Ray Davies

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Hollyh --

Uncle! I give. Glad to have Ray in the not-conservative fold! As an EC fan of longstanding, I know what it is to have to explain your favorite artist to others.

Thanks again for the info!
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
hollyh

Post by hollyh »

Yes, I've had to explain Elvis as well to a few folks. But not nearly as many as I've had to explain Ray Davies to. OK, I'd understand if they didn't recognize Ray's name, he hasn't done much as a solo artist -- but it's really upsetting when they have no idea who the Kinks are (I refuse to say "were" -- they will be back!).

I had some Stones fans also tell me they felt in the same boat -- they feel the general public doesn't really know the Rolling Stones. :shock: Meaning, I guess, that they have to tell people over and over that there's more to the Stones than "Jumping Jack Flash" and "Satisfaction." Okaaay, I guess that is really too bad. But the Stones have made their own pact with the devil and have been paid handsomely for it. Real artists like Ray Davies and Elvis Costello keep trying new things, even at the risk of losing that mass audience (over and over and over again...) You've gotta love that.
Mansize_Rooster_87

Post by Mansize_Rooster_87 »

i just wanna say that other peoples lives is a pretty good album. Next door neighbour is a fantastic tune,real old kinks style. There are some funny moments like stand up comic and serious personal tunes like things are gonna change! its a diverse record,his voice is in good form and his band is on song to. If you like the early kinks material you wont be dissapointed,its nothing groundbreaking for him but when the tunes are great what can you say. Still good to see him making music again, a great character!

fav songs: next door neighbour,creatures of little faith,is there life after breakfast.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Don't know if this was posted anywhere, but this interview from last April was re-broadcast on Fresh Air this week -

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=6685386
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.