What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
nord

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by nord »

Sounds like a really great album. Like it. I´m waiting for my vinyl edition from Amazon. Those digital "things" are not the same.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I see - that answers my question, which was whether your jauntily angled iPhone was on a sleeve of the LP as it occurred to me the pattern looked like the album sleeve, but clearly not. But I am sure you chose the pattern deliberately as your listening montages are invariably works of art!

I don't buy vinyl, but I admire you for doing so. It's great at least to have a music system with a good sound as it makes so much difference.

The album is too long, unfortunately, but at least it's all good.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Probably my favorite album of the year so far...

May not be saying a whole hell of a lot since my record buying budget has been slashed, but it's great anyway - real stripped down guitar/drums blues as is their normal style, augmented with little touches of keyboard here and there. These guys would be great to open for Tom Waits.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

My niece and her band Tuba Skinny as they are being played right now on WVKR, Vassar's radio station. They have been working the Woodstock area lately having played a date at the Bearsville Theater last week along with pickup gigs in the area. Very happy for her that they are getting this exposure. With her father playing this weekend at Dizzy's Club Coca Cola at Lincoln Center in the tribute to Jobim and Bossa-Nova will be a fun weekend to listen to the family's musical efforts. That and my wife playing through Bach's Two and Three Part Inventions on the piano in the next room. Fun!
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
nord

Post by nord »

(THIS time the iPhone is on top of the Arcade Fire sleeve)

I went "digital" this summer and put all my CD´s into iTunes.
Many of my favourite records are on LP, so I have been buying a lot of CD´s that I already had on vinyl lately.
The latest batch from Amazon was Fear of Music (excellent!!!), Pin Ups (good), David Live (sucks) and Stage.
Stage is surprisingly good. I don´t think I have played it since the 80´s. The trackorder is changed and there are some bonustracks. Maybe thats why?
nord

Post by nord »

I am trying to complete my Bowie iTunes collection and ordered Tonight (the last new Bowie record I bought for almost 20 years), Never Let Me Down (never heard it, but it is supposed to be really bad), The Buddha Of Suburbia and Live Santa Monica '72 (I am looking forward to both of them).

I think I am only missing the Tin Machine albums and the Ziggy movie album.

Otis Westinghouse

I too liked the reordered Stage a lot more, but, however, I love David Live, more than Stage, even - I find the arrangements totally fascinating. Musicianship is great, live footage, what there is of it, is superb, oh to have been in the auditorium. I love the whole mid-70s Bowie narrative. Ziggy goes to the US (witness the fabulous Santa Monica show - you'll love it), Aladdin Sane is born, then things get weirder and druggier with Diamond Dogs, and then he sails to New York, re-records Rebel Rebel in a slightly funked up style, then hits the road, coked off his head, gets more towards the Philly sound, takes breaks from the itinerary to record the most incredible white boy soul, appears on Dick Cavett out of his gourd, sniff, sniff, and then repairs to a darkened room in LA and gets a masterpiece he can't even recall. And so on. All fascinating. Can't wait for the Station to Station reissue (see the Bowie thread). I guess I'll have to settle for the regular version, can't spend £85 on the deluxe... Tonight is awful and NLMD worse. I don't own that. Prob never will. Can't be bothered with Tin Machine either. Buddha of Suburbia is good, though.
Otis Westinghouse

Listened to a bit of David Live in the car today- stand by my judgement, great stuff. And what a band. A DVD would have been better. There are some great clips in the awesome and legendary Cracked Actor Alan Yentob Arena series documentary, and I think that's all I've ever seen, but it does imply full concerts were filmed. Would love that.

How are you enjoying 'The Suburbs', Nord, or anyone else who has it? It's all totally growing on me and obsessing me as much as the Stieg Larsson 'Girl WIth Dragon Tattoo' I'm engrossed in right now. What a fabulous record. So many good songs. I'm hearing lots of Neil Young in it. A really interesting blend of influences, but yet a sound/vibe/world-view that's entirely their own. Going to see them a second time in December, couldn't resist the trek to a large venue in Birmingham for it. I'd put the Ally Pally gig from their last tour in my top 5 gigs of all time, no prob, and now they've got a whole new masterpiece to draw from, it can only get better. Totally worth it just for the 'goosebumps on my goosebumps' sensation of seeing Wake Up live for a second time. Unbeatable excitement.

Talking of goosebumps, that quote was from a review of Joanna Newsom live, which is the next gig I'm going to, Birmingham Symphony Hall to hear that haro and voice with fabulous acoustics. Can't wait, so some serious indulgence in the other masterpiece of 2010, 'Have One on Me', plus revisiting 'Ys'.
nord

Post by nord »

I have to agree on David Live, it´s not that bad. It´s quite good, or at least a lot better than I remember it.

I think The Suburbs are their best album, but I have to admit I don´t listen to a new album as intensively as I used to.
20 years ago when I heard a new record for the first time I could play it ten times successively before I flipped it over.
Nowadays I listen to a new album two-three times and wait for a week or two before I revisit it.

