% full, but that's still getting on for 4,000. there were even a few up in the gods, which is up in the ether somewhere. All the stalls and tiered area pretty well full.
- Several clips each of recent Berlin and Amsterdam gigs and curiously little from this. First one indicates the one major problem with the sound: annoyingly fat, flabby and echoey sound on the snare drum. Otherwise it was very good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Uo6KRFMGt8
This 6 seconder captures the mood of elation at the end. I think that may well be my wife whooping: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yryy84wtLU