What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

when Rod wuz God...
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Mike Boom wrote:when Rod wuz God...
You mean you don't like his crooning? :wink:
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Tis true that seldom has one so mighty fallen further.

...but hey, I can never totally put the hate on the guy, he can do what he wants , he's still produced more top notch rock n roll than most, nothing can ever tarnish the brilliance of those early Faces and solo material
echos myron like a siren
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

"...to a dead horse".

The Faces inspired many of my favourite rock bands in the 70's and 80's, the Black Crowes being one of the more obvious examples.

verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Bob Dylan - The Bootleg Series The "Royal Albert Hall" Concert.

Judas :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Waylon Jennings' Lonesome, On'ry & Mean. I think this might be my new favorite Waymore album which is a big thing because I love, love, love Waylon Jennings. He absolutely kills Mickey Newbury's great "San Francisco Mabel Joy" and does "Gone To Denver" better than Cash.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Getting ready for my first visit to my hometown of LA since 1988! Going out there in July to visit my sis and brother. Will be in LA for the World Cup finals.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

That's a hell of a long time to be away from your hometown!

I'm in Illinois with Sufjan. Sounds better than ever, wrapping my ears in beuatiful melody and subtle and complex arrangements. I had a great conversation with an 8/9 year old in Ireland in Feb who had gotten into this LP via a very enthusiastic local DJ. He knew all the song titles and was able to tell me things like 'A Short Reprise For Mary Todd, Who Went Insane, But For Very Good Reasons' was 49 seconds.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:That's a hell of a long time to be away from your hometown!
My parents both moved away (to Seattle and Connecticut) and my sis ended up in San Francisco. But my younger brother moved back there after graduating university to work as a TV/film production designer and now my sister has relocated from SF. So it's time!
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Otis Westinghouse

That's my Boy. Which CD? Do you have a favourite session or CD? Do you agree that even though it doesn't contain many of their classics, this set basically tells you all you need to know about The (Mighty) Fall? This plus 50,000 Fall Fans, or maybe the BWAP Fall compilation would see you through.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Otis wrote:
That's my Boy. Which CD? Do you have a favourite session or CD? Do you agree that even though it doesn't contain many of their classics, this set basically tells you all you need to know about The (Mighty) Fall? This plus 50,000 Fall Fans, or maybe the BWAP Fall compilation would see you through.
I was listening to the first one. No X-Mas For John Quays, The Classical et al....I would agree that this set gives as close of a full picture of the Fall that you are going to get. The compilation I made contains The Steak Place, which many purisits consider to be among their weakest and I think I leaned very heavily on their more "poppy" material. 50,000 Fall Fans would be the place to start for most.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Rod Stewart was also pretty good on this.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

I really like this one, I've Been Delivered in particular. And it's the only time I've heard Elvis sing with Dylan with nice results!
What this world needs is more silly men.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Breach was easily better than Red Letter Days (one called Empire In My Mind from that particularly stands out to me) and not as good as Bringing Down The Horse (a favourite album though) imo, but it is still great -- I like Sleepwalker, Hand Me Down and Witness a lot besides I've Been Delivered. I have their first album also but wouldn't recommend it particularly (didn't really have their stuff together). Have you heard their last album, Rebel, Sweetheart, KH?
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Chris Whitley - Living With The Law. Unbelievably good record.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Rod Stewart was also pretty good on this.

???
echos myron like a siren
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

It's hardly Stewart at his best but I like the way he sings on the album and I like the album.
---
This seems to be good to listen to just after I wake up...
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Richard Thompson's Rumor & Sigh and The Old Kit Bag (mainly for "A Love That Can't Survive") , Morrissey's Viva Hate! (I'm a Morrissey virgin so this is kind of a big deal for me) and Steve Martin's Let's Get Small.
Otis Westinghouse

bambooneedle wrote:It's hardly Stewart at his best but I like the way he sings on the album and I like the album
I didn't know Rod was on that Pulp LP?!?

Mike asked cos no LP cover appeared in your message. i wondered if you hate Rod and were being ironic.

I have that Pulp CD. It was £3 in Fopp, so I thought 'why not?' Only played it oncce, but surely I would like it if I played it x 5. Just seemed tired and dull to me, and not worthy of the name of the band that made His 'n' Hers and Different Class.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Well, Rumour and Sigh by Richard Thompson nevers gets old...fresh as the day I first heard it every time. Only a handful fit that category, and two are by Richard Thompson.

Listening to "The Ikon" from the first Todd Rundgren Utopia lp. All 31 minutes of it. Either Todd is a brilliant songwriter that demontrated a proclivity to using mind-altering drugs to enhance his muse (through a 3-4 album period beginning with "A Wizard A True Star") or he was (is?) a brilliant songwriter who had a spell of avant-garde creativity that is virtually unmatched in artists of his ilk.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Otis Westinghouse

Aimee Mann's Bachelor no. 2. What a cracking LP! I'd forgotten just how good every moment of it is.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Having some of this this morning. Beautiful pickin'...

bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
bambooneedle wrote:It's hardly Stewart at his best but I like the way he sings on the album and I like the album
I didn't know Rod was on that Pulp LP?!?

Mike asked cos no LP cover appeared in your message. i wondered if you hate Rod and were being ironic.

I have that Pulp CD. It was £3 in Fopp, so I thought 'why not?' Only played it oncce, but surely I would like it if I played it x 5. Just seemed tired and dull to me, and not worthy of the name of the band that made His 'n' Hers and Different Class.
That was Jeff Beck's Truth I'd posted. No, I don't hate Rod, even think he's good at the music he does now though it's not for me. I've always liked his voice.

You got a great bargain. Don't underestimate the mighty Pulp, We Love Life is just different - you just need to become very absorbed in it. At first I strained to follow the lyrics, most of the songs are so slow. But you'll see how well the lyrical imagery and everything else works together, it's a beautiful album - I think it comes together really well, and like every song on it, ultimately.

It's such a deliberate non-pop effort - there are many moments where it occurs to me that Jarvis Cocker could so easily have made it poppier or bolder (as much as even The Trees), but instead resisted to be able to describe more but in a less stunning way perhaps. More attention to details or making time to notice them are themes I kind of get from the album, what with the rather descriptive lyrics, the nature motifs, the textured sparseness... Love the way Cocker exaggerates slowness sometimes for ironic effect, and so on, to make you notice. The album is very entertaining when you listen closely enough. I was also skeptical at first, but not for long.
---

And I've listened to it a couple of times this evening, so it's time for a change to one of the best albums in heavy metal history:

Mötley Crüe - Too Fast For Love.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »