Top 5 most patronising phrases used by people on this board

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Quite right. People often DO miss obvious sarcasm.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

If you think I have a problem with you, noise, you could've at least had the common courtesy of PM'ing me before publicly charging forth-with, clutching an unwarranted assumption from a harmless comment. I'm almost tempted to say I expected nothing less.

Oh well. If I weren't so tired, hung over and had a mountain of work to finish I'd offer up halfway decent retorts to this childish argument. Instead, I shall try to process the thought of an American telling (and, dear lord!, pointing out to) a Brit they have overlooked obvious sarcasm. How very thoughtful of you.

Carry on this argument by all means, but please don't mistake me for someone who actually gives a fuck.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

:lol:
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Um, see it was just a joke. That was the whole point. I used four of the five of Jackson's annoying statements in the same message after you joked that I had used them all. See? The whole post was a construct--an excuse to use as many of them as possible. And that's all. The fact you thought I was actually trying to argue with you is unfortunate. I have no problem with you at all, and I thought that by putting the phrases in bold print in the original post, that would be clear. Sorry to have been misunderstood, honestly. Just having a laugh. And I'm certainly not trying to argue with you.

On behalf of thickie Americans everywhere,

noise
Last edited by noiseradio on Tue May 04, 2004 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I love it when people feel the need to explain their jokes in detail so we understand...
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

um....errr..oooppps...sorry folks....I appear to have started this.....

:oops: :oops:
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

JACKSON NOISE AND POP : Go to your rooms - all of you for timeout!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Jackson Doofster

awww...but mum... :cry:
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

bambooneedle wrote:I love it when people feel the need to explain their jokes in detail so we understand...
When one's not being understood, what else to do?

Sorry everyone. I wanted to make a joke. Didn't work. Leave it to bamboo to point out how. I'm off.
--William Shakespeare
Jackson Doofster

Noise

I knew it was a joke. I remember my old buddy Otis getting really pissed with me in the early days, when I typed something he thought was a personal attack. I guess these things can happen. As Howard Jones once warbled....no one is to blame...
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

aw damn. looks like this feature may be ending.

don't mind me folks. i'm giggly, in an attempt to not lash out and smack my friends for being stupid. and, i'm not even talking about you guys. amazing, eh?
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

"There is Only One Master of Life and Death"
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

"What!? You don't know all the words to 'Baby Pictures'????"
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

"There is Only One Master of Life and Death"

Noiseradio? 8)
signed with love and vicious kisses
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

I haven’t the faintest idea as to why you thought I didn’t know it was a joke. Pointing out the obvious must get pretty tiring, eh? No, the reason for my growing pissed off-ness is this:
noiseradio wrote:Slagging people while they're not even around? That's a new low.
You see, like most people I don't take too kindly to being accused of something I didn't do. The fact that you continue to gloss over this comment, relying on the ‘joke’ crap you’re spouting to do so, is really rather annoying. Again, if you think I’m being unreasonable about this, PM me.

Oh, and by managing to woefully misinterpret a Brit/American culture quirk, your "On behalf of thickie Americans everywhere" will hopefully not turn a whole nation against me.

"Fuck it, Dude, let's go bowling."

So nice to see you back. No, really.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Noise Noise, when will it end?
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

POP,

The slagging bit was part of the joke, believe it or not. Funny or not. My tone doesn't come across. I'm sorry. Can't be helped at this point. The whole post was loaded with sarcasm. You made a joke, and I made one back. You thought I was accusing, but I didn't mean to come across that way. That's all. What a mess.

WHAR,

Right this moment. Honest to God.
--William Shakespeare
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Jackson Doofster wrote:I remember my old buddy Otis getting really pissed with me in the early days, when I typed something he thought was a personal attack.
Hey Monkhead, slagging me off when I'm out earning the bacon? I dunno. What gives you the right? How dare you make out that I'm so sensitive about things! WTF did I think was a personal attack, anyhow?

PS If you wanna step outside, send me a PM.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Fuck it..lets do it here and now :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :evil: ....maybe We can tag up. Me and PoP against you and Noise................nah...better still......all of us can beat up WHAR :lol: :lol: :lol:
corruptio optimi pessima
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

How many have noticed how inane, unsubstantive, and silly the majority of posts to this board have become?

What Pets do you have?
For the 100th time, list your top 5 songs
What are you doing RIGHT NOW?
Isn't Steve cute?
Diana Krall's see through outfits...Va Va Va Voom!

Even the Foyles are posting less, and that is not a good omen for things to come. I miss the days when every time I logged in I learned something of interest. Actually, the forum was once genuinely informative about Elvis Costello and his music...can you imagine that!?

So in the spirit of this thread, and the general direction of this board:

"John Kerry is a big poopy-pants, sleeps with mountain goats, and thinks that Diana Krall is a transexual"

No wonder quality and critical thinkers like NoiseRadio are spending (wasting) less time here.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

You may not have noticed, but there is still a forum devoted to Elvis Costello and his music and there are still occassional threads that are informative - I suppose realistically, there is only so much new information that can be presented over a period of time, so there has to be a lot of filler if the board is to survive - no one will come if there is only one new topic posted every few days.

As for your complaint with regards to the Annex... so what? No one is asking you to read these threads or forcing you in any way to respond. You are free to start your own discussion threads if you wish (and I know you occassionally do) and those who are of a like mind are free to respond... those not of a like mind are equally entitled to engage in debate.

Sometimes though, "inane, unsubstantive, and silly" can be a nice break from inane, substantive, and silly ;)
Mr. Average wrote:How many have noticed how inane, unsubstantive, and silly the majority of posts to this board have become?

What Pets do you have?
For the 100th time, list your top 5 songs
What are you doing RIGHT NOW?
Isn't Steve cute?
Diana Krall's see through outfits...Va Va Va Voom!

Even the Foyles are posting less, and that is not a good omen for things to come. I miss the days when every time I logged in I learned something of interest. Actually, the forum was once genuinely informative about Elvis Costello and his music...can you imagine that!?

So in the spirit of this thread, and the general direction of this board:

"John Kerry is a big poopy-pants, sleeps with mountain goats, and thinks that Diana Krall is a transexual"

No wonder quality and critical thinkers like NoiseRadio are spending (wasting) less time here.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

MR Average: Much as I love you - lighten up! We know its an Elvis board but we do have other things to say that dont always have the word Elvis in it! So what if we all act a little silly sometimes and have a laugh? How on earth is anyones personality going to come through otherwise? The world is a serious place and we all have problems - I come here for a little light relief amongst people I genuinely like. I can honestly say I thoroughly enjoy reading ALL the posts on here, and it would be sooo boring if they were all about Elvis! :D
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Well, good to see that cleared up. Let's not turn this into a free-for-all slanging match. Hey! A lot can happen in 12 hours, and now it's only a matter of time before I say something I'll regret to the people who irritate the hell of out me. Weeee!!! I wasn't even sane the last time that idea was bounced around in my head, but I am now. Scary. I'd better go.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Personally I only come here to check Crow's clever ever-changing avatar, to see if our beloved Utilitarian Bunny has returned, hear VG and Doof's wordplay, learn from the wise Pip & LJ, flirt with Otis and say hi to the rest of you lovely folks. Am I missing something?

Oh, right, Elvis!

8)
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Lordy, I just step outside to duff up that cheeky Monkdoofster and his gang, and I find the gorgeous Ms Mug flirting with me! What's a boy to do? Quick, better be careful, I think I hear teacher returning...
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more