What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
ice nine

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by ice nine »

Ever since I got rid of my tape cassettes to graduate to CDs, I've been looking for Joe Jackson's Night and Day. I found it the other night at B&N and couldn't wait to listen to it after all these years. As soon as 'Another World' began to play memories of a younger me came. I forgot how good the whole album was. I now have a whole Joe Jackson marathon planned. I also picked up Perspex Island by Robyn Hitchcock & The Egyptians. I haven't listened to it yet, but I hear they are pretty good.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

A legal chance to preview of some of the soon to be released material on the Bootleg Vol. 10:

http://www.npr.org/2013/08/18/210228529 ... tw&cc=twmp
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Jack of All Parades wrote:A legal chance to preview of some of the soon to be released material on the Bootleg Vol. 10:

http://www.npr.org/2013/08/18/210228529 ... tw&cc=twmp
I'm holding off, dammit! :D But thanks for the link, Jack.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
Jack of All Parades

A Wednesday in the cube and the day is going to be spent with Joe Henderson- in this case the 1969 record "Power to the People". Glorious electronic jazz with basically a good chunk of the working unit from Miles Davis's band- Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, and Jack DeJohnette. This is a fusion form of jazz that is played with strength, intelligence and great passion. Henderson may never have sounded better on a record. Listen to his own composition "Black Narcissus":

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 2593,d.aWc

Another highlight is "Foresight and Afterthought[an impromptu suite] which highlights Henderson's inherent understanding of this classical form.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Jack of All Parades

New McCartney called "New"- channeling his inner Beatle and "Got to Get You Into My Life"- catch the doo-wop at the end that circles back through the decades and gives a new meaning to that title-New?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 ... _mark.html
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Jack of All Parades wrote:New McCartney called "New"- channeling his inner Beatle and "Got to Get You Into My Life"- catch the doo-wop at the end that circles back through the decades and gives a new meaning to that title-New?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 ... _mark.html
It doesn't quite recover the ineffable ebullience of the great Beatles records, but it's definitely pure "on his game" McCartney. I always thought it sadly befuddling that, according to Elvis, he spent most of his solo career consciously trying NOT to write using the dynamics and approaches he used as a Beatle. Whenever he does do this (e.g., "Jenny Wren" or "Fine Line" from Chaos and Creation) you're tantalized by the possibility that his muse hasn't actually declined nearly as much as his "garrulous sequence of solo albums" would suggest. Sigh.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

One of the songs from the new Prefab Sprout album I wrote about three weeks ago.
Excellent.

If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Typically delicious.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Jack of All Parades

Boy, that is fun. One tends to forget, due to the recent infrequency of recording, how good their 'sound' can be when they are firing on all cylinders.
Jack of All Parades

Sometimes you just luck out- like this 'blowin'' session led by Blue Mitchell from 1958-Out Of The Blue. It has been filling up my cube today with a relaxed, spunky sound. Mitchell on trumpet is fluid and mellow as he saunters through various blues variations. You can see why he was asked to join Horace Silver's Quintet around this time. He does wonders on a pretty Benny Golson piece titled "Blues on My Mind" which also features the composer on tenor sax. It also helps that nearly a good chunk of current and future Miles Davis side men are playing as well, including Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers and Sam Jones and that Art Blakey is spiriting the tempo. A sweet, bouncy album to help get me through the mid week blahs- thank god I am off the next two days taking some vacation and enjoying the bright blue skies that are to dominate my neck of the woods over the coming days.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Kermit Ruffins - Livin' A Treme Life

In a scene of the first season of the HBO show 'Treme', Elvis is in the audience enjoying the talents of some Kermit.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Jack of All Parades

Something new to sink one's teeth into from Arcade Fire- headed to the dance floor:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 ... video.html
Otis Westinghouse

Yeah, heard this was coming. Interesting that James Murphy produced. Well-suited to the dancier feel of this. Looking forward to hearing it all and seeing if it's a worthy successor to the magnificent The Suburbs.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

What a fun album! Good to have them back.

Otis Westinghouse

Never heard the third, couldn't be bothered, but how does it compare to 1 & 2?
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

If you liked the first two albums, I am sure you'd like this one, too.
The guys have returned to the tighter, more guitar-driven sound and they seem to be having a lot fun again. The songs are sharp, damn catchy and burst with pop hooks.
Give it a try, you will not regret it.
Otis Westinghouse

Am planning to on the strength of its acclaim. I've only heard the single/title track, which did sound like a return to the past. I think the first album stands up very well. Take Me Out is a regular in the sets of the covers band I play in and it always goes down well.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Another gem of a record from Bill Callahan.
I love the sparse arrangements of the songs and Callahan's low-pitched, seemingly detached vocals.
Admittedly, at first listen there is nothing here which is as instantly captivating for me as Too Many Birds from 2009's Sometimes I Wish I Were An Eagle but the new album will surely repay repeated listenings.
Otis Westinghouse

Ah ha. I keep seeing references to this album, Amazon prompting me, etc. I confess I know nothing of him. Like the cover. Must check it out.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

"Backatown" by Troy "Trombone Shorty" Andrews
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Jack of All Parades

I hate it when reality creeps in.......also had forgotten how melodic that bass playing is on this tune:

http://youtu.be/SQbr4ISrjII
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

The new Prefab Sprout (Paddy on his own really) is absolutely superb....like he's never been away. I'm blown away that someone can make a record like this despite being half bind and three quarters deaf....and yet still sounding as beautiful as he did thirty years after the classic Steve McQueen (Three Wheels Good)....I'm inspired by this man...a real one off and a true genius. Seeing such a comeback has really made me happy. I hope there are many more. :D
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Excellent, another Must Get. Inv Pole was excited and posted a track earlier. Knew about near blindness, but not near deafness. Poor Paddy! Could really do with some good new songs of his in my head. I remember walking across towards the Junction with you, presumably to see Lloyd C at the J2, where he'll be in a few weeks (though we're heading to the Union Chapel to see him), and discussing how the acoustic versioning of the Steve McQueen songs were almost better than the originals. I certainly turn to them first always - I love the way he captured them in acoustic perfection, and the quality of the songs shines through. Things like Bonny and Appetite. Just brilliant.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I remember that conversation Otis. A great show that one!

I was really disappointed with' Let's Change the World with Music' due to it's awful early 90s production values. This is bona fide great stuff from Paddy. I just love the man's gorgeous voice and his wonderful melodies. Have a listen to this and wonder at how he has kept his voice almost identical to when he was 25. By the way, apparently his hearing problem is extreme tinnitus and he says it has become more manageable so 3/4 deaf might be a little bit of an exaggeration on my part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMau_naD4xA
corruptio optimi pessima