(Right now I am listening to TJL bonus disc)
Otis Westinghouse

As with Stage, Visconti's hand in the remixing and remastering paid big dividends. DL was particularly problematic in that Visconti wasn't able to supervise the recording as planned, so mics were in the wrong place, etc. And the musicians pull out all the stops despite hearing they weren't going to be paid the customary extra fee for a live recording:

http://www.bowiegoldenyears.com/davidlive.html

Every year or so, a CD comes out that I just have to play over and over, and this year there have been two, though The Suburbs far more. There's something magical when the whole is the sum of more than its parts, and I find that here. It's just a shame they couldn't hold it back to 12 songs, then I would probably play it straight through each time, As it is, I play 8-9 at a time! It doesn't have a single standout track like Wake Up, but there are some huge highlights: title track, Ready to Start, Modern Man, Empty Room, Half Light 1 and, still my favourite, Suburban War, which reminds me of the feel of a teen years favourite, Blue Oyster Cult's Don't Fear the Reaper. Rococo could have gone, and maybe Deep Blue and one or two others. Haven't fully engaged with the words yet, I often don't for quite a while, but I love the feel of them and how they work with the music. There's something thrilling in a band who have, inevitably, echoes of other bands, but three LPs in a sound, a worldview and a feel that is entirely their own, and fantastic with it. They had it straight off with Funeral, but take it up a notch or two here.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Highway 61 Revisited - His Bobness
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

heck, yeah!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

at my daughter's suggestion. a toe-tapper, 2 thumbs up. Bluegrass enthusiasts take note. That means YOU, oily slick.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

After The Gold Rush
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

backed up the the Avett Bros. Most awesome.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

I somehow missed this one when it came out a couple of months ago.

Lovely album from Kurt Wagner (Lambchop) and Cortney Tidwell - Invariable Heartache

And here's a sample :

If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Otis Westinghouse

Been wondering if that was good. That sounds nice. Lambchop's OH (Ohio) has become one of my favourite records ever. I've picked up a bunch of their earlier ones, but not yet their most celebrated (Nixon, Is a Woman, Aw Come On...), so more pleasure ahoy there, but I'm also drooling over the Boxset, which contains something like 7 CDs of rarities including a covers one and 2 live DVDs. Yum. You can get it for c. £60.

Sigh, too much good music out there.
verbal gymnastics

Revolver - The Beatles
verbal gymnastics

You are the quarry - Morrissey
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Owen Pallett's (a.k.a. Final Fantasy) Heartland:
http://www.owenpalletteternal.com/

Also, never thought I'd say this... but rather blown away by this version of Jacques Brel's Ne Me Quitte Pas.
Say what you will about Celine, but damn, the woman can sing.

invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Took two days off from work so - apart from house work - I'll be catching up with some of the latest releases.
First - JP, Chrissie & The Fairground Boys - "Fidelity!"

Sad how some stuff get completely, and undeservedly, overlooked.
This one is a very solid piece of pop/rock music, not to mention Chrissie Hynde's voice, which is as sexy as ever.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

IP- you are so right about this record, witness"

Re: Recent CD Purchases

Postby Christopher Sjoholm » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:01 am
"JP, Chrissie & The Fairground Boys' "Fidelity"- really having fun with this record. It is a pleasure to have her voice front and center and engaged in some adult material. She appears to have caught inspiration from what I can only assume is an inspiring new love in her life, this case a younger man who has her fired up and firing on all cylinders with her music. There are sparks on this record between her and her new 'friend' JP Jones and they have allowed for some fine playing and singing and emotional engagement. There is something empowering and meaningful about a middle aged woman finding romance and fun in an adult relationship. She doesn't shy away from exploring all its implications from pure lust to the interrogative doubts contained in the song, "Leave Me if You Must". I like the love affirming final song "Fidelity!'. This line from the opening song on the album sums up the intelligent fun of this record for me:

"I found my perfect lover but he's only half my age
He was learning how to stand when I was wearing
My first wedding band
I found my perfect lover but I have to turn the page
But I want him in my kitchen and standing on my stage."

Why do women have to punish themselves over their joy? Love how she even works in a Shakespeare reference 'Shakespeare was good, but you're even better, you're tragic and comic to the last letter". Nice record all around."

I still consistently play it. But boy it did disappear from view pretty quickly- my local radio station, WDST, played it for awhile but it was very much ignored. Glad you like it as well.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Chris, your excellent review somehow escaped my memory. Very glad more people on this board like this record.

Next up : Bill Callahan - Sometimes I Wish We Were An Eagle.

I can imagine that at first listen, and to some ears, it may sound dull and repetitious, but it struck a perfect chord with me right from the very start with its subtle arrangements and simple, yet beautiful, melodies.
The song "Too Many Birds" with the unfolding last line is a favourite of mine (though I have no clue what he's on about :) )

Here is the sample from YouTube (only audio):
Otis Westinghouse

Wasn't even aware of this new Chrissie venture. 'If You Let Me' on spotify. Great stuff. God I love that voice.