What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
verbal gymnastics

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by verbal gymnastics »

All mod cons - The Jam

Great album.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

"All La Glory" The Band

http://youtu.be/RuZYC4aiMn4
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
migdd

Post by migdd »

Tomorrow Is My Turn, the debut "solo" album from Rhiannon Giddens.

Fellow Carolinian Giddens really knows her musical history, particularly the history of music from the lower Piedmont. Most folks on this board know her from her involvement with The New Basement Tapes but nothing on that humdrum album can even hint at the talent on display here. Giddens blends bluegrass, regional Negro music and pure country blues into a wicked brew that both honors those traditions and spurs some of her best singing yet.

I've not felt this charged about a female vocalist since I had the fortune of seeing k.d. lang perform live at Spirit Square in Charlotte, NC back in 1989. Giddens is the real deal and this album is fertile ground.

I can't wait to see and hear her in the flesh at Spirit Square on April 1.
jardine

Post by jardine »

re giddens new cd, her voice on this new cd occasionally reminds me of anne sophie von otter.
verbal gymnastics

1989 - Taylor Swift

I'm enjoying it more than I expected.
migdd

Post by migdd »

jardine wrote:re giddens new cd, her voice on this new cd occasionally reminds me of anne sophie von otter.
Riddens studied opera and it shows through in some of her phrasings. You can hear some of that in the title track.
Jack of All Parades

Slightly more than half the way into 2015 and I think I have found my favorite record for the year. Two years ago "Southeastern" by Jason Isbell held my ears and mind in awe. His new record, released a week ago, "Something More Than Free", is having the same effect upon me this year. As I approach sixty I find myself more settled in my likes and dislikes and less inclined to tackle the new. Mr. Isbell has disturbed my equilibrium in challenging ways. He has expanded my ability to be empathetic and to be drawn outward towards other souls who may be struggling and in pain. He has taught me what craftsmanship and words can do when combined with simple but elegant melodies. He possesses a lyrical precision that most often reminds me of Flannery O'Connor at her comic/insightful best as one of her wounded characters would come to life on the page when I first read her. Isbell's people are imperfect and they often struggle against their imperfections trying to attain a quality of grace and dignity in their lives. Living an individual life is a struggle; it is not a pop song. The first song on the new record, "If It Takes a Lifetime", catches the intricacy of his writing-it is filled with lines that don't judge or preach but instead tell a story that pointedly speaks to the lives most people live today. I am particularly fond of the line about fighting 'the urge to live inside my telephone.' He puts this forth in a sprightly melody and with a honeyed tenor voice that belies the struggles given voice within the lyric. This is just one example from an album that is filled with comparable songs. His songwriting is daunting and I am in awe of his talent. He is playing in Stroudsburg, PA on my birthday. I am so tempted to play hookey from work and to take a road trip.

https://youtu.be/YIC4KY4Ak6s
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Fancy - Bobby Gentry
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

love me some T-swizzle, VG. She fascinates me for some reason. I find her songwriting/singing a little middle of the road, a little too cautious sometimes, but I keep trying to understand her nonetheless.

Gotta agree with you on Jason Isbell, Jack. I weeded half an acre of garden listening to that. Well to that and The Reef. But it was nice to be excited about an album!

Bobby Gentry!! sadly, the only Fancy I know is Iggy Azalea's. I will go now and listen in shame.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
verbal gymnastics

I also like Red by Taylor Swift.

I'm currently listening to Introducing Darlene Love. Great album. I'm really enjoying this one and there's some terrific songs on there. None of the contributing songwriters can be accused of giving her throwaway songs.
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

The New Basement Tapes..............finally
Tama Impala

and I am trying to wade through Captain Beefheart' s musical output until I find the stuff my friends used to play me during my single days between marriages. I asked them and they didn't know. (too many drugs to remember, them not me) Just started on Safe as Milk, good but not what I was looking for.

Oh the joy of spotify
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

verbal gymnastics wrote:All mod cons - The Jam

Great album.
Love it
Jack of All Parades

mood swung wrote:love me some T-swizzle, VG. She fascinates me for some reason. I find her songwriting/singing a little middle of the road, a little too cautious sometimes, but I keep trying to understand her nonetheless.

Gotta agree with you on Jason Isbell, Jack. I weeded half an acre of garden listening to that. Well to that and The Reef. But it was nice to be excited about an album!

Bobby Gentry!! sadly, the only Fancy I know is Iggy Azalea's. I will go now and listen in shame.
Go, Go, Go young Mr. Isbell- that album, like its predecessor, never wears out.

These days the new one from Dave Rawlings Machine- Nashville Obsolete. It is one languid and involved reflection on bad romance, transience, busted dreams and the meanness of Southern Gothic. Gillian Welch's plaintive harmonies are always there to punctuate the gloom. "Pilgrim" is one mean-spirited journey in the tradition of Dylan at his vitriolic best.
verbal gymnastics

Costello music - The Fratellis

I love this album.
Jack of All Parades

God, I love this. It is setting the tone for my day. How do six players manage to sound like a big band? Thank heaven for a young Clifford Brown.

https://youtu.be/3UVD4aO1yTQ
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Enjoying a new album from the Chills, their first in almost 20 years.
Bouncing melodies, fine arrangements, engaged lyrics - all in all, a great return.

If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Jack of All Parades

Wow- thank you for posting that. That is a band that has long been off my radar. I so enjoyed Submarine Bells and The Soft Bomb back in the day. I will have to check this out. Thank you, again.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

You're welcome, Jack. Glad to see an EC fan who also likes The Chills.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Jack of All Parades

Thanks to Poor Deportee I have been unable to get this song out of my head the last few weeks-it is providing an antidote to the negativity that is enveloping the land below the 49th and it is a good toe tapper, as well: "I'm going to where the women are big and tall"

https://youtu.be/DgiR63aabCs
verbal gymnastics

I'm currently listening to 5 year old mini VG2 singing Away in a manger whilst walking around holding a baby doll who is playing the part of the baby Jesus.

:D
Jack of All Parades

That is an image like 'sugar plums dancing' to plant in one's head.....

The remastered "Nebraska" in the cubicle-stark, high and lonesome and ominous- not the vision to have in one's head at this time of the year. Perhaps my favorite record by this musician.
verbal gymnastics

Nebraska is my favourite Bruce Springsteen album as well - I must give it a listen.
verbal gymnastics

I've been listening to a lot of Bruce Springsteen and got the 15CD 1978 Live Collection for Christmas. It's an unbelievably cheap price - £15!

I'm going to start on that one once I've listened to The River.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

HOW did you get that deal, VG?!

He's kind of lost me, since The Rising really, but am keen to check out some of these reissue things especially the officially released doco films of the respective periods - from Born To Run to The River. I have plenty of great bootlegs from that period, too.

On Topic: The Replacements
verbal gymnastics

Hi bambooneedle

It's always great to know you're still around.

This is the Bruce Springsteen set I'm referring to:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Complete-19 ... B0182RI9A0