What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Listening again, for the first time in a long time, to The Pogues' first three albums.

Fucking superb.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Amy Rigby's new album Little Fugitive, which I bought based on the stickers on the cover that say:

"Embracing Byrds-like pop melodies, garage rock and a hint of psychadelia, Rigby's in a class by herself." (Chicago Tribune)

"Like Richard Thompson and John Prine, Amy Rigby appears to have the gift of consistent excellence" (All Music Guide)

"gem-luminous" (No Depression)

They're not lying. It's really, really great. Classy, clever, poppy singer-songwriter stuff from this old punkie. Not a skipped track in sight. So good I've ordered what I've found from her back catalogue, although I couldn't find a copy of the presumably classic Diary of a Mod Housewife anywhere. But I'll keep looking.

Buy! Buy! Buy!
What this world needs is more silly men.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

KH, heard a very positive review of that a few months ago on NPR's "Fresh Air". Sounds interesting.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Has she got an aunt called Eleanor?

I'm very into Elbow's latest right now. Do believe the hype, they've come up trumps with this one.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

they're called boobs, Ed.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Otis Westinghouse

What are? And who's Ed?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow

Terrific melodic pop album, full of humor. "Turn A Square" my favorite tune from this one.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Erin Brokovich was on last night, Otis. That's what I was listening to.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Otis Westinghouse

Oh I see! I thought you were being the Ed(itor) and interjecting. that's a film I've never seen.

The new Franz F LP, specifically Do You Want To? It's a very listenable LP, some very strong songs. It lacks the appeal of the first for me, to a fair extent, and I welcome the suggestion by them that their next LP will sound very different or they run the risk of 'doing a Coldplay'. It's like an anti-Elbow - totally opposite in terms of jerky, up-front pop vs. restrained, beguiling subtlety, and Elbow is just knocking my socks off (especially Great Expectations, which, as Bad Ambass observed, has to be one of the songs of the year), but I like this for a good shot of vim and vigour, and both LPs are distinguished by some excellent meloides, and I'd much rather have them at the top of the charts than so much other negligible dross.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I really like this - jangly, reverb-y, psychedelic guitar pop. Good stuff...

Otis Westinghouse

Neil Young, Manchester, 1973, another Dimeathon. Sounds distorts a bit, but it's still perfectly listenable. Some great stuff on it like Tired Eyes, Albuquerque, Helpless...
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

This morning's selection:

Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Bad Ambass:

Are you familiar with Coltranes "Crescent"? It is every bit as strong as Blue Trane.

I am at work listening to Music for Darkened Theatre, Vol.s I and II. Danny Elfman. Great stuff.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

Mr. Average wrote:Bad Ambass:

Are you familiar with Coltranes "Crescent"? It is every bit as strong as Blue Trane.
I'm not, no, but you've got me intrigued.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

When you pick up Crescent (Wynton Marsalis favorite Coltrane album by far, which ain't all that bad of an endorsement), make sure you pick up one of the top five recordings in my collection:

John Coltrane/Johnny Hartman. No title. Six songs only, any one of which carries the record to another level. Less than 30 minutes of some of the most wonderful music. Hartman has a golden throat that perfectly, and I mean perfectly merges with Coltranes sound. This is not avant garde, fusion, or be-bop. This is very traditional, straight forward jazz in the vein of North, but far better than anything on North. And believe it or not, I honestly believe that Elvis might agree with me on that last statement.

I think both are on Impulse.

Oh Man!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Mr. Average wrote:John Coltrane/Johnny Hartman. No title. Six songs only, any one of which carries the record to another level. Less than 30 minutes of some of the most wonderful music. Hartman has a golden throat that perfectly, and I mean perfectly merges with Coltranes sound. This is not avant garde, fusion, or be-bop. This is very traditional, straight forward jazz in the vein of North, but far better than anything on North. And believe it or not, I honestly believe that Elvis might agree with me on that last statement.
That's a terrific album - Johnny Hartman's solo stuff on Impulse! is worth checking out as well. I have this one, and it's boss:

Otis Westinghouse

Never even 'eard of 'im, but sounds well good. Must check out the Coltrane collaboration.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Ah, EC's "No Action" playing at the moment on KEXP. :-)

Wish all radio stations were like this - full of surprises.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

You will like the Coltrane Hartman collaboration.

I purchased it on the strength of a comment Miles made before he died (in a downbeat article), and I ran it by Bobby Columbi (founder: Blood Sweat and Tears, producer of first Jaco Pastorius solo album on Epic Records, Exec VP of Creative Development for Sony Music, and friend of Miles) during a long West to East Coast trip a few years ago. We sat together and talked about music production styles, artists, what he looks for, and who really hired David Clayton Thomas (he did). He sends me obscure Miles Davis stuff on my birthday. What a cool guy. Nerdy. Agitated. Remarkably friendly. Before I knew it was him I thought I was sitting next to a wirey version of John Candy's character Del Griffith from the film Planes Trains and Automobiles. Bobby's work with BST include classics like Lucretia McEvil. Spinning Wheel. And When I Die. If you know these songs, you've been around for a while.

Bobby told me to buy the Coltrane/Hartman it if I could find it. At that time, it was very difficult to find. It has become easier to come by, and it is well worth it. Absolutely beautiful and will grab you on the first listen. Makes sure you have some cocktail glasses to click occasionally, and even if you don't smoke, light up an L and M and let it burn in an ashtray. Turn the lights down low.

Very romantic stuff.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Lately, Thievery Corporation's Cosmic Game, especially "Revolution Solution." Excellent song.

Also, for some reason, have been listening to some Groove Armada. "Purple Haze" about a million times over and over ...

And Kanye's "Gold Digger" ... :oops:
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Elliot Smith's subtle rendition of Big Star's "Thirteen"
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

PIP

I am glad that you like the Thievery Corporation. If you like Cosmic Game, try Babylon Rewound, and extended play with mixes. It is a little more loose than Cosmic Game, but I like the Cosmic Game approach, which was novel when Soul to Soul employed it on Jazzy D's first recording, became cool when Carlos Santana did it on his much heralded Grammy album (which, in my opinion, is really substandard work for Carlos), and is generally accepted with Crystal Methods Legion of Boom CD.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Feel Like Going Home: The Charlie Rich Anthology. Nearly as essential as the air we breathe.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Mr. A, Ive also heard The Mirror Conspiracy, which I like. "Lebanese Blonde" is a cool song. Its all still sort of growing on me though. Is Babylon Rewound better than the two Ive heard? Im interested in the whole downbeat/ambient/trip hop -y genre, but I really dont know my way around it very well just yet.

It all still seems so huge and expansive ...