Steve Forbert Fans: Who Are You?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
El Vez

Steve Forbert Fans: Who Are You?

Post by El Vez »

I've really gotten into his music in the past three months and it has been a joyous discovery. His name pops up here from time to time and I just wanted to get a pulse on who on the board is a fan.

I was lucky enough to see him perform at City Stages last weekend and he played a wonderful set. I really like every single album of his that I've gotten my hands on. His new one, Just Like There's Nothing To It, has a serious Song of The Year candidate with its leadoff track, What It Is Is A Dream. There's something about a raspy-voiced singer/songwriter armed with a guitar and a harmonica brace that just speaks directly to my soul. Plus, pedal steel whiz Dan Dugmore gets off some glorious licks. The whole album is a fine, fine piece of work and if you are a fan of The Band then you should check out Wild As The Wind (A Tribute to Rick Danko) which is a pretty moving, fun and honest (Rick DID like his cocaine) toast to a fallen great.
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

It is ironic that you posted this. I was given one of his cd's from 1995 and I was not only blown away at how good the songs, the writing, the lyrics were and how interesting his voice is but I was shocked that I had never heard of him before. Where have I been.

Anyone who has not listened to Forbert is missing out.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

I double-checked on http://www.allmusic.com and the cd you scored was Mission of The Crossroad Palms. Along with The Streets of This Town, that is considered one of his best mid-period albums and, unfortunately, both are somewhat difficult to find.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I love Steve Forbert. I was a fan back in the day when 'Romeo's Tune' hit the top 40 and rediscovered him with the Kinks tribute CD This Is Where I Belong. His version of 'Starstruck' sounds like something he should have (and could have) written. Great artist.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Pop,

If you don't already have it, you should really check out Young, Guitar Days. Lots of good to great songs from the Alive on Arrival and Jackrabbit Slim sessions as well as the two albums that immediately followed. Also included is a fun take on In The Jailhouse Now and a JAWDROPPING version of Suspicion.

That was a nifty Starstruck, wasn't it?
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 77-8624131
I heartily agree with all El Vez's comments about this album, I Married A Girl being my favourite. This album just gets better with every play, defintely one of the best so far this year.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

I love his first four LPs, Alive On Arrival in particular, and just got Young Guitar Days which was great after the first listen. Will check out the new one when I get a chance, but don't have my hopes set too high, 'cause I partly love those early records because he sounds so young and wide-eyed and really missed that on Streets Of This Town and another, newer album I bought cheap and gave to someone who's a bigger fan. (It could've been called Rocking Horse Road, or is that just Elvis messing with my head?) Haven't given up on him though. Of course, he doesn't visit Sweden much, so yes I'm jealous.
What this world needs is more silly men.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

FYI
Steve is making stuff available for downloading at a reasonable price.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Like Elvis, Steve has put together a dvd collection.
DVD Anthology | You Cannot Win If You Do Not Play
Steve's career-anthology DVD, You Cannot Win If You Do Not Play, is now available! Created and produced by John O'Loughlin, the 90-minute program contains twenty-one songs from promotional videos and live concerts, including videos of "Schoolgirl" (1980) and "Ya Ya" (1982), right on through to "Autumn This Year" performed in Buellton, California, in the fall of 2004. This collection also includes interview segments from different points in the 27-year time span. Having been some years (3) in preparation, a splendid time is guaranteed for all.

The DVD includes the following:

Schoolgirl (Promo Video 1980)
Goin' Down To Laurel (Live 1983)
Ya Ya (Next To Me) (Promo Video 1982)
Say Goodbye To Little Jo (Promo Video 1979)
Responsibility (Live 1994)
What Kinda Guy? (Live 1988)
Romeo's Tune (Promo Video 1979)
Mexico (Live 1992)
Hope, Faith And Love (Live 1988)
The Sweet Love That You Give (Promo Video 1979)
On The Streets Of This Town (Live 1994)
Oh, To Be Back With You (Solo Live 1994)
Down By The Sally Gardens (Live 1980)
It Sure Was Better Back Then (Promo Video 1995)
Born Too Late (Live 1992)
Good Planets Are Hard To Find (PBS Live 1996)
On The Streets Of This Town (Promo Video 1988)
My Rough And Rowdy Ways (PBS Live 2003)
Wild As The Wind (PBS Solo Live 2003)
Romeo's Tune (Live 1992)
You Can Not Win If You Do Not Play (Live 1988)

DVD Extras
Autumn This Year (Solo Live 2004)
Get Well Soon (Promo Video 1980)

The DVD is NTSC and region free
As you can see it's a pretty comprehensive. The only slight drawback is that most of it is clearly transferred from video sources, still it's all good stuff.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I only know Jackrabbit Slim, but that was a fantastic record start to finish. Maybe my first step will be to get that on CD, cause the vinyl is long gone and I haven't heard anything beyond Romeo's Tune in years and years...
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

If you like Jackrabbit Slim, you'll love Alive On Arrival.

Whenever that stuttering harmonica intro to Goin' Down To Laurel pops up on one of my car comp tapes my smile reaches my ears.
What this world needs is more silly men.
Miss Macbeth

Post by Miss Macbeth »

Up until about two months ago, I'd never heard of the man...went to Barnes and Noble and just picked up "Just Like There's Nothing To It" to have a listen...WOW...then about a week later Oily mentioned him on a post here and I realized he was really popular here. I'm glad, because nobody else knows who the hell he is. I'm gettin "Jack Rabbit Slim" next.
"Did you ever think there's far too many people in the world"?
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

My Lord, just how young WAS he when he released this?!?