What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
verbal gymnastics

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Otis - my current fave of The Smiths is Girlfriend in a coma.

There was a Rockpalast show of The Smiths on Sky Arts from the early 80s which was fab. They played a few songs twice.

They also had a European Morrissey show on a little while ago.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

I'm listening to Morrissey a lot these days. "That's how people grow up" is my favourite.

I recall being sad because of some guy and a friend quoted it to me:

"I was driving my car
I crashed and broke my spine
So yes there are things worse in life
Than never being someone's sweetie"

It completely changed the way I see life from that moment on. That's how people grow up, indeed. :p
“Between tenderness and brute force.”

Last FM
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Saw the Rockpalast too (I always check out what's on Sky Arts as they have some gems on there). Fabulous stuff.

'Girlfriend in a Coma' is a favourite of mine too. Moz played it at the Brixton Academy in 2009. Delicious. It's over so soon, but stays in the mind so long. Great singing.

For those into The Smiths and on spotify, here's a rather wonderful take on a handful of their classics:
http://open.spotify.com/album/5DrgmeKcwepeQCFy7MTs0t

(String quartet arrangements by the Vitamin String Quartet, who seem to churn out handfuls of albums a year, with similar arrangements of Arcade Fire, and Joy Division/New Order among the scores of them on spotify.)

I too love 'That's How People Grow Up'. At the time of its release, a reviewer cited those very lines as an example of how the once brilliant wit of Moz seemed to have become entirely lost, but I thought they were both poignant and funny. Was talking to someone the other day about how good much of Years of Refusal is. Lots of very powerful songs. We were both at the above-cited Brixton gig and had a blast. They were great songs to hear live.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
verbal gymnastics

People paint Morrissey (and Bob Dylan for that matter) as dour without listening to the songs.

Morrissey has some tremendous humour in his songs.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Silver Pony- Cassandra Wilson- just a perfect record and voice for a languid summer morning. Most enjoying this track- Blackbird- her stylish take-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L104PyGsrWg

Next stop jumping into the swimming pool- the closest thing I have to the feel of the old swimming hole that this album gives me on a day like today- well maybe this one from her on another record-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VZ4rUdT ... re=related
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Jack of All Parades

Dave Alvin's King of California- under the tremendous blue skys over Pawling today- the blueness of "Blue Wing" is resonating with me- his cover of the Tom Russell update of Folsom Prison Blues- that and the delicious duet with Syd Straw on "What Am I Worth" the strong title song. Have to come back to this record more often.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Cass McCombs' "Dreams Come True Girl" was one of my favourite songs of 2009, so I was excited to pick up his latest album Wit's End.
Some may find the songs repetitive, too sparse and downbeat, but I am enjoying the album immensely.

Here's a sample :

If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Jack of All Parades

"Tanto Tempo" Bebel Gilberto- seductive rhythms and voice for a drowsy late summer morning! She augments my current mood quite nicely. Sleepy, seductive and yet quite sentient.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy8AHo3R-RM

or this appropriate one from the record- "August Day Song"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV8PoUWQ ... re=related
verbal gymnastics

All mod cons - The Jam
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Sat in the garden last night with a couple of cold beers and Outside and Hunky Dory.

Rumours that Bowie has retired made me fancy a revisit.
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

verbal gymnastics wrote:All mod cons - The Jam

One of my favourite albums of all time
Jack of All Parades

Bob Dylan Live 1966 Bootleg Series vol 4- it is making work pass very quickly this morning. No matter how many times I have played this album since its release in 1998, I never tire of it- its dynamic, almost incantatorical arrangements of the B-on-B material is invigorating[ the live version of "Just Like tom Thumb's Blues" is quite the revelation]. It begs to be played loud-office politics and politeness be damned.
Jack of All Parades

"'Round about Midnight" Miles Davis- perhaps my favorite record from that period in Jazz. My late father in law used to say that no man could do more with less and a mute than this man. He is right. The full, muted tone of this record always is a perfect antidote for me when I am in a Funk. The title song 'Round Midnight' just telegraphs the tightness and pristine sound of this unit. My favorite is "All of You", the old Cold Porter war horse, and nothing beats their playful take on "Bye, Bye Blackbird". This could well be the supreme quintet. And all solid names in Jazz history. I love the understated and elegant playing of Red Garland on piano and the assured brush work of Philly Joe Jones- who my wife says was one of the sweetest men she ever met as a young girl. I treasure this record.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Great news for all fans of Mike Scott and his band : The Waterboys release new album, An Appointment With Mr Yeats, on 19th of September.
I simply can’t get enough of the song “White Birds” taken from the album. The Waterboys at their best.

