Dallas Cowboys to release Quincy Carter

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Actually, they aren't doing the right thing. They are going too far.

This is not the suggested action to be taken on an athlete who fails a drug test.

Besides, what do you have to say about this quote?
"I'm shocked. I'm at a loss for words," Carter told the newspaper. "The one thing I know and the people who have been around me all my life know is that cocaine has never been an issue for me. It never will be. And it's disturbing that a rumor like that would come out."

Lets see the proof, as well.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

It's funny you posted that quote, WHAR. I read it this morning and something bothered me about it. "Cocaine has never been an issue with me".....that sounds like a heavily-veiled way of saying that he uses it but doesn't think he abuses it.

He really doesn't come right out and deny it, does he?

These guys make a ton of money to play a GAME!! It's not too much to ask for them to lay off the drugs, is it?
Last edited by cosmos on Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Noise, I agree with you about the athletes ans coke thing, the guy should be banned.,
But how is it unsafe to people in the stands?
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

The people in the stands thing was hyperbole. I was kidding.

WHAR if you'll read my post I said "if" the rumor is verified, he got what he deserves. If it wasn't drugs then , what was it? When that's made known, I'll let you know how I feel about the decision. But the rumor is not unfounded (per a friend of mine who works in sports radio in Dallas), so I still think that's the most likely answer at this point.

And if it is drugs, then there's no way they can conscientiously keep him on the team. You can't have guys flaunting the law like that and endangering lives like that in these positions. No amount of talent makes up for it.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I'm convinced it was drugs. Everyone knows the rules, so he'll sit for a while and someone else will pick him up. Good news for my fantasy football team though, Drew Henson is 4th on my depth chart and I wasn't expecting him to take a snap this year.

It's interesting that both teams that moved to Baltimore were nicknamed the Browns.

I'm glad some of the teams retained their names (Braves, Giants, Athletics and Dodgers) -

The Jazz is a stupid name for a team in Utah. Almost as stupid as the Phoenix Cardinals (although LC might like that one) - who changed the name of their location.

I'm glad they're still the Lakers, so I can refer to them as the Fakers.

More annoying to me are the NY Jets and NY Giants who both play in Jersey.

What do people think about the derogatory potrayal of North American Indians in sports nicknames? A lot of people don't see it - but can you imagine if the Indians replaced Chief Wahoo with a cartoon stereotype of a guy from Calcutta?
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

These aren't the rules. You are not supposed to cut a player based on drugs... that is why Parcells has denied that as the reason. If it were, Carter could file a grievance and get a lot of money out of the Dallas Cowboys organization.

There is a reason for the NFL substance abuse program. A suspension was the suitable punishment.

He did, however, fail a drug test. But, nobody knows what the substance was, it could have been marijuana.
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

[quote="wehitandrun"]reason. If it were, Carter could .... get a lot of money out of the Dallas Cowboys organization.
[quote]

He already has......

And Noise, being a Cleveland Brown fan I am 100% behind you on the taking of names, that was the only brightness that came from Modell moving.

How do you move a team away when you're still pulling in 55-60,000 people per game when the team had a 5-11 record????? Bastard....I'm just happy to know that because of that he will NEVER get into the Hall of Fame.
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

I miss the old days when the entire Raiders team was hung over and on a coke binge, and then showed up and kicked ass! :lol:
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

WHAR,

Just about any employer has a drug clause anymore. If I show up to work with alcohol in my system, they don't let me around the kids anymore. And while they might try to provide treatment, my ass will be fired. That's the way it ought to work.

Chris Rock said it best about Marion Barry: "Smoked crack, got his job back. You smoke crack at McDonald's, they won't let you around the Happy Meals. You better get your ass to Hardee's. How the hell do you tell a kid not to do drugs, when the mayor on crack? 'Don't do drugs, you won't be nothing.' 'I could be mayor!'"

Carter better get his ass over to Hardee's. Or the equivalent--the Seahawks.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Sadly, the Seahawks wouldn't take him. Carter should be filing a grievance soon, and he should be doing.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Why would he file a grievance? The Cowboys (and any other team) don't need to give an explanation as to why a player is cut. All they have to say is that they had a surplus at qb (which they did)...end of story.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

d his contract stipulates that he can be released under circumstances relating to a failed drug test. If he failed a drug test, he violated hid conytract. End of story, dude. And not a legal leg to stand on to file any sort of grievance. I don't understand why, if Carter has been abusing drugs, in violation of the law and his contract (not to mention the horrible publicity it gives to a team and the stigma the fans have to deal with)--with all that, should he be allowed to play? How is he the victim here? Doesn't he have to take responsibility for his actions? Or is talent the get out of jail free card no matter what you did?
--William Shakespeare
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

The last question in your post seems to be the case these days, Noise.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I'm afraid you're right, and that's a damn shame.
--William Shakespeare
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

noise, it's the truth. They COULD NOT cut him for his failing the drug test. I don't know the exact stipulations, and I did not write his contract. This is why they didn't say it was because of the drug test during their last press conference.

It obviously wasn't because of Carter on-the-field, because two days before he got cut Parcells said "Quincy has a leg up for the starting job".
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

IF the Cowboys had come out and said they cut Carter because of a failed drug test, they'd be violating the rules. But they haven't said that.

Why is it that no other team has signed Quincy yet?
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

They don't want to deal with another coke head on the team?
--William Shakespeare
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

ESPN reports that Carter was given an ultimatum from Parcells and Jones to keep his nose clean. He didn't and they stuck to it. I hate the Cowboys and I have never liked Jones or Parcells. I grew up in Georgia and love the Bulldogs and have pulled for Quincy Carter. But in this case, I say good for the Cowboys org. to stick to their guns with an athlete who did not take them seriously. I hope for Carter's sake that he gets his personal life together. It is much more important that wheather or not he ever plays football again.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Well said all around.
--William Shakespeare
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Lifelong Cowboys fan, gotta agree with Noise and others on this issue. Also, the reason the team isn't officially saying anyting is because its NFL policy to not 'officially' talk about drug cases and releases. If the player chooses to, that's their prerogative, but the team and NFL issue an official no comment.

If we hold our athletes to different laws than 'regular' people we are truly sending a bad message. I don't care if athletes or musicians aren't role models, illegal behavior is just that. All that said, Go Cowboys! (And Saints!)
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

pophead2k, no. They aren't talking about the drugs because they can't cut him based on his violating the substance abuse policy. That's that.

http://www.dallascowboys.com

I've repeated myself too much, just read up on it yourselves before you take it to the trenches.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Why hasn't anyone else signed Quincy? Doesn't that make you wonder a little bit?
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

They probably don't trust him- he did just violate the substance abuse policy. Plus, he's underrated.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

wehitandrun wrote:They probably don't trust him- he did just violate the substance abuse policy. Plus, he's underrated.
That's hilarious. You understand why every other team in the NFL would not trust Carter for abusing drugs in violation of his contract, but you can't understand why Dallas would be inclined to feel that same way? And maybe they think he's overrated. They would know best.
--William Shakespeare
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

noise, i was expecting you to make that exact post. It is completely different when dealing with teams looking at a potential prospect, than a team who has that player.

Regardless- I never said they should trust them, I said it is in the rules that they cannot cut him. I am right. Deal with it.

Oh, and it was my opinion that they should keep him and play him with coke on his nose- I didn't expect them to.