Hejira

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Hejira

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Today's music selection - Joni Mitchell's "Hejira". What a soooo-perb album. Incredible lyricist, beautiful arrangements. Especially "Amelia" and "Hejira".
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Yes, superb, WSS? I've been playing The Hissing Of Summer Lawns into the garden today, much to the amusement of my sister's boyfriend.

Others bought today from Sister Ray, Soho:

Can't Stand The Rezillos - Rezillos
Best of Sam & Dave
Roots Music: An American Journey
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Here's one for ya... Canadian kid (BlueChair) goes to England to study for a year, discovers that he loves a Canadian woman's music who he simply couldn't connect with before.

The album that did me in was Hejira. What a beautiful record by a Canadian woman that will forever remind me of England.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I like that Blue, and it's such unEnglish music, but I know what you mean.

It's just a great LP, innit? I must buy some of her earlier ones, and Shadows and Light (live one done after Hejira, same band inc. Jaco on bass). Haven't played HOSL for ages, must dom God knows we've haad the weather for it. EC loves Edith And The Kingpin.

Anyone know Mingus? That's great too. Similar band again, with some amazing Jaco. Mingus's Goodbye Pork Pie Hat with yrics by Joni is awesome, as is The Wolf That Lives In Lyndsey.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

My sister loves MINGUS, and I used to hear it some when she was home from college-- I must get back to that one.

Surely you're all sick of my slobbering over SHADOWS AND LIGHT but really I can't say enough good things about it. WSS, wiat till you hear AMELIA seque into HEJIRA via a beautiful Pat Metheny solo. It maybe just because I knew S&L before the HEJIRA LP, but I just love the live takes on these tracks better-- the 2 just mentioned, plus COYOTE, FURRY SINGS THE BLUES, and BLACK CROW. Plus great renditions of EDITH.. and GOODBYE PORK PIE HAT-- the vocals on that alone will kill ya. Hearing Jaco do bass on the classic IN FRANCE THEY KISS ON MAIN STREET makes you realise how jazzy it always was, and how brilliant. And DREAMLAND with Don Elias (sp?) is addictive. The only tragedy is that they cut Don's solo from the CD version, which led into DREAMLAND...

Okay, I'll stop now!!
Otis Westinghouse

Bastards! So you have to get it on vinyl for the real McCoy? I want that solo. Must get the LP anyway. My mate used to play it to me. Why Do Fools Fall In Love?!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I picked up Joni's 'Mingus' today on the way home from work. $9.99 CDN! Not too bad! I also finally picked up the Rhino Armed Forces reissue. And finally some Motown with The Four Tops - Ultimate Collection. Bernadette!
Otis Westinghouse

Friends: 'Happy birthday to you...

... How old are you?'

Mingus: '54, motherfucker'...

Sue: 'No he's not, he's 52!'
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I can tell this album is going to take me a while to digest.
Otis Westinghouse

God Must Be A Boogie Man! That's pretty immediate, ain't it?
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Big Mingus fan here. And I had never heard of him (I don't think) until I was introduced via Elvis. I've been listening lately to Weird Nightmare. I think it's an incredibly fascinating record.

I own no Joni (or Neil Young) records....I know, I know.....unbelievable.
So where should I start, any suggestions?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

We're talking about the Joni Mitchell record "Mingus", but Charles is cool too :D

For Joni I'd recommend starting with Blue and Hejira
for Neil I'd recommend starting with After The Goldrush and Harvest
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Otis, you're right to be miffed about Don's Solo... he's amazing on that whole record, and the solo leading into DREAMLAND is a classic. The CD version also omits BLACK CROW (I just realised) and FREE MAN IN PARIS. Heresy!!! I really must resurrect my vinyl, and this is one of the best reasons why... Lordy I hate to think what sort of shape it's in and WHERE it IS....

