What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Jack of All Parades

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by Jack of All Parades »

It has been a Wayne Shorter afternoon and his "JuJu" from 1964 has been staying with me. In particular two songs- "House of Jade" and "Mahjong". It is "Jade" that I really enjoy with its simple opening 8 bars that expand lyrically with the aide of his session mates- McCoy Tyner on piano, Reggie Workman on bass and Elvin Jones on drums. Tyner's playing on this song is eye opening as he freely takes the melody and spins elegant variations of the tune. I find this a very happy record.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Jack of All Parades

Picked this one up recently - "The Scene" featuring Jimmy Rushing, Zoot Sims, Al Cohn and Dave Frishberg on Piano and Major Holley on Bass. Recorded at several club dates in NYC in 1965 "Old Five by FIve" is in great form long after his heyday with the Basie Bands of the mid to late 30's. He is particularly effective on "Deed I Do", "I Cried For You" and "Good Morning Blues" Zoot and Al tear up two instrumentals- "It's Noteworthy" and Zoot's self penned anthem "The Red Door". Must have been some fun times as they all mesh so well. My wife tells a funny story from around that time of opening the door to their home as a little girl and upon seeing the immense Mr. Rushing commenting that he was fat- it earned her a spanking from her mom but she was only being honest as he was not called "Five by Five" for nothing. Fun record.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Jack of All Parades

Have to promote my brother in law. Joe heard here playing a few years back at the late club called Pearls in San Fransisco. l really like his new cd "Fuego" out on Criss Cross records. His skill at melodic and harmonic invention with the people he backs up never ceases to amaze me. When he plays in my living room with his sister, my wife, on piano it is a family night with music and if you add his daughter on trumpet it is a treat. Here is a taste of him at work:

http://youtu.be/xlbqn8Jl_zw

or this:

http://youtu.be/1yjZRG4Pl4s

And this short film about Joe's 'godfather'- Zoot Sims- shot just before his passing in 1985 has me in tears:

http://youtu.be/wRKgK1NLRlA
Jack of All Parades

The Mavericks- Gold- a sound compilation with over 40 tracks. Malo gives Orbison a run for his money with regularity. Solid, workmanlike arrangements with some occassional gems- saw them live once and was very impressed. Pepping up my office as we deal with the heat.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

First issue - Public Image Limited

I'd forgotten what a fantastic album this is, and how ahead of its time it was.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Was watching the very excellent part 4 of Punk Britannia last night - pretty much representatives of most of my favourite 1978-1982 bands on it, only thing missing was Josef K. Mark E Smith and John Lydon both sneering over Elvis! Hadn't seen the performance video for the eponymous 'Public Image' song in a long time. Brilliant. And also hearing Death Disco and Poptones. Cracking music. Keith Levene playing the riff off the latter on an acoustic. Lovely. What an amazing album Metal Box was. Still have it in a slightly rusty canister, but sadly no means of playing it. Maybe I should trade in my 33rpm Linn Sondek for something cheaper but decent that will play 45.

Much of First Edition left me cold compared to Met Box, but they were a great pioneering force at that time.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Jack of All Parades

Al Cohn/Freddie Green "Natural Rhythm"- a composite cd from two mid fifties recording sessions on RCA featuring the great rhythm section of the Basie band and my father in law. 22 tracks and not a dud amongst them. With the assistance of Joe Newman on trumpet, Milt Hinton on bass, Henry Coker on trombone and Jo Jones on drums- this record swings in that imimitable Basie way and my father in law gets to pay homage to one of his mentors- Lester Young. It is sophisticated, fun and timeless playing.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Was watching the very excellent part 4 of Punk Britannia last night - pretty much representatives of most of my favourite 1978-1982 bands on it, only thing missing was Josef K. Mark E Smith and John Lydon both sneering over Elvis!
What did Mark E. Smith say exactly?
I watched Punk Britannia a few days ago (and liked it a lot) but could not quite understand his mumble. :)
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Jack of All Parades