You may listen to the song here (don't worry, the link is safe - Soundcloud) :
http://tinyurl.com/43hhfef
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Jack of All Parades

Ah- Mr. Yeats- though I do hope they touch upon the more mature work rather than the early mystical, romantic poems.

Luxuriating with "Clifford Brown with Strings"- of the numerous albums from the late 40's and 50's where an artist works with a string section this may well be my favorite. From the year of my birth this album just purrs. Anchored by his partner, Max Roach, and his solid drumming, Brown just soars on these Neal Hefti arrangements with a tone that is to die for. Standouts for me are are "Starlight", "Willow Weep for Me", "Where or When" and the best version of "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes" for my money. This album never fails to satisfy. It is just so subtle in its dynamics.

Here is "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8tlPTMgQAI

and "Stardust"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5vvYUG9 ... grec_index
Jack of All Parades

"Speak No Evil"- Wayne Shorter, an album with wonderful wandering melodic and harmonic byways and a very open space feel to the sound. It is greatly enhanced by the beautiful playing of Herbie Hancock and Freddie Hubbard along with the young,old pros Ron Carter and Elvin Jones[whose time keeping is a revelation on this record]. There is a palpable calm and elegance and lyricism in many of the pieces. I also love how he worked ideas of folklore and legend into the individual songs with a sense of phantasmagoria filling the melodies. I particularly like his song, Dance Cadaverous, which takes off from Sibelius's Valse Triste. A powerful record that rewards many listens.

Here is Dance Cadaverous if you want to give it a listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLdCV5t5tb8
Jack of All Parades

"Lo and Behold" Songs of Bob Dylan Coulson Dean McGuiness and Flint

Have always loved this record ever since it appeared in 1972. Ecstatic that I found it a few weeks back on a CD reissue at a local shop. Have been reacquainting myself with its subtle and bewitching treasures ever since. At the time it was the only way I heard or knew of most of these songs. Still think many are definitive versions. Have to admire the playfulness they caught in the music. Have to agree with others that this may well be the best cover record of his material I have ever encountered. It still holds up with a freshness forty some years later. That says something about this record. It is not a time capsule but a living, breathing album that repays repeated listens. Love 'Sign on the Cross' and 'Lo and Behold' in particular. "Open the Door, Homer" never leaves my head.
Jack of All Parades

"Adam's Apple"- Wayne Shorter. Have my cup of 'Morning Thunder' by Celestial Seasonings along with a cinnamon raisin scone and my Sunday Times and the melody from the delectable "502 Blues[Drinkin' and Drivin'] track written by my father in law's pal Jimmy Rowles on now. Mr. Shorter at his creative peak for me and so ably assisted by Herbie Hancock. He was just coming into his own with Herbie in the Miles Davis Quintet when he made this solo record in 1966 The first and title track, 'Adam's Apple', always makes me want to dance. These two could swing at the drop of a hat.

Here is '502 Blues':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKR3rfChkuU
Jack of All Parades

"Bless Its Pointed Little Head"- Jefferson Airplane- this is time warp time. Not usually the biggest fan of live records but this one is an anomaly for me. I saw this band in a later incarnation in 1971 and this record brings back a good feeling about their live performing abilities. Not stuck to strict replays of the studio version of a song nor so self indulgent that a given song drifts off into soporific runs that are overly mindless in their construction. This may well be one of my favorite live albums back in the day. Love the admonition that one 'can move one's rear end now' by Grace. The remastered record with additional tracks is bringing back some pleasant memories and their live version of "today" and "Won't You try" are quite fun.
Jack of All Parades

Vivaldi-Six Double Concertos for Violin and Flute- Stern, Rampal and the Franz Liszt Chamber Orchestra. Not a more enjoyable way to get my morning started and I am having a fun time visualizing the Grand Canal. Always an exacting clarity and economy in this music.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

the noisy traffic.
Jack of All Parades

"My Aim Is True"= trying to get reacquainted as it is difficult to believe it is now going on 34 plus years-it is assisting me with working up the ambition to tackle a painting project on the homestead[ you know, a change your life goal].
migdd

Post by migdd »

On the deck this evening with Mrs. migdd, the latest delivery from Amazon and a bottle of Chardonnay:

Blessed - Lucinda Williams
The Old Magic - Nick Lowe
The Best of Glen Campbell

Starting from the top with Lucinda. Beautiful, swampy, organic country blues - and EC supplies some very nice lead (!) guitar accents.
verbal gymnastics

The Promise - Bruce Springsteen
Jack of All Parades

Haydn's First and Second Cello Concertos -Jacqueline du Pre and Daniel Barenboim with the English Chamber Orchestra. Could there not be a more fluid line than her playing? Vital, energetic. lyrical and just the tonic for this first fully feeling Fall day. This is musicianship of the highest order.