I agree with those starting Joni selections, thought I might suggest COURT AND SPARK in place of BLUE (the latter is unstoppably great, but the former is a better representative of the early stuff, and it's got more emotional range, from beautifully, sobbingly melancholic to hilariously funny).
Otis Westinghouse

Omitting Black Crow is total fucking sacrilege, that's one of my absolute faves, stunning bass. I had Court and spark on tape in Madrid, and it's disppeared somewhere along the way. How I hate that.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I went on a mission today, and succeeded. I now own SHADOWS & LIGHT on vinyl, and I just dropped the needle on it. A great "In France They Kiss On Main Street" is entertaining me now.

My vinyl adventure also resulted in the purchase of Split Enz's 'FRENZY' album and Rockpile's 'Seconds of Pleasure'
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

BlueChair wrote:My vinyl adventure also resulted in the purchase of Split Enz's 'FRENZY' album and Rockpile's 'Seconds of Pleasure'
BC, Don't know Frenzy, but look out for "True Colours" (I Got You, Poor Boy, I Hope I Never"..)
Otis Westinghouse

Blue: that was quick! Am very jealous! I'm just fantasising about it. Will be much harder in a small place like Cambridge.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Yes, quick indeed... faster than I could rummage through the Sam's Club of crap that is my basement, but that's not saying much....
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'm just that resourceful.. and THANK YOU selfmademug for introducing me to an album I probably wouldn't have discovered.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

You are most welcome, Mr. Chair! I've been a broken record (so to speak) advocating for S&L because I just adore it. I think, actually, that it'd be the record I'd take to the proverbial desert island, if I could only take one.

I'm really interested to hear what you (and Otis eventually, and Bunny, and others if possible) think of the versions of the Hejira tracks on S&L--cause I prefer them to the studio versions, though you know it is, sometimes it's a matter of what you heard first and know best, and I had S&L first.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Blue Chair wrote:
My vinyl adventure also resulted in the purchase of Split Enz's 'FRENZY' album and Rockpile's 'Seconds of Pleasure'
and how did you like Seconds? It's a favorite of mine. Great music, great muscianship. in my opinion.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I listened to all three once through last night, and can honestly say I enjoy them all immensely. Shadows & Light is definitely my favourite, but having always liked the more fast paced Nick Lowe tunes, the Rockpile record is also great. The Split Enz record actually reminds me a lot of Squeeze, although at times it's a bit more 80's.

And SMM, I can see why you'd like the versions of the Hejira songs on Shadows & Light better. "Amelia" is very well done.. as is "Black Crow." But honestly, I think it's the songs from Hissing Of Summer Lawns which sound better live to me.
Otis Westinghouse

Grrrr, wanted to hear Black Crow was a bummer! Why did the bastards leave it off the CD. Saw this today in wonderful, bargain-stuffed Fopp for all of £5. Hilarious that the CD notes actually spell out the items omitted due to lack of space, but why those ones? Found a vinyl section downstairs with Joni at least indexed, butno vinyl there! So do I buy cheapo CD, or hold out for decent eBay or other source vinyl? Am really keen to get it now.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

"Seconds of Pleasure" is Dave Edmunds greatest Acheivement. It is a must have recording if you appreciate Nick Lowe, Elvis, Rock and Roll.

It is not Nick Lowes Greatest acheivement.

That should stimulate a thread.
Mr. Average

Dry Cleaner from Des Moines

Post by Mr. Average »

If you know Mingus, and have listened to and appreciated record like "Cumbia nd Jazz Fusion" or the classic "Mingus Ahh Um", then you cannot help but like Joni's homage to the man. The interview sound clips on the record that seque sbetween some of the songs are thrilling to me. "I never been a rich man, buttumm, y'know, I always had a few pennies in my pocket" seamlessly leads into a dizzying Jaco Pastorius (Good rest his Junkie Soul) bass riff that opens the only real accessible 'single" from the record, "Dry Cleaner from Des Moines".

[The Dry Cleaner from Des Moines
Can Put a Coin
In the Door of a 'john'
And Get Twenty for One]

Great stuff.

- 1.645 SD's from the Mean