"John Wesley Harding"- consistently my favorite Dylan record over the years and the very first record of his that I have owned. Passions have come and gone for me but my love of this record has never ebbed. Its three verse gnomic lines have puzzled and entertained me since I was a thirteen year old in 1968. Right now "I Pity the Poor Immigrant" is playing and I am enthralled by its deft sense of longing for innocence. I remember that time in which this album was fermented-1968- it seemed like dramatic change was everywhere. This album spoke to a vision of some constancy amongst its many images of impending drama and dread. I value it still today for that sense of inner strength to be found in the love of a man and a woman in its closing songs.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Ryan Adams' "Ashes & Fire"
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
migdd

Post by migdd »

Heat Treatment.

. . . baby sweet treatment.

GP and the Rumour.
Jack of All Parades

The very adult and strong harmonies of these two sisters- First Aid Kit- have come into my ken. Have heard them now on the radio and on Spotify. They have my attention these days with their close harmonies and this delicious nod to their elders- "Emmylou". I respect the admonition in the chorus that all I want is for you to sing with me- well that and the fact that I am always a sucker for good pedal steel guitar. I think worth checking out.

http://youtu.be/uVxP_dxrIUs
Otis Westinghouse

invisible Pole wrote:What did Mark E. Smith say exactly?
I watched Punk Britannia a few days ago (and liked it a lot) but could not quite understand his mumble. :)
Can't recall the exact wording. Some pissed up mumbling and laughter re New Wave and Elvis getting a namecheck. Smith either sounded pissed, or like he's done so much damage to his brain he is permanently like him, like shane MacGowan, not that I've heard him speak in the last 5 years.

Today I'm back on The National's High Violet, one of my favouritest guitar band records of recent years. So many good songs. 'Bloddbuzz Ohio' one of the most exciting songs of recent years. 'I still owe money to the money to the money I owe' - great line.
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Jack of All Parades wrote:The very adult and strong harmonies of these two sisters- First Aid Kit- have come into my ken. Have heard them now on the radio and on Spotify. They have my attention these days with their close harmonies and this delicious nod to their elders- "Emmylou". I respect the admonition in the chorus that all I want is for you to sing with me- well that and the fact that I am always a sucker for good pedal steel guitar. I think worth checking out.

http://youtu.be/uVxP_dxrIUs
Ear candy to be sure. A quick scan of their other material suggests writing that is competent but not stellar...but a great sound goes a long way and they've got that.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
Jack of All Parades

PD- 'ear candy' for sure. Just what I want on these hot, hot days. You get it right, I think, in noting their competence as songwriters. What snagged my attention and has held it is the sound- the close, close harmonies.
Jack of All Parades

Otis Westinghouse wrote: Today I'm back on The National's High Violet, one of my favouritest guitar band records of recent years. So many good songs. 'Bloddbuzz Ohio' one of the most exciting songs of recent years. 'I still owe money to the money to the money I owe' - great line.
Knew you would come around. For my money the closest American Band to Elbow- strong singer and lyrical images and a very strong sense of dynamics. And I think for your taste some very strong, muscular drumming. These days "Lemonworld" and "Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks" do not leave my play list- that image of college boys and water in the former never fails to make me chuckle.

Good video of 'Vanderlyle' here:

http://youtu.be/lXMhOixwyew
Otis Westinghouse

I've been a serious fan of that album for months. I think I was a bit slow to get them, the voice was a bit too low-key at first (though far less so than Kurt Wagner), and apart from 'Fake Empire' I haven't hugely got the preceding one Boxer (which WSS was kind enough to give me a download code for on the back of his vinyl copy, but suspect I would with more playing. High Violet grabbed me from early on and is one of those magnificent albums where every track counts and has merit and depth. Yes, superb drumming, muscular but intricate and carefully planned out. I'd love to see them live.
Jack of All Parades

I, too, share an inability to enter "Boxer". It is nearly impenetrable for me, to the point where a while back I exchanged it at Rhino Records for something more listenable. "High Violet" however hums with an energy from song to song; it's inherent sense of musical dynamic spills forth, going from song to song, as lyrical image, percussion, guitar chords and vocals ebb and flow throughout the entire record. It is a musical experience that has to be listened to in total. Cherry picking random songs does the album a disservice. In this it is very much like "the Suburbs" from the same year.
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

I'm not sure I'm really gonna recommend this one per se, but Lindi Ortega came onto my radar screen as a result of getting some attention in alt-country circles here in the frozen north:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wksfmRPP ... foGAZBYmKQ

Her songwriting is not quite where it needs to be in my opinion. It's only sporadically outright bad, but on the whole it's a little bit too caught up in clichéed motifs - a spoonful of Gillian Welch, deviously re-rendering of older tropes, would help - and a little too youthfully callow. But it's almost there.

What really blows your socks off, of course, is her powerhouse voice, with its commanding confidence and Dolly Patron quaver - her innate sense of drama and her ebullient swagger. And she is already getting a rep as a human dynamo of a live performer. Lots of ingredients to like here, and if she ever puts it all together she could really be something.
Jack of All Parades

PD- she is now on my radar screen- thank you. She does channel Dolly. I think I even hear some Gillian in that "Little Red Boots" but I have to say I prefer the "Black Fly" song- the tropes are cliched but she delivers them with a conviction that makes you still take notice. Yet another Canadian- she apparently hails from Toronto but you knew that probably.

http://youtu.be/8Csc21rcF6E

"Black Fly"
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Jack of All Parades wrote:PD- she is now on my radar screen- thank you. She does channel Dolly. I think I even hear some Gillian in that "Little Red Boots" but I have to say I prefer the "Black Fly" song- the tropes are cliched but she delivers them with a conviction that makes you still take notice. Yet another Canadian- she apparently hails from Toronto but you knew that probably.

http://youtu.be/8Csc21rcF6E

"Black Fly"
I enjoy the swaggering drama of 'Little Red Boots' but 'Black Fly' is probably the better song - it was that which I heard played on CBC radio and and caused my antenna to vibrate :lol: The album is available from iTunes for $7.99, so provided one is willing to go with that format, you get your money's worth regardless of the rough edges. (This is a good example of my informal policy of buying CDs for 'major' albums - such as the forthcoming Dylan!!!! - and considering iTunes for such impulse buys). Anyway: she's one to watch, certainly. A ton of raw talent.
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

I like Lindi Ortega a lot. I got her album last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. One of my favorite songs is "All My Friends" which is the perfect song to get drunk on those kind of nights.

Yeah, her writing is nothing out of this world but that voice is amazing. I remember hearing her do a Bob Dylan cover but I couldn't find it. In any case, here's All My Friends

http://youtu.be/jqu_II8amWw
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
Jack of All Parades

I like the tinny piano that filters though out that one. But some of those rhymes are lazy- that 'cigarettes and wine' verse for instance. But it altogether hums along and her voice can cover a multitude of 'writing' mistakes.
Jack of All Parades

Bach's The English Suites with Glen Gould. This is making the mundane routine at work pass with a timely precision that moves quite nicely to the counterpoint in the pieces. Something about working to this music- it inspires a precision or preciseness that often excapes me if I am working in silence. There is the added bonus that when the wife calls she notices the Bourrees #1 and #2 in the Suite #2 A minor and promptly begins humming them into my ear as I am provided an additional musical treat in my day.
Jack of All Parades

Today- The Well- Tempered Clavier Books 1 and 2 Glenn Gould--helping the morning to pass and causing me to look forward to a home concert this evening as the wife will tackle Book 1 on her piano-though minus Glenn's humming but probably with a bit of un ladylike cursing eminating from the front room as fingers stubbornly refuse to follow Bach's musical